Doing the impossible

Going to the Å koda website to download the new Yeti brochure I noticed this Yeti at the top doing something impossible as far as I know:

doingtheimpossible.jpg

Anyone else spot what it is doing that should be impossible? :giggle:

Headlights, fog lights and Daytime Runing Lights at the same time?

I don't think the fogs are on though... But yes the DRLs are on at the same time as the headlights! :giggle: A bit of PhotoShop SUK magic I suspect!

And Robshaw: back in your corner! :rofl: :rofl:

I don't think the fogs are on though... But yes the DRLs are on at the same time as the headlights! :giggle: A bit of PhotoShop SUK magic I suspect!

And Robshaw: back in your corner! :rofl: :rofl:

Can anyone explain to me why DRL's aren't on when headlights are on? Is this the case for all cars including Audi's etc?

Can anyone explain to me why DRL's aren't on when headlights are on? Is this the case for all cars including Audi's etc?

Where is Llanigraham when you need him?!?! I think it is law. Some sub point of a main point of a bit of legislation somewhere that Graham knows inside and out! So yes DRLs have to switch off when headlights switch on.

Where is Llanigraham when you need him?!?! I think it is law. Some sub point of a main point of a bit of legislation somewhere that Graham knows inside and out! So yes DRLs have to switch off when headlights switch on.

Many thanks - Will go away and have a read on this. :thumbup:

You rang, Sir?

Schedule 3, Part 1, Paragraph 3,a, i.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/3/made

You rang, Sir?

Schedule 3, Part 1, Paragraph 3,a, i.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/3/madehttp://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/3/made

:giggle: :giggle: I LOVE this place!

Do the Yeti running lights meet the lateral position requirement for front position lights? ie within 400mm?

Nobbut just if so, says he without measuring.

Somebody has too many idle hours to spend in a signal box methinks!

Actually Bob, I'm sat at home. :)

It just happens that one of the things I had to look at for a project with 4x4 Response at one time was the legalities or otherwise of certain lighting configurations, so got to know these Regulations quite well!

It is remarkably useful some times!!

Going to the Å koda website to download the new Yeti brochure I noticed this Yeti at the top doing something impossible as far as I know:

Anyone else spot what it is doing that should be impossible?

Looks like the LH wing mirror is folded in (?) And there is that expensive number plate again!

Peter

Ahem, point of order Mr Chairman.

Being a total pedant, whilst the RVLR regulations as linked by Llanigraham can be interpreted to deal with DRLs, to be factually and legally correct the regulations which cover this are embodied in the alignment of Directive 76/756/EEC with UN/ECE Regulation No 48 Rec 6 and all it's various revisions and corrections.

For those with too much time on their hands they are held together on this page

To save people without too much time on their hands the specific text reads on page 73.

6.19.7. Electrical connections

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate. However, daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the automatic transmission control is in the park or neutral position, while the parking brake is applied or after the propulsion system is activated but the vehicle was not set in motion for the first time.

The daytime running lamps shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals. /

Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched ON when the daytime running lamps are switched ON.

6.19.7.2.If the distance between the front direction-indicator lamp and the daytime running lamp is equal or less than 40 mm, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle may be such that either:

(a) It is switched OFF; or

(b ) Its luminous intensity is reduced during the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of a front direction-indicator lamp.

6.19.7.3. If a direction-indicator lamp is reciprocally incorporated with a daytime running lamp, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle shall be such that the daytime running lamp is switched OFF during the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of the direction-indicator lamp.

Re earlier post about 400mm, can see that the EU regs overwrite the RVLR regs and make the distance from edge of vehicle 600mm so gues Yeti conforms with that.

This is just another bit of legislation where UK legislaton is totally superceded by EC legislation, and furthermore basically has not kept up with technology.

For example the EC legislation deals with issues such as AFS systems, cornering lamps and so on.

HTH

:)

Ahem, point of order Mr Chairman.

Being a total pedant, whilst the RVLR regulations as linked by Llanigraham can be interpreted to deal with DRLs, to be factually and legally correct the regulations which cover this are embodied in the alignment of Directive 76/756/EEC with UN/ECE Regulation No 48 Rec 6 and all it's various revisions and corrections.

For those with too much time on their hands they are held together on this page

To save people without too much time on their hands the specific text reads on page 73.

6.19.7. Electrical connections

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate. However, daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the automatic transmission control is in the park or neutral position, while the parking brake is applied or after the propulsion system is activated but the vehicle was not set in motion for the first time.

The daytime running lamps shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals. /

Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched ON when the daytime running lamps are switched ON.

6.19.7.2.If the distance between the front direction-indicator lamp and the daytime running lamp is equal or less than 40 mm, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle may be such that either:

(a) It is switched OFF; or

(b ) Its luminous intensity is reduced during the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of a front direction-indicator lamp.

6.19.7.3. If a direction-indicator lamp is reciprocally incorporated with a daytime running lamp, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle shall be such that the daytime running lamp is switched OFF during the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of the direction-indicator lamp.

Re earlier post about 400mm, can see that the EU regs overwrite the RVLR regs and make the distance from edge of vehicle 600mm so gues Yeti conforms with that.

This is just another bit of legislation where UK legislaton is totally superceded by EC legislation, and furthermore basically has not kept up with technology.

For example the EC legislation deals with issues such as AFS systems, cornering lamps and so on.

HTH

:)

C'mon Graham, surely you're not going to take being 'outpedanted' lying down? Time for a "Champion of Champion Regulations Anorak" competition methinks :D

The same picture appeared in my local paper with a proper reg no, will post the write up in a separate thread

post-52230-0-04346800-1325704336_thumb.jpg