vRS 1st/Reverse Gear Selection Problems

Asmith

Hi

My Fabia vRS has a problem when I try to select either 1st or reverse. It's an intermittent problem, about 80% of the time the gear changes are smooth and I've never had a problem with any other gear.

The problem usually happens when I stop - try to select reverse but can't. I usually have to de-clutch a couple of times (not sure it helps) before I finally manage to force it into reverse. The problem then repeats if I try and select first afterwards.

I've tried reseting the gear linkage adjustment a couple of times and I've replaced the dogbone mount. The linkage adjustment temporarily made it better and the dogbone mount made all gear changes appear tighter but that's all.

I'm now thinking it might be clutch drag or something else. I've been reading similar posts, but think I've confused myself even more ha ha. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

hi there,i've got exactly the same problem,and had gear linkages/cable adjusted,slight improvement..have asked various mechanics and they said clutch needed replacing,so that's my next option,which will be after xmas now, please let me know how you guys get on.

many thanks.

Hi

My Fabia vRS has a problem when I try to select either 1st or reverse. It's an intermittent problem, about 80% of the time the gear changes are smooth and I've never had a problem with any other gear.

The problem usually happens when I stop - try to select reverse but can't. I usually have to de-clutch a couple of times (not sure it helps) before I finally manage to force it into reverse. The problem then repeats if I try and select first afterwards.

I've tried reseting the gear linkage adjustment a couple of times and I've replaced the dogbone mount. The linkage adjustment temporarily made it better and the dogbone mount made all gear changes appear tighter but that's all.

I'm now thinking it might be clutch drag or something else. I've been reading similar posts, but think I've confused myself even more ha ha. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I get almost exactly this on my 1.4 16v, with probably a similar frequency. Normally engaging another gear, releasing the clutch again and reselecting works.

I really don't want to be replacing the clutch right now...how much is that going to be???

my cars done 124k,mostly motorway mileage,problem started about 3 months ago,just prior to doing the nurburgring..the poor selection problem almost drove me mad..aargh! a mechanic told me to try turning the engine off when having problems,and if it went into gear at that point,whereas previously it wouldn't,then it would be the clutch,i'm no mechanic..so trust his judgement..although i did think gear selector fork ?? anybody who's an expert,i would appreiciate your opinion.cheers.

• 3 months later...

hi guys,think i've got to the bottom of the gear selection problem i've been having for some time now.had the clutch,flywheel,pressure plate and release bearing replaced and the gears are pretty easy to select now,and power delivery is smoother.asked my mate who did the work,about the condition of the old clutch at 125k and he said it looked ok,and that he thinks it was more likely to be the dmf that was at fault..either way i'm glad it's got rid of the problem,having had the cables adjusted,and gearbox oil replaced in the past..fingers crossed no more problems. :happy:

• 1 year later...

I'm also having similar problems, getting more frequent. Usually after driving and coming to lights or needing to turn around the car will only select 3rd and 4th gear. I'm a mechanic and straight off the bat I wud say its the duel mass flywheel as this car has had a new box, clutch and hydraulics, the only thing it didn't have was the dual mass as the customer didn't want to spend anymore. So I bought the car off him fabia vrs tdi 2005. Im seeing a lot of dual mass flywheels failing. between 20 -100k miles and 9 times out of 10 the clutch is fine. If you switch the engine off u will usually be able to get it in gear, and don't leave juddering pedals first sign of a failing dmf, as left for a long time they will kill the gearbox. Hope this helps or feel free to add your opinion

I'm also having similar problems, getting more frequent. Usually after driving and coming to lights or needing to turn around the car will only select 3rd and 4th gear. I'm a mechanic and straight off the bat I wud say its the duel mass flywheel as this car has had a new box, clutch and hydraulics, the only thing it didn't have was the dual mass as the customer didn't want to spend anymore. So I bought the car off him fabia vrs tdi 2005. Im seeing a lot of dual mass flywheels failing. between 20 -100k miles and 9 times out of 10 the clutch is fine. If you switch the engine off u will usually be able to get it in gear, and don't leave juddering pedals first sign of a failing dmf, as left for a long time they will kill the gearbox. Hope this helps or feel free to add your opinion

• 1 year later...

got it sorted and forgot to reply back... only a year late :-) turned out that one of the clips holding the pivot bar for the cable ends on top of the box had gone MIA, took me ages to find it but spring clip later and its not happened again

• Like 2