Impressed by DSG

raisbeck

I had believed myself to be fully converted to Diesel.I hadnt figured on being given a 3000 mile 1.2 Tsi DSG 105ps courtesy car.

What a fantastic piece of kit. So much power and acceleration from something so small! This was coupled to the equally impressive DSG box. Completely smooth accelaration, no jerks or judders from the gear changes, in fact the only clue was the rev counter flicking up and down as it changed. I tried not to like it, I really did but I found virtually nothing to not like about it. The response form the engine is superb made even better when in Sport Mode.

I know the diesel lump in my Greenline is noisy by any standards but the quietness of the Tsi engine took me by surprise. I tried the sequential manual selection mode but to be honest I soon realised it was easier just to leave it in drive.

Its tempting to trade in my Greenline but the depreciation of mine and the mpg difference (70+ on my Greenline) put pay to that for a while.

After playing about with the Tsi a while I did drive as economically as I could. This gave an indicated 48mpg over 20 miles on varying roads. Thats comparable to my old 1.2HTP.....albeit with a HUGE difference in power and driveability.

The only marginally negative point I could find (this equally may have been my unfamiliarity with the car) was that when pulling away gently and the need arises to react quickly and accelarate there was a noticeable lag before it took off like a startled rabbit. I guess using manual briefly would resolve this....

I need to go say nice things to my Greenline now, its ears are burning.

Yes need to give it a clue and select sport mode for example approaching roundabouts, in my experience. It's a very hard combo to argue against though, especially with diesel prices heading skyward (near me the difference is 10 to 12p at the moment).

Yes need to give it a clue and select sport mode for example approaching roundabouts, in my experience. It's a very hard combo to argue against though, especially with diesel prices heading skyward (near me the difference is 10 to 12p at the moment).

I'm paying £1.47 for vpower diesel in the crtdi 1.6 105 bhp

This gave an indicated 48mpg over 20 miles on varying roads. Thats comparable to my old 1.2HTP.....albeit with a HUGE difference in power and driveability.

The only marginally negative point I could find (this equally may have been my unfamiliarity with the car) was that when pulling away gently and the need arises to react quickly and accelarate there was a noticeable lag before it took off like a startled rabbit. I guess using manual briefly would resolve this....

Our HTP 12V 70 and 1.2TSi DSG have very similar economy below motorway speeds. At 70mph+ the TSi os more economical due to the 7 speeds taller gearing.

The lag you experienced is exactly the same as if you approached a roundabout in say third in a manual but then decided you need second and had to change down. You soon learn to drive around this by using a progressive throttle when accelerating in that situation. Alternatively just knock the gear lever to manual on approaching the juntion and preselect a gear. To be honest once you know the box it isn't an issue.

The 1.2TSi DSG is an ultra smooth package, smoother than my 2.0CR DSG Passat once on the move although the wet clutch DSG on the Passat is smoother at very low speed.

Cheers

Lee

Call me a party pooper but isn't this why you buy an automatic, so that you don't need to be playing around with auto box when driving in normal traffic? Hils fair enough, allow yourself to change into a gear appropriate to enough engine braking, but not for general driving.

I'm not saying you should lose all sense of driving technique because you drive an auto but I didn't pay the extra dosh to then have to be thinking about what situation is coming up and what gear I need to be as I'll buy a manual for that and enjoy it more.

It's just a question of technique. There are several ways to 'prepare' any auto box for what's coming, the point is that 'rolling' starts in the dry-clutch DSG can catch it out as it will be in 2nd, probably under 1,500rpm so you loose twice; low revs and no boost.

In a good conventional auto (octavia 1.8t/auto for example) that would cause it no issue as the viscous coupling would be declutched, so as soon as you hit the gas the revs will rise enough to bring the turbo on-boost if required and everything would be smooth. Whereas the DSG has to choose gears just like you would in a manual..., hence the problem.

In the horrid Smart Car gearbox, that can be accounted for by stabbing (hard!) the throttle momentarily on the approach, to cause the box to shift down in anticipation, not worked it out completely yet in the DSG but sport mode seems to work most the time. Actually that method worked in the Octavia 1.8t/auto too to prepare it for an overtaking move too. There is no lurch with the anticipatory 'stab' as the ECU realises the first thing needed is a gear change.

One nice feature of the DSG is the automatic downshifting to provide engine braking on decents.

Call me a party pooper but isn't this why you buy an automatic, so that you don't need to be playing around with auto box when driving in normal traffic? Hils fair enough, allow yourself to change into a gear appropriate to enough engine braking, but not for general driving.

I'm not saying you should lose all sense of driving technique because you drive an auto but I didn't pay the extra dosh to then have to be thinking about what situation is coming up and what gear I need to be as I'll buy a manual for that and enjoy it more.

I almost regret mentioning the pulling away issue. This isnt as big a problem as maybe I led people to believe. Even with this scenario I would happily buy a DSG. Clearly folks are aware of it and a simple flick of the selector deals with it. To be fair I have been caught out before off boost in my Greenline pulling out and it all got a bit embarrassing.

No system is perfect,but IMHO the DSG comes close.

The 7 speed DSG in my Roomster has at least 3 modes when kept in D (no need to select S or manual). Accelerate gently from a standstill and it will change up at around 2k revs, a bit more right foot and it gets closer to 3k revs before changing up, floor it and you get the kickdown mode to activate which lets you get close to the redline before changing gear.

In some ways it would be nice to get an idea of some of the DSG software logic but after a few thousand miles you get used to this and whether you need to change gearbox modes with your right foot or your left hand.

Edited by hertsnminds

I recently had a drive of a Fabia vRS (thanks sharkrider!) and I was mightyly impressed with the gearbox!

I like driving auto's as it is but was really impressed with how the dsg drove.

Would love to see what the 1.2 tsi is like... the 1.4 tsi in the vRS was just stunning... even with 4 of us in the car ;)

I recently had a drive of a Fabia vRS (thanks sharkrider!) and I was mightyly impressed with the gearbox!

I like driving auto's as it is but was really impressed with how the dsg drove.

Would love to see what the 1.2 tsi is like... the 1.4 tsi in the vRS was just stunning... even with 4 of us in the car ;)

you are welcome , glad you enjoyed it :thumbup:

you are welcome , glad you enjoyed it :thumbup:

It's a cracking car. I often drive my wife's in preference to my Yeti (and I love the Yeti). The gearbox also adapts itself to your driving style after a while.

I must admit I like my DSG 'box in the Golf, the 1.6TDi seems well mated to it and smooth... and its sooo much quieter than the 1.9PD... If only Skoda had done that combination in the Roomie or the Fabia estate I wouldn't have needed to change manufacturer (well, sort of...)...

Well you may have bottomless pockets but I haven't... And anyhow i prefer that way a decent diesel engine drives... As I said to you before, the petrol's are getting there, but not quite there yet! :rofl:

'Tis a bit frustrating that Skoda do seem to be getting the newer technology considerably later though, however next time i swap hopefully the new Skoda mid range car will be out...