The pug gets a brush up - quick 4 hour "detail"

devonutopia

Took a day off work today, mainly due to having too much accrued holiday but also because the weather looked dry, bit of sun, and warm so a good day to brush up the Pug. Paintwork is generally OK, but it needed something doing. Lots of areas of slight cloudiness and quite a few nearside hedge hitting fine scratches.

Started off claying the car and de-tarring. Quite a lot of tar so that took most of the time. I reckon half the work was simply the de-tarring and the claying. Generally the paint wasn't too contaminated, apart from low down.

Then taped up some main bits of trim ready for machining

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The nearside wing was probably the most scratched / bad looking part. But it came up quite nice. Couple of marks still left but overall much better

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Then there was the bonnet. It was quite cloudy - no reflection. That bit down the bottom on the before shot looks cleaner because I spent a little while getting some sticker glue/gunk off the bonnet. Well caked on. Must have polished it a bit at the same time.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Looking down the nearside after polishing

DSCN3897.jpg

A look at the bonnet

DSCN3898.jpg

and the roof

DSCN3899.jpg

Offside before I started polishing

DSCN3900.jpg

and afterwards, with some bumper & trim gel applied all round. Not masses of difference from back far, but up close it is definitely better.

DSCN3901.jpg

All thats left now is to fit the wheeltrims which arrive on Monday, and do a little touching up of some nasty chips and scratches here and there. You might have also spotted the attempted bit of repsraying on the bottom nearside sill in shots 1 (primer) and 7 (paint). It was the only bit I felt needed taping up and given a proper bit of respray work. Should definitely look way better than before.

Oh and if anyone is interested all polishing was done using a Kestrel DA, SFX-1 (toughest) polishing pad, and just Autoglym SRP - not wasting any of very good polishes on this car :D

• 1 month later...