octavia alarm system

lala

hello there, sorry if i do this section wrong but i'm a new member, my problem is the alarm, since the day i bought my 2001 octavia the alarm hasn't worked, i did check my skoda manual and it claims that the alarm will shut down after about 5 years, i have since fitted my own alarm for now but would prefer the cars own system to be working, can anyone tell me if this is correct about automatically shutting down, it seems an expensive item when skoda want over £50 just to find out what's wrong, and claim it's normally siren has to be replaced,has anyone any idea's of the fault or had the same problem, any help would be gratefully received, many thank's

Only that I bought a 2002 Octy 4x4 last week, and its alarm doesn't seem to work either. Looking/reading around it is a fairly standard problem. For my whinge, tonight me electronics/emissions light came on. Bum! I'm going to take it back to the dealer and stamp my feet, it's on a 3 month warranty and the car did go through some serious water tonight. Fingers crossed it's easy, it's a nice car apart from that! GOOD LUCK with your alarm. :yes:

Welcome to briskoda :thumbup:

Are you sure that your car has an alarm? I thought factory fit was just the immobiliser, and no alarm. What spec is your car?

I have never seen it in the printed Skoda Octavia manual that the alarm will stop working after 5 years, which page is that on? There is nothing like Sunday evening education!

£50 sounds a bit like about 30 minutes of dealer mechanic time to investigate the fault... which could be easy money for them if your car does not actually have an alarm fitted!

Welcome to briskoda :thumbup:

Are you sure that your car has an alarm? I thought factory fit was just the immobiliser, and no alarm. What spec is your car?

I have never seen it in the printed Skoda Octavia manual that the alarm will stop working after 5 years, which page is that on? There is nothing like Sunday evening education!

£50 sounds a bit like about 30 minutes of dealer mechanic time to investigate the fault... which could be easy money for them if your car does not actually have an alarm fitted!

hello there, maybe i can be of some help in this matter, with reference to "skoda octavia owners manual", go to page 13 and will find "anti-theft alarm system", it monitors doors,taigate,ignition,interior of car, and even voltage drop, and activated by all the above, plus movement in car,also on page 14 it clearly states under general notes "LIFE OF THE SIREN IS 5 YEARS", it surprises me that you haven't read the manual, and where i live, the octavia is virtually every third car seeing as all our taxi's are the octavia, and with all the cab drivers i know, i've yet to find an octavia without an alarm, i would even go as far as saying i couldn't imagine a manufacturer fitting just an immoboliser

Arh, mine talks about the alarm on page 10. The owner's manual does not actually say the life of the siren is 5 years, it says "the life of the siren source is 5 years.".

That suggests the alarm/siren is powered from a separate battery, so it is not unlikely it would need to be replaced from time to time.

You can determine if your car actually has an alarm fitted by pressing the lock button twice when locking the car. If the LED in the drivers door stops flashing then the alarm is not fitted (the double locking disables "safe lock" [aka deadlocking] which means the car can then be opened by using the internal door pulls).

If you read your manual more closely, you will again note that the alarm is marked with a *, indicating the alarm is an optional extra.

How do you know that all Octavias are fitted with alarms? Have you tried to steal some in your time? It might be that your local taxi drivers just think they have an alarm fitted. Lets face it an SDI Octavia is hardly top of the joy riders list, unless they want to get a long away for a minimal amount of fuel. :D

What spec/age is your Octavia? I suspect if you check the options code you can also determine if a factory fit alarm is actually fitted to your car.

Could you get it as a aftermarket option, i wouldn't mind one but really want to keep my original fobs to activate and deactivate it

Yep, mine has an sigma alarm fitted, I have the instructions etc that states it was fitted at the main dealer when the car was new rather then the factory and works with the standard key fobs, the instructions state that it's an alarm that upgrades the standard cat 2 immobiliser to a cat 1 alarm system :thumbup:

Edited by Nickbes

Yep, mine has an sigma alarm fitted, I have the instructions etc that states it was fitted at the main dealer when the car was new rather then the factory and works with the standard key fobs, the instructions state that it's an alarm that upgrades the standard cat 2 immobiliser to a cat 1 alarm system :thumbup:

+1 ,but I think it was a scorpion alarm the dealers fitted as the upgrade on mine,with a total closure function.

• 2 years later...