Repair carried out on secondary air pump

As described in the title....

I have carried out a repair (The one linked on here recently to MKIV Golf forum) Everything went well (kind of)

Only problem is that I now have a noise that I can only describe like a jet engine - I've seen other people describe theirs sounds like this too.

My question is why? Is it because the new bolts aren't tightened up enough? What happens if I unplug it, will it throw up a CEL?

Cheers in advance

James

It's looking like removing it is the best choice! What do I need to do this? Can I do it myself?

I didn't use this guide, but it is a close match and also covers the N112 and N249 removal, which also makes your engine bay a lot tidier and easier to work on in the future. There are quite a few guides if you do a search on this forum and google.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4893472-DIY-Ultimate-SAI-N249-PCV-EVAP-Delete

I didn't use this guide, but it is a close match and also covers the N112 and N249 removal, which also makes your engine bay a lot tidier and easier to work on in the future. There are quite a few guides if you do a search on this forum and google.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4893472-DIY-Ultimate-SAI-N249-PCV-EVAP-Delete

Crikey, thats is a good post!

My big issue is where do you get the bloody resistors from haha.

Another thought, if you ever sold the car, how do you sell it saying you've removed half the engines ancillaries ?

resistors i bought from ebay, but i guess there are other electrical places that would sell them.

re selling the car - 1stly, many buyers wouldn't know what you have removed and even if they did or you told them, there is little reason to deter a buyer on the basis of having removed a pretty meaningless bit of kit that was designed mainly for the benefit of other international markets.

However, obviously it's your car and you need to decide what you are and are not prepared to do. I orginally bought a brand new Audi SAI (heavily discounted) that was supposed to fit the VRS, but still ended up being a waste of time as the power connector wouldn't fit correctly and also damaged the daft plastic hose clips in the process. I did mine nearly a year ago now and haven't regretted it.

I saw this and thought of your thread: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/octavia-golf-leon-tt-a3-turbo-secondary-air-pump-1-8t-20v-/260914564675?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbfb84e43

Be good to pick a cheap replacement, whatever you decide to do with the secondary pump system. £8 delivery is having a laugh but I can't think you'll have much bidding competition :thumbup:

Resistors - find a local branch of Maplin and get them there :thumbup:

I tried them but couldn't find the special metal ones everyone was using. Only normal circuit board ones.

• 1 year later...

Did this fix last week but it is still noisy on start up.

I am thinking of re-doing it and using gasket maker between the joints prior to assembly.

Any opinions on this?