brake binding

ifekas

My 07 Roomster TDi has developed an issue with what I think is the brakes binding. When the car has not been used for a while, say overnight, a groaning noise can be heard for a second or so when pulling away, sometimes immediately, and sometimes when I accelerate from a standstill within a couple of minutes of driving off in the morning.

I thought the obvious thing would be the handbrake, but I tried not applying the handbrake one night and just left the car in gear to see whether it was that, but the noise still occurred so I'm not sure.

So far, the economy doesn't seem to have suffered because of this, but it is difficult to say as the colder weather causes economy to suffer anyway.

It isn't due for a service for another eight months; is it best to get it looked at, or is there an easy way of determining whether it needs more urgent attention?

My 07 Roomster TDi has developed an issue with what I think is the brakes binding. When the car has not been used for a while, say overnight, a groaning noise can be heard for a second or so when pulling away, sometimes immediately, and sometimes when I accelerate from a standstill within a couple of minutes of driving off in the morning.

I thought the obvious thing would be the handbrake, but I tried not applying the handbrake one night and just left the car in gear to see whether it was that, but the noise still occurred so I'm not sure.

So far, the economy doesn't seem to have suffered because of this, but it is difficult to say as the colder weather causes economy to suffer anyway.

It isn't due for a service for another eight months; is it best to get it looked at, or is there an easy way of determining whether it needs more urgent attention?

It may be suspension: I get a loud-ish groan when crossing the first speed hump. After that it's OK.

John