HMRC isnt all bad :)

sharkrider

Just recieved my £155 refund from the tax man for my 2010-2011 tax return :thumbup: took just six days from my electronic return going in, to my bank account being credited :)

anyone needing help with their tax return or expenses claims, please feel free to PM me ;)

Just recieved my £155 refund from the tax man for my 2010-2011 tax return :thumbup: took just six days from my electronic return going in, to my bank account being credited :)

anyone needing help with their tax return or expenses claims, please feel free to PM me ;) there are advantages to being an ex "assistant officer" with HMRC :giggle:

I find the online system pretty good now.

Even if they have to pay you pay a chunk of VAT you get it much quicker than before. :thumbup:

Thank you for the kind offer shark rider, but I'm PAYE emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

so am I, mostly, but my employer gives me 27p per mile of business mileage, AND taxes it, so I can claim the whole 40ppm as tax releif :) I also do a bit of drivivng instruction on the side, which I have to pay tax on, but the expesnses for mileage from my job, outweighed what I owed them from my business... so even if you are PAYE you may be paying too much tax :yes:

I got a letter on Monday from them saying I'm owed £400, didn't even have to ask them to check - so assuming the cheque turns up I'm very happy :rofl:

so am I, mostly, but my employer gives me 27p per mile of business mileage, AND taxes it, so I can claim the whole 40ppm as tax releif :) I also do a bit of drivivng instruction on the side, which I have to pay tax on, but the expesnses for mileage from my job, outweighed what I owed them from my business... so even if you are PAYE you may be paying too much tax :yes:

Hmmmm, how would I go about checking to see if I've been overpaying??? emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

Nice offer Shark rider, i just got £200 for year 2009/10 and £200 for year 2010/11 back of tax man for my motoring mileage, even tho my firm pay me £4500 per annum and 20 pence per mile, the taxman still gave me just over £400 for 2 years and i am PAYE. :)emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I've been stuck on BR for a good while now, getting a nice little sum built up to treat myself with. :)

indeed, when your personal allowance is finally applied you will get a big repayment..

Hmmmm, how would I go about checking to see if I've been overpaying??? emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

check you are getting all your allowances..i.e work essensials you pay for? union fees? uniforms? any other thing you have bought that you cannot do your job without, that you paid for, and cant be used outside work... work mileage? that means any driving you do for work that is more than your "usual" commute (which cant be claimed for) ect.. worth a bit of research!

Nice offer Shark rider, i just got £200 for year 2009/10 and £200 for year 2010/11 back of tax man for my motoring mileage, even tho my firm pay me £4500 per annum and 20 pence per mile, the taxman still gave me just over £400 for 2 years and i am PAYE. :)emoticon-0148-yes.gif

indeed, you can claim the difference between the 20p your work pays, and the 40p the taxman allows ;) the £4500 is likley to be taxed as a "benefit in kind", so at the end of the day they still owe you 20p tax relief for each work mile you drive...

I've been stuck on BR for a good while now, getting a nice little sum built up to treat myself with. :)

indeed, when your personal allowance is finally applied you will get a big repayment..

What if Mr TF happens to be HIgher Rate taxpayer..... :p

Sharkrider, please don't take this the wrong way. I feel that the information that you are offering foc on a public forum is very noble and generally seems pretty sound. I actually feel that your explanation of the wholly, exclusively and necessarily rule for employment expenses is pretty good, as it is a tricky subject matter to to explain without getting techie and involving case law & HMRC Employment income manuals.

However, you seem to jump in with both feet with your comments/conclusions without establishing all the facts of each scenario, which could be a tad risky. For example, the above BR coding - Mr TF may not be too happy if there was a large tax bill and payments on account waiting for him at the end of the year as a direct result of that BR coding.

I would consider using the words should/could, rather than 'will', merely for your own protection mate :thumbup:

You can also claim laundering costs for company issued uniforms, If you're PAYE your personal allowance will be adjusted.

Granted it's only about £60p.a.

But it's better in your pocket!emoticon-0148-yes.gif

You can also claim laundering costs for company issued uniforms, If you're PAYE your personal allowance will be adjusted.Granted it's only about £60p.a.But it's better in your pocket!emoticon-0148-yes.gif

How do you go about claiming for that, then?

On a uni placement year? I wish!

I never received a p45 from ny part time term job (so I can go back easily next year), and ticked the wrong box on the p46, hence my allowance is on the old job still, which earns me nothing. I just keep forgetting to ring to swap it over.

Sharkrider, please don't take this the wrong way. I feel that the information that you are offering foc on a public forum is very noble and generally seems pretty sound. I actually feel that your explanation of the wholly, exclusively and necessarily rule for employment expenses is pretty good, as it is a tricky subject matter to to explain without getting techie and involving case law & HMRC Employment income manuals.

However, you seem to jump in with both feet with your comments/conclusions without establishing all the facts of each scenario, which could be a tad risky. For example, the above BR coding - Mr TF may not be too happy if there was a large tax bill and payments on account waiting for him at the end of the year as a direct result of that BR coding.

I would consider using the words should/could, rather than 'will', merely for your own protection mate :thumbup:

I appreciate the caution, and actually thought twice about posting, but then its genral chat on a forum, and I'm only giving general advice that is freely available in HMRC's website, its not like I'm being paid to provide a service ;) at the end of the day, the rule stands "everyone is responsible for their own tax affairs" :thumbup:

Yes indeed, its now 45P per mile.

true 45p from 11/12 , but tax is done a year agao.. i.e. tax returns are now dealing with year 10/11. 11/12 is the current year :thumbup:

Also if we're getting picky, the 40p / 45p only applies to the first 10,000 business miles.

Anything over 10,000 is at 25p per mile (this figure has not altered since 2003)