Split rubbers!

Skoda Dealer said at last service my vRS radius arms, front suspension and rear bump stop rubbers are all split and advised replacing at a tidy sum which am trying to get my head round! Prob get done at a local garage but is it worth replacing suspension components whilst everything is in bits? Car has done 76k miles and I can't here any banging noises which I'd expect to hear if the rubbers were that bad. For some reason the inside tyre walls at the rear are down to 2.5mm but middle tread is 6mm but that sounds like an allignment issue to me.

Edited by Skoda convert

Saw toothing is very common on the rear. Can be due to excessive negative camber, can also be due to over loading, tyre pressures and even type of tyre.

Front lower wishbone bushes come in a mounting so it's a simple bolt on and off. Rear bump stops are also common, requires removal of the damper to replace, only three bolts a side but the lower one is a little tricky as the spring is in the way.

Saw toothing is very common on the rear. Can be due to excessive negative camber, can also be due to over loading, tyre pressures and even type of tyre.

Front lower wishbone bushes come in a mounting so it's a simple bolt on and off. Rear bump stops are also common, requires removal of the damper to replace, only three bolts a side but the lower one is a little tricky as the spring is in the way.

Thanks for the heads-up Tech1e, do you think it's worth getting any of the suspension replaced at the same time, as it's done 76k?

I had new rear shocks, and bushes/bumpstops put in at the rear while I was having some other work done and it's made quite a difference to the car.

Since OEM shockers at the rear are less than £25 each, I'd say change them while they are out.

Many thanks for this Cheeze...this is really useful, at that kinda price I agree it makes sense to have the shockers done at the same time too.

Not sure what affect replacing the tie rod ends has on the car, does anyone know?

Skoda Dealer said at last service my vRS radius arms, front suspension and rear bump stop rubbers are all split and advised replacing at a tidy sum which am trying to get my head round! Prob get done at a local garage but is it worth replacing suspension components whilst everything is in bits? Car has done 76k miles and I can't here any banging noises which I'd expect to hear if the rubbers were that bad. For some reason the inside tyre walls at the rear are down to 2.5mm but middle tread is 6mm but that sounds like an allignment issue to me.

I just been told the exact same thing by the dealer yesterday after a free complimentary check up plus they told me i need 4 tyres ( to be fair they just above the limit) and i need discs and pads front and rear, my VRS done only 74k.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a bump... Skoda convert - don't suppose your car went in for coil packs at Simpson's in Preston, and you then took the car to Autosave in Bamber Bridge? I had almost the same sequence of events...