Glove box light permanantly on... Grrr!

BigJakk

Hello guys,

Since getting my VRS ive had an ongoing niggle with the glove box light being permanantly on whenever the sidelights or mainbeams are turned on. Im wondering of this is meant to be the case?

In all my previous cars the light has only come on when the box is opened. Also all of the other interior lights (boot/reading lights etc) only activate when the doors are opened, so i cant help thinking something is amiss with the glove box light.

Incidentally the only way i know the light is remaining on is that the glovebox door isnt entriely flush with the rest of the dash trim and there is a small gap through which i can see the light shining, which is starting to really bug me at night.

Anyone got any pointers or ideas on how to fix this, ive just driven over two hours in the dark and the light was driving me batty!

Cheers

Incidentally the only way i know the light is remaining on is that the glovebox door isnt entriely flush with the rest of the dash trim and there is a small gap through which i can see the light shining, which is starting to really bug me at night.

This reminds me of an exact problem in my old mk2 golf gti :giggle:

I'm pretty sure there's some complex switch mechanism that switches it on. Due to your glovebox not aligning properly, it would suggest it's been taken out in the past and not put back in properly.

You can either...

1) take the bulb out

2) realign the glovebox

3) drive at night with no lights on

I think (2) is the best option. :yes:

Edited by VladSoilerOfCarpets

I would check the switch on the right hand side of the glovebox, it sounds like it isn't working properly (or maybe someone has broken it / bypassed it).

You are correct in that power is supplied to the glovebox light from sidelights and above.

It is only 5 torx screws to get the box out, so best start your investigations....

Since getting my VRS ive had an ongoing niggle with the glove box light being permanantly on whenever the sidelights or mainbeams are turned on. Im wondering of this is meant to be the case?

That is correct. mine is the same.

If you want to fix it, then 5 screws will remove the glove box then unplug it, not really needed at the end of the day.

Common niggle, and very easy to fix.

The simple switch for the light isn't particularly strong.

Pop the glovebox out and repair the switch lever. I fixed mine with a single zip tie, and it's been fine for years.

Nothing to do with glovebox alignment, as the switch is mounted to the glovebox. Plus the switch is very basic, so anyone can fix it.

I ran without a light in there for a while, and it became annoying in the winter.

Hello guys,

In all my previous cars the light has only come on when the box is opened. Also all of the other interior lights (boot/reading lights etc) only activate when the doors are opened, so i cant help thinking something is amiss with the glove box light.

Anyone got any pointers or ideas on how to fix this, ive just driven over two hours in the dark and the light was driving me batty!

Cheers

I had a similar issue with mine.

I took out the glovebox and the switch is a fairly crude affair. It's a long time ago, so I don't remember much detail, but i know i wrapped some tape arround the piece which pressed on the switch (to make it open the contacts further) and hence switch off the light.

On mine, i could see (before i fixed) that the light was on, but if i pressed on the glovebox, the light went off.

HTH

Well...

I've had the glove box out and had a look this morning, it would appear that there is a bit of a "deadzone" when the switch returns to the centre whereby the switch moves quite a lot but both ends of the spring remain on the copper contacts, thus the light stays "on". It looks like there isnt enough tension in the sprint to take the switch past this point and into either of "off" positions.

For the time being ive taken the blub and assembly out of the car to have a look. How have others fixed this? Im thinking of possibly putting a large blob of epoxy resin or something similar onto the switch plate to make it larger, therefore causing the glove box latch to push the switch plate further backwards and hopefully into the off position

Cheers

I had a similar issue with mine.

I took out the glovebox and the switch is a fairly crude affair. It's a long time ago, so I don't remember much detail, but i know i wrapped some tape arround the piece which pressed on the switch (to make it open the contacts further) and hence switch off the light.

On mine, i could see (before i fixed) that the light was on, but if i pressed on the glovebox, the light went off.

HTH

I fixed mine the same way with tape, seems to have done the job.

By fixing it with tape, i take it you mean to wrap the end of the push rod type thing which is linked to the hinge on the glovebox door in electrical tape to make it thicker and more substantial so more force can be exerted on the switch?

Cheers

By fixing it with tape, i take it you mean to wrap the end of the push rod type thing which is linked to the hinge on the glovebox door in electrical tape to make it thicker and more substantial so more force can be exerted on the switch?

Cheers

Yes, make it slightly longer so it pushes the switch fully.

Well, as per the advice above i packed out the glovebox door push rod by wrapping some electrical tape around it, i did about five or six layers for good measure.

Put the bulb assembly back in and the switch now opens properly. Refitted the glovebox and had a quick test, seems to have done the trick!

Cheers guys