how would i get the lights behind the speedo to get that nice bluey white colour and also how hard was it to do the button illuminations for the lock/unlock, the window switches and the central unit lights

how would i get the lights behind the speedo to get that nice bluey white colour and also how hard was it to do the button illuminations for the lock/unlock, the window switches and the central unit lights

If you look at my previous post you will find more info

One of the links My link

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Recently soldered up the maplin light switch kit. Only ever soldered wires together before, not a pcb, but found it strangely satisfying. That said I mucked it up when I came to soldering the improvised wires to bring the light sensor away from the PCB, I think I got the board too hot and damaged one of the contacts. I ended up putting a blob of solder between the bits meant to be joined up and putting hot glue gun glue over to protect - not ideal but should be Ok? Put glue other side too to provide some strain relief to the wires. No idea if it works yet though, have a whole raft of electrical mods I want to do, will hold out for warmer weather.

• 2 months later...

I'll stick my query on here :) - for the people who fitted this kit, do you find on occasion theres a slight delay for the fogs to switch on? and on again occasionally when I lock the car it does a quick flash.. Maybe a bigger capacitor will help..?

Yes. Sometimes it can take ~30 seconds to fire the headlights up. Don't have the flash/locking thing though. It seems that once they've come on once, if you lock/unlock the car again they're near instant to come back on.

I'll stick my query on here :) - for the people who fitted this kit, do you find on occasion theres a slight delay for the fogs to switch on? and on again occasionally when I lock the car it does a quick flash.. Maybe a bigger capacitor will help..?

The delay is normal its just the circuit powering up, and I quite like it. As for the quick flash on lock not seen that. Where do you want to put the capacitor ?

Yes. Sometimes it can take ~30 seconds to fire the headlights up. Don't have the flash/locking thing though. It seems that once they've come on once, if you lock/unlock the car again they're near instant to come back on.

I think you talking about Xenon headlights, they will take a long time to startup (especially without the engine running) and getup to temp but as you say once they have been on they will light up almost instantly.

Karl :thumbup:

Ah, no, they do light up nigh-on instantly normally. You can hear the relay on the circuit board clicking due to the location on mine, and as soon as it clicks the lights are on. The delay is defo in the circuit for whatever reason.

As it also fires the sidelights/number plate lights you can tell when it's meant to be on - and they light at the same time as the headlights. I'm not worried, it's just odd the way it happens.

Mines a pain in the arse to be honest. It delays the lights coming on by upto 5 seconds sometimes and has stuffed the parking lights up by making them all light up!

I must point out that I made the kit though!!

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys iam in essex area and would like this on my car he he .

i have h-i-d lights and would it still work on my car ??

the other thing is there anyone in my area that would fit it for me please as iam not that good with things like this ha ha.

i dont mind coming to you if your in my area ,i can get the kit and come to you .

question for karl

will tjis work on h-i-d kits ??

• 4 weeks later...

The kit as it stands will cope with up to 60 watts connected to it, Side lights take up about 30 watts ( 6 * 5 watt bulbs) reversing lights take up another 42 watts (2 * 21 watt bulbs) thats a total of 72 watts more than the circuit will handle. If you have front LED sidelights and LED numberplate lights and standard rear side lights you will be using about 15 watts plus the 42 for the reversing lights makes a total of 57 watts within the limit of the kit, but I Would Not Recommend IT. I never like running electrical wiring at the maximum it can take !!. I could however add an extra relay to the system to power the reversing lights. You would however have to run an extra cable from the module to either the reversing light switch which is located in the engine bay bolted to the gearbox or run a cable from the front dash to one of the taillight clusters and connect it to the reversing light (you only need to connect to one side for both lights to work).

As for prices

I'm asking £26 for this kit with the price made up as follows :-

Kit £7.00

Del £3.00 From Maplins website (cheaper than me driving there).

Parts £3.00 Wire, sleeving, diodes and scotch-lock connectors.

Build £10.00 My time in soldering it together (1 1/2 hours).

P&P £3.00 Postage and packaging to you.

Total £26.00

If you want an extra relay let me know and I can price one up

Karl

Glad you liked it Whoosh, evidently my instruction can't have been than bad then.

Picture of what I've been installing to day, installed mine in the centre of the dash, now more blue than ever lol, which Parrot kit have you got and where did you attach it ?

Parrot.jpg

Karl

How did you get a fabia on your parrot kit?

The force is strong in Master Korban. tete-yoda-3d.gif

LOL Nice one Garry

In answer to danny6189 you need the image that you want to display in 320 x 240 pixels in jpg format on your phone and then send it to to the parrot via bluetooth its all in the manual somewhere.

IIRC its under Setting>Wallpaper>Customize>Add on the parrot then you send the picture from the phone.

Hope that helps

Karl

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Karl,

Thank you for enlightening (get it :-P) me with this mod. I bought the kit at the weekend and have it all running perfectly. I have also put in blue led footwell lights which run off the same board and look awesome. I'm just letting my inner chav come out lol.

There is just one thing which is mentioned above, sometimes it takes about 5 seconds for my led sidelights to come on when the car is unlocked. Then when the circuit has been used a few times, it is fairly immediate. Do we have an answer why?

Thanks again for showing how this can be done. I thought it would be through vagcom initially, obviously not.

Cheers

Chris.

P.s. Any other little mods I could do?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Where and how do you wire up the extra relays for headlights, foglights etc and do you have a link for the relays?

Regards. Danny.

Hi Danny,

The extra relays can be bought from any motor factors - any standard 12volt 30 to 40 amp relay will do. It would need the coil part of the relay connected to earth and the relay output from the module. Power from the back of the light switch need to go to the contacts part of the relay and then on to whatever you want to power.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know and I'll get a diagram posted up for you.

Karl

Hi Danny,

The extra relays can be bought from any motor factors - any standard 12volt 30 to 40 amp relay will do. It would need the coil part of the relay connected to earth and the relay output from the module. Power from the back of the light switch need to go to the contacts part of the relay and then on to whatever you want to power.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know and I'll get a diagram posted up for you.

Karl

If you could do a diagram I would really appreciate it.

Danny

Relay diagrams and explanations here http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp Basically you have a coil which causes the switching of the circuit capable of handling higher amps. What would normally power your lights is wired to this instead, and all you need is a ground so the coil powers up. Then you have positive to the switched bit, with the bit the power goes to on the other.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...