Comments on Superb12 months old and 40K

kensym

My 170 DSG Elegance Combi became 1 year old last week and has clocked up 40,000 trouble free miles so though would post my thoughts and comments

Good Points

Running Costs - servicing has cost under £600.00 for the 2 services (previous Jag and SAAB would have cost that for 1 service)

Fuel ecomomy - been averaging 45 - 48 MPG

Comfort - excellent apart from slight niggle with driving position (see below) no problem on long runs 450 miles non stop has been easy

Interior Space - enough said

Durability of interior - I have the Ivory interior and apart from the carpet getting dirty on the transmision tunnel by the drivers foot rest everything else has been excellent, it does need cleaning regularly but I expected that.

Carrying capacity - I carry exhibition stuff regularly and the car has loads of room for that but do find its a bit narrow in the boot

Build quality - Again excellent no rattles or squeeks as yet and exterior is still good

Head lights are very good

Performance and handling - I think is very good in the real world with out being extreme and the car handles well for a car of this size with a smooth ride over most sufaces, the DSG box is brilliant

Columbus unit - I find it is fine had no problem with the sat nav or any other of its functions, had the blue tooth working on 3 phones hassle free, originally a Nokia 6700 using Rsap , then a HT Desire HD (no Rsap) and currently a Galaxy S2 with Rsap

Dealer Service has been excellent from Wayside in Milton Keynes

Bad Points

Fuel capacity - tank is far too small

Original fit tyres are way too soft, only got 15k out of the fronts. Changed to Bridgestones and the're still good after 25K on fronts

Driving position took ages to get right, the position is a bit "Italian" like on old Fiats and Alfas I've had (long arms and short leg position)

Boot is a bit narrow

Heated mirrors have to switched on why cant they be tied in with th rear screen heater like other cars?

All in all still happy with the Superb, it now has a stable mate in the company car park as my Business partner has got his (virtually the same spec but in Rosso Bunello red) last month

I agree with you almost exactly, in my Mk1 2.5TDi Superb I could easily travel 700 miles on a full tank. I cannot get anywhere remotely near that on the Mk2. I still struggle with the driving position. The general quality of trim (especially the leather seats) is several notches worse than on my old Mk1.

Driving position took ages to get right, the position is a bit "Italian" like on old Fiats and Alfas I've had (long arms and short leg position)

At least I found correct seats describing in the on all forum : ) Thanks

Comments from my GreenLine

As Im tall and heavy 18 stones and the seat do not have legs adjustment.

Now if I go to far from sterling the leg all ok but the hands after 30 min driving feels bending not correct as the pressure feels

If I correct for the hands correct position the legs feels bended without any seat support.

So after SAY YEAR OF DRIVING - OF ALL CORRECTION I FOUND JUST ONE POSITION WICH HALF FOR LEGS HALF FOR HANDS GOOOD

Sometimes the van seat position feels much more relaxed as the superb

Can see any other problems

The car really good made - cannt see any difference to VW

Heated mirrors have to switched on why cant they be tied in with th rear screen heater like other cars?

Mine DO come on with the rear screen heater! (June11 1.8TSIDSG Combi Elegance).

Which bridgestones did you put on? I'm just coming up to 15000 and looking to replace all 4.

I had Bridgestone Protenza's fitted, not the cheapest but they are wearing well

I had Bridgestone Protenza's fitted, not the cheapest but they are wearing well

Hi,

Good to hear! I had Bridgestone Protenza's on my Vectra Est. 150bhp CDTI (so I guess similar weight & potential wear). I got 30-35kmiles out of the fronts so I know what I'll be re-shoe-ing our Suberb Est with.

Thanks for your post/comments.

Stef

Regarding the fuel tank capacity, on both Mk1 Octavia and Mk1 Superb DIESEL it was possible to remove the vent valve and get extra fuel in, albeit slowly, to ~69l total on Mk1 superb, and ~64l total on Mk1 Octavia. Is it possible to do it with Mk2 Superb?

Given Mk2 Superb is transverse engine, more Golf-like than Audi-like chassis, the gain could be similar to 9l rather than 5l. Has anyone looked into this?

Note do not try this with the petrol engined cars, because they need the expansion space in the tank, and the vent valve is also part of vapour management system.

I use the extra capacity often, on nightime autobahn trips in Mk1 Superb 2.5TDI V6 going 140mph you get 2hr 15min driving time until the tank shows reserve.

My wife's Octavia 1.9TDI only needs filling up once a month, it would have been every 3 weeks without the extra capacity in the tank.

Do a search for "ventectomy". But after a brief look I think the design of the vent valve might have changed after mk4/b5.5, so not sure it is still possible. Still, worth looking into as if it is possible you are guaranteed at least 5l extra fuel tank capacity on a diesel (once again, you may not do ventectomy to a petrol engined car).

Interesting thoughts at one year ^^^

Mine is just over a year now and have done 12000 miles

I love the car (170 DSG estate) but I have some issues....

My Conti tyres were bald at 6000 miles! Tyres are on contract so Good Year efficient grip on now and seem to be lasting far better

My rear wiper doesn't clear the window properly in the middle of the blade. Never actually took the time to look at it though.

I now have a vibration, noise I mean, a deep, deep vibration which is starting to really hack me off - I do have roof cross bars and will need to remove them to be sure it's not them, I doubt that it is though.

Stalls quite often when you put it into D.

EML came on one day - never returned though.

My bonnet Skoda badge has delaminated - absolutely rubbish for the age.

The dark blue was a mistake - always looks filthy.

All that though and it's got to be the best car I've ever had for an everyday vehicle. Headlights, space inside, looks, comfort, all the equipment - overall experience is good :)

At least I found correct seats describing in the on all forum : ) Thanks

Comments from my GreenLine

As Im tall and heavy 18 stones and the seat do not have legs adjustment.

Now if I go to far from sterling the leg all ok but the hands after 30 min driving feels bending not correct as the pressure feels

If I correct for the hands correct position the legs feels bended without any seat support.

So after SAY YEAR OF DRIVING - OF ALL CORRECTION I FOUND JUST ONE POSITION WICH HALF FOR LEGS HALF FOR HANDS GOOOD

Sometimes the van seat position feels much more relaxed as the superb

Can see any other problems

The car really good made - cannt see any difference to VW

The steering wheel also pulls in/out as well as up and down when you release its adjustment lever, so it should be possible to get the legs and arms correct.

The steering wheel also pulls in/out as well as up and down when you release its adjustment lever, so it should be possible to get the legs and arms correct.

It could do with another 1" of outward travel to make it perfect (for me)

It could do with another 1" of outward travel to make it perfect (for me)

I agree. I'm 6'1" tall and if I have the seat squab too far back I end up overstretching my arms.