Squeak found and easy cured

Probably a known problem but I couldn’t find any reference to it so sharing with the collective.

Wife’s VRS (2010 hatch) has an intermittent rattle/squeak coming from the rear from new, seemed to be around the hatch itself but could never track it down. Dealer tried and failed to find it once telling me that they would need to strip down the rear tail gate to investigate further so we would be without the car for a day or so. Was too much bother so just turned the radio up and left it..

My VRS (2011 estate) started a similar rattle/squeak from the rear after couple of weeks old. By chance found that when I had a heavy box in the boot the rattle stopped. Tracked the cause to the jack sat in a polystyrene holder in the spare where. When wrapped in an old tea shirt the rattle stopped.

Just on the off chance did the same fix to wife’s car and low and behold that one is now rattle free as well. Fix has been in place on both cars for a month now and seems to have done the trick.

Its an easy thing to eliminate from your rattle & squeak hunt so may be worth a go if you have the optional spare wheel.

I had one and tracked it for weeks, eventually turned out to be one of the rear seat backs not being properly closed and locked. Lubed it and slammed it in place: no squeek. They can be very frustrating that's for sure.

I still have one from new :( speaker in rear passenger door makes a rattle when certain tracks with bass are on and not at loud music (as you wouldnt hear it then) dealer got bored looking for it so turned my bass settings into the - region and claimed to have fixed it ..... in fact on changing back to where it was it was now worse :(

I had one and tracked it for weeks, eventually turned out to be one of the rear seat backs not being properly closed and locked. Lubed it and slammed it in place: no squeek. They can be very frustrating that's for sure.

I've had exactly the same squeak on my car. I spotted the red tab was up on the rear seat, locked it in place and now have no squeak.