EGR valve issue?

Hi, Merry Christmas and happy new year! Yesterday when I was driving at around 50 km/h at 4th gear, I heard a " hiss" sound and suddenly my car lost its power. I stopped my car and restart it again, trying to move it but the engine just cut off. There were no warning lights on so I had no idea what the problem was. An hour later, road assistance man came and he revved the engine and drove the car back and forth, no problems occurred. He did not know the problem so he towed my car to his garage. When I rang them this morning, I was told it could be a EGR valve issue. My car is a 2005 1.9 tdi Octavia, with over 120k kilometres on the clock. I am doing around 50k kilometres a year and I service it every 12k kilometres. Could it be a EGR issue? Or if it is, should I just have it cleaned or buy a new on? Thank in advance for your answer!

I heard a " hiss" sound and suddenly my car lost its power.

This in isolation would suggest a split or leaking turbo hose, however I'd expect the effects to continue until the hose was replaced, so perhaps not then...

The problem wont be with the EGR cars run OK with them stuck open or closed. (Although slightly better closed as clean air is better for the engine) They only recycle exhaust fumes you can even buy blanking plates to blank the valve off. Id take it somewhere else.

This in isolation would suggest a split or leaking turbo hose, however I'd expect the effects to continue until the hose was replaced, so perhaps not then...

+1 emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Loud hiss means pressurised air escaping somewhere. A faulty EGR valve will record a fault code - get it somewhere that can scan the car and read the fault codes.