My DIY remap project

I do have a little thread in the performance section but thought I'd start one in here as it's all done on my vRS.

Started looking into this back in June/July. Not because I'm too tight to pay for a remap (had one in the past) but because I thought it'll be interesting to get a better understanding on how things work in that little expensive box emoticon-0100-smile.gif

First challenge was to read the ecu. Now this hardware costs thousands and is backed up with support. With this only being a hobby that wasn't an option. So super cheap china clones was the only option. Downsides being build quality (could fail in between a write turning your ECU into an expensive brick and no support.

So armed with my new piece of hardware/software I hooked it up and downloaded a copy of my EEPROM. So now I have a file full of hexidecimal. So how do you read it? Search. Theirs plenty of Hex editors out there.

Now if your expecting the software to detect the maps your wrong. You have to spend ALOT of time scrolling through the file looking for potential maps. You also have to learn how to find the axis for them and also any factors that need to be applied.

Edit Below are links to a overview of the EDC15 ecu. Please remember this is only the basics. Theirs still plenty more but I feel this is enough for members who are interested.

Fueling requests

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221097-my-diy-remap-project/?p=2631455

Fueling durations, start of injection and boost maps

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221097-my-diy-remap-project/?p=2631480

I feel now that I've found all the key maps for a general no hardware changed remap. Things like:

Drivers wish

EGR

Torque limiter

Smoke limiter via MAF

Smoke limiter via MAP (you can switch from MAF to MAP)

Duration maps

Duration selectors

Start of injection maps

Start of injection selectors

Boost pressure

Boost pressure limiter

Single value boost limiter

Plus many others

So to avoid bricking my own ecu I purchased a couple of cheap spares ones costing a total of £40. The first one has a fuel pump relay error that causes the car to cut out. The second so far is working fine :) the faulty one i will use for bricking :)

Now to makes these a clone you need to read your immo EEPROM and flash it across to the new ecu. This can be done by desoldering and reading with a programmer or again using a cheap clone. So now they are all simple plug and plays. No need for VCDS and secret key codes :)

Now as I'm using cheap hardware I wanted to rule out and bad flashes due to low voltage. So I hacked an old PC psu to pieces. Result now is i can powered the ecu's outside the car :)

• Like 1

My first plan is to make a file which runs close to a AFR of 17.5:1. I've seen this mentioned a few times as the most you can go before causing smoke. I'm also not planning on increasing peak torque so at the lower end of the RPM the AFR will be higher.

I'm not planning on altering boost yet. My old remap never and that made 160bhp.

Over the weekend I did up the torque limiter to hold 57mg of fuel a lot higher up the rev range. Flashed it to the ecu and went out for a drive with VCDS logging away.

After looking at the log theirs still room for more fuel in certain areas. I will also need to up the smoke limiter via MAF table and possibly extend the duration map to meet the higher fuel demand (can't remember what the max IQ was) The PD160 does have its duration maps extended.

Hi John. I'm already a member. Great forum. They do help but not by holding your hand. Which I like as it means you still have to use your brain. :)

You need any help?

I'm trying to find out how the ecu deals with rising IAT. No joy so far :( I'm assuming it will reduce the start of injection to try and reduce cylinder pressure and EGT. Not sure what else it could do.

It's desktop software called winols. Tunerpro is also popular.

I don't have the Internet at home (moved house) so I'm using tapatalk on my phone. Really handy for uploading images. Not sure how their showing, will find out tomorrow at work :)

It's desktop software called winols. Tunerpro is also popular.

I don't have the Internet at home (moved house) so I'm using tapatalk on my phone. Really handy for uploading images. Not sure how their showing, will find out tomorrow at work :)

Bit of topic aha but whenever I need to upload a photo on my phone I have to plug it in the computer copy it and then upload it to photo bucket and then link it on here (I have an iPhone) how do you do it? :)