1.2TSI cold start issue

hal

Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing cold start issues with the 1.2TSi?

Quite often when starting from cold, normally the first start in the morning, I get a horrible grinding noise like metal-on-metal and what sounds like over revving but the engine then runs normally. There are no warning indicators on the dash and it sometimes starts as it should. This has gradually been getting worse for the best part of two months and I mentioned this to the dealer on the last service at the end of November when the engine management software was updated but if anything it's getting worse. The car has done about 24k miles. The dealer tested the car but couldn't find any faults.

I think I will be taking the car back - something definitely doesn't sound right even if the computer says no.

I think it is normal, mine has been like so for the last 1.5 years of owning it. I think the grinding noise might be due to the ignition timing, aparently using 98RON solves it? Could someone please confirm?

I use Tesco Momentum which is 99 RON so don't think that's the problem.

Here in the Netherlands and in Germany there are various 1.2 /1.4 TSI engines, including the mine, that have a similar problem. (had)

It has to do with the distribution chain and the pressure rollers, my dealer has them replaced and the problem is gone.

It is here a known issue with the Skoda dealers.

With kind regards,

Mctreb (Bert)

• Like 1

I have had cold start issues with my diesel CR140 DSG.

It would appear that the main relay is opening too early and possibly sticking open. This caused the battery to go flat in 24 hours. New parts on order. Warranty repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only issue we've had up to now with our September 10, Fabia 1.2TSI (85) has been one epasode of very rough running after a cold/damp start; car had been stood about 3 or so hours since last used. RPM was dropping lower than normal around 700rpm from recollection and it sounded as if it might be firing on three rather than 4. Cleared after appling some reves and driving a few miles. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again :wonder: Otherwise very impressive little motor.

I know from various threads theres been issues with ECU's needing updates, various sensors requiring replacement plus some timing chains and turbo solenoid actuators sticking; new turbo required.

Not rearlly aceptable but this is a very new engine with various innovative design features; just looking at the latest parts list will show there's been a number of major components updated since launch.

Hope you get it sorted,

TP

Here in the Netherlands and in Germany there are various 1.2 /1.4 TSI engines, including the mine, that have a similar problem. (had)

It has to do with the distribution chain and the pressure rollers, my dealer has them replaced and the problem is gone.

It is here a known issue with the Skoda dealers.

With kind regards,

Mctreb (Bert)

Thanks for the information. Will talk to the dealer to get this sorted although I have complained about this problem before without resolution. Hoping that Skoda UK actually have a clue about this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been to the dealer who has replaced the timing chain and tensioner under warranty so fingers crossed.

It's just a shame I had to prompt him about the relevant Skoda TPI after asking on this forum.

Car has been to the dealer who has replaced the timing chain and tensioner under warranty so fingers crossed.

It's just a shame I had to prompt him about the relevant Skoda TPI after asking on this forum.

Good news Hal, problem solved ;)

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to give you all an update - the Yeti is currently having a NEW engine fitted!

The original fix didn't work so I took the car back to the dealer about 10 days ago. They took the engine apart and found that there was excessive scoring and even gouging on a couple of the pistons. Skoda UK then authorised the dealer that a new engine could be fitted under warranty. Phew!! If anyone else has this problem then I would urge them to get it thoroughly checked out.

Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing cold start issues with the 1.2TSi?

I had the same problem (25.700 km) and the dealer have replaced a new distribution chain.

The dealer can check this, if you car have a bad distribution chain, callback code 15D9.

I had the same problem (25.700 km) and the dealer have replaced a new distribution chain.

The dealer can check this, if you car have a bad distribution chain, callback code 15D9.

Yes this was the original fix but it didn't work in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back now with new engine. Suprised to hear that there is no extra warranty and it's only covered under the original 3 year deal. If I'd been paying then it would be covered for two years parts and labour by itself. Now have to keep my fingers crossed and run it in.

• 1 month later...

Just come to this thread and now I'm worried.

I've got the 1.2TSi engine and I've noticed that, when I start it for the first time of the day, it seems to take a a second or two to get going, after that it's absolutely fine. Is there anything I can do to see if this is likely to be an issue or do I just need to wait it out for a bit?

Wife's Fabia TSI is now getting timing chain rattle but only if the car has been left for a week or so and or it's very cold outside. Just been into our local but mediocre dealers for service, with the usual NFF as obviously they did not hear it while she was in and no, no they are not aware of problems with the chain or tensioner or any Skoda bulletin on this issue :wonder:

TP

I have had a similar issue with my car for a while now, but only with 95 RON (in fact it runs really poorly with that). When 98 RON fuel has been used (has been using for the last 600 miles or so), it runs a lot better, no grinding when it starts.

I am concern about this, my car is running out of warranty in April next year and I might need to go to the dealer more often!

• 2 months later...

I have 1.2 TSI and never had this problem, but my brother's friend, with the same yeti, did have some cold start issues. I don't know how it is by you, but here in Croatia we have gas stations with less or more "pure" petrol. As I hear, tsi engines are hyper sensitive to petrol quality and when I sip petrol it's always the same petrol company - one that I trust. But since I never had this issue, I don't know could petrol be the reason. Sorry if I missed a point. Jazz.

Although the car had a new engine fitted under warranty there was still a problem with noisy sarting.Turns out that the fuel pump also needed replacing and since this was done the problem has disappeared. Can tell any difference between filling up with 95RON fuel or higher octane petrol to be honest.

Wife's Fabia TSI is now getting timing chain rattle but only if the car has been left for a week or so and or it's very cold outside. Just been into our local but mediocre dealers for service, with the usual NFF as obviously they did not hear it while she was in and no, no they are not aware of problems with the chain or tensioner or any Skoda bulletin on this issue :wonder:

TP

Generally in the morning I get into my 2012 1.2 Tsi Yeti, close the door and start the engine, obviously the tick-over is higher for a few minutes but no noises detectable from inside. This morning I needed to go back to the house to collect something so leaned into the car to start the engine - i.e. I was outside the car when it started - I noticed there was very slight "tick, tick, tick from the engine when it started but the "ticking" had disappeared by the time I had walked to the house and back - 20 seconds maybe. Not sure if it has always made the noise as it is inaudible from inside the car. Could this be related to this discussion about timing chains etc. or is it normal on cold start-up?