My DIY remap project

Well just finished tune 2. Tweaked torque limiter and smoke limiter raise so it's just above new torque limiter.

As im now requesting over 60mg I've had to tweaked some of the duration maps to extend to 65mg.

Not got a chance to flash the ecu tonight :(

Uploading tune 2 tonight and took it out for a drive and to do some logs. Shocking how long it takes to warm a diesel up. :(

Result. Little too much for the clutch lol. Hit 2.5k rpm and it slips up to 3k and drops to about 2.7k before engaging. Not surprising as I'm injecting 61mg at 2.5k which is similar to my old remap (have some old VCDS logs to compare).

Logs also show I'm switching from the torque limiter to smoke limiter at the higher end of the rev range. So need to look into this also.

Well discovered if you only log 1 block at a time in VCDS you get a much better sample rate. Helps a lot.

Well looks like the clutch is getting old now. Tune 03 aimed at 3.5k being peak torque. However still too much for the clutch so straight to tune 4. This keeps the 56mg thats injected at 1.9k rpm from the stock file right up till 3.8k. Also Upped the torque limiter from 4k to 4.5k to extend the power band.

Think that's the most I can do until the clutch goes, hopefully still got some life left in it.

Still want to play with increasing turbo pressure so I can play with the N75 map to control boost. Won't be increasing any fuel as the clutch can't cope but I will be measuring any MAF increase.

Also want to learn how to switch from MAF to MAP and also disabling the codes that go with it.

Well discovered if you only log 1 block at a time in VCDS you get a much better sample rate. Helps a lot.

Well looks like the clutch is getting old now. Tune 03 aimed at 3.5k being peak torque. However still too much for the clutch so straight to tune 4. This keeps the 56mg thats injected at 1.9k rpm from the stock file right up till 3.8k. Also Upped the torque limiter from 4k to 4.5k to extend the power band.

Think that's the most I can do until the clutch goes, hopefully still got some life left in it.

Still want to play with increasing turbo pressure so I can play with the N75 map to control boost. Won't be increasing any fuel as the clutch can't cope but I will be measuring any MAF increase.

Also want to learn how to switch from MAF to MAP and also disabling the codes that go with it.

Do you have a boost gauge? Or are you logging boost? Reason I ask is that on this setup you only have two variables (excusing EGR for a moment) to control the turbo. The vane position and the fuel injected. If you increase the fuel injected, you generate more, hotter exhaust that drives the turbo faster, generating more boost anyway.

J.

Bit of topic aha but whenever I need to upload a photo on my phone I have to plug it in the computer copy it and then upload it to photo bucket and then link it on here (I have an iPhone) how do you do it? :)

photo bucket iPhone app.

Great thread OP

iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a boost gauge? Or are you logging boost? Reason I ask is that on this setup you only have two variables (excusing EGR for a moment) to control the turbo. The vane position and the fuel injected. If you increase the fuel injected, you generate more, hotter exhaust that drives the turbo faster, generating more boost anyway.

J.

I've logged turbo pressure a couple of times as I was curious about the extra fuel increasing pressure. Now I can log at a faster rate I need to take some more logs from my tune and also standard ecu to compare.

Just looked at the logs I took my number 4 tune. From 4.1k rpm I've got room to increase fueling.

Any rolling road days coming up? Be keen to see the graph.

Dunno if you've had a look over on tdiclub?! IMO the more you log the better. Exhaust manifold pressure comes up a lot in threads. Turbo speed would be useful but could be difficult to setup so it's mechanically sound. Also IMO, if you've still got the factory cat then you're somewhat "safe" from overspeeding the turbo unless you try really hard.

J.

Would love to be able to datalog EMP, EGT and intake pressure (air box) but not available through ECU. Would need to fit additional sensors and rig them up to a third party data logger.

EMP and EGT would be really helpful for keeping the turbo within safe limits. Would like to know how tuners decided what safe pressure is?

Would like to see how altering the exhaust system effects EMP & EGT.

Well flashed a new file. This file was to test the map which can be used for launch control and also some alteration to a file I'm trying to identify.

School boy error. Forgot to update the checksum. Result I now have a brick :( This is why you don't use the original :)

Was planning on bricking my other spare ecu but not at this stage lol.

Best get reading about boot mode :)

Drivers Wish

Drivers-Wish-300x183.jpg

Drivers-Wish-2-300x156.jpg

This map determines how much injection quantity (IQ) in mg per stroke is needed for a given RPM based on throttle position in percentage.
Example, 70mg of fuel is injected at wide open throttle (WOT) between 0-2499rpm.

Torque Limiter

Torque-Limiter-300x183.jpg
Torque-Limiter-2.jpg

This map limits injection quantity (IQ) in mg per stoke against RPM and atmosphere pressure in psi.
Example, 51mg of fuel is the maximum that can be injected at 3000rpm.

Smoke Limiter

There are two smoke limiters in the Bosch EDC15P+ ecu. One is based on airflow through the MAF sensor. The second is based on boost pressure through the MAP sensor. Only one of these maps is ever used at one time. There are switches elsewhere in the file that tells the ecu which smoke map to use.

Based on MAF

Smoke-MAF-300x182.jpg
Smoke-MAF-2-300x153.jpg

This map limited injection quantity in mg per stoke against RPM and airflow through the MAF sensor.
Example, a maximum of 53.9mg is injected when airflow is 925 at 2001rpm.

So three maps

The three maps above all relate to how much fuel is to be injected at a given RPM. All three have different values, so which one takes effect? The lowest value.

Example. If the drivers wish says inject 70mg at wide open throttle at 2500rpm, it then goes to the torque limiter. The torque limiter then checks the 2500rpm value but finds that the limiter is set to 60mg. It now goes to the smoke map. The smoke map then checks if there's enough air to meet the 60mg demand. If the smoke map value is higher, then the 60mg value is then use. If the smoke map says only 55mg can be injected due to the amount of air through the MAF sensor, then the 55mg value is used.

Duration maps

Duration-300x210.jpg

The duration maps are calibration maps that tell the ecu how long the injectors have to stay open to meet a given injection quantity. The duration is measured in degrees of crank rotation.
Example. To inject 25mg of fuel at 3800rpm, the injector needs to stay open for 10.73 degrees of engine rotation.
In the Bosch EDCP+ in a ASZ Fabia vRS, there are six duration maps. The ecu selects each one of these maps based on the Duration Selection map.

Duration Selector

For the Bosch EDC15P+ to determin which duration map to use, it has a selection map. This map selects which duration map to used based on the start of injection.
Example. If the start of injection is 2 degrees before top dead center (TDC), It will use duration map 5. If the start of injection is 23 degrees before top dead center (TDC), it will use duration map 1.

Start of Injection

Start-of-Injection-300x185.jpg

The start of injection map(s) tell the Bosch EDC15P+ ecu when to start injecting fuel. This is measured in degrees before top dead center (TDC) Example. If 60mg has been requested at 4250rpm, then the injector will begin injecting fuel at 23.51 degrees before top dead center.
In the Bosch EDCP+ file in a ASZ Fabia vRS, there are 10 start of injection maps. The ecu selects each one of these maps based on the Start of Injection Selection map.

Start of injection Selector

For the Bosch EDC15P+ to determin which start of injection map to use, it has a selection map. This map selects which start of injection map to used based on the coolant temperture.
Example. If the coolant temp is 70c, It will use start of injection map 7. If the coolant temp is -10c, it will use start of injection map 1.

Turbo Pressure

Turbo-Pressure-300x183.jpg

Turbo-Pressure-2-300x190.jpg

This is the requested boost pressure map. This is calculated by taking the requested injection quantity against engine speed.

Example. When 50mg is requested at 2499rpm. 1.35 bar of boost is requested. The values in the map include atmosphere pressure.

N75

N75-2-300x104.jpg

This map controls the N75 valve. The N75 is used to control the actuator on the turbo which in turn controls the VNT part of the turbo.

At low RPM the VNT vanes are in a closed position to help speed up the turbo. As engine speed increases, the VNT vanes open up to prevent over boost.

• 1 month later...

Little update. Upped my torque limiter IQ to the high 60mg's and edited the drivers wish, smoke and duration maps to match. Made a massive difference to how it drives :)

Just need to get the boost under control now thanks to the big change in IQ. So tweaking the N75 map. Got a feeling I might struggle to control it and have to resort to lowering the IQ.