Picked up the Roomster today

demag

I picked up the Roomy today after putting a dent in my bank balance. It was dark when I eventually dragged myself screaming and kicking out of the showroom! Why do they like to keep you hanging on for so long?! 2 1/2 hours last week and 1 1/2 hours today. They must be lonely or something.

Anyway, driving home in rush hour heavy traffic in a strange car was a bit unnerving but we survived. I did 30 miles in it tonight and I'm very impressed. For a 1.4 diesel there's quite a bit of poke there. I struggled with basic stuff like managing to get all the doors open with the plip but I'm off work tomorrow so will have a good look around it. :)

I've been reading through the handbook. I have to say it's hard work. It must be a direct translation from the Czech.

It is proper pidgeon English. I have to read sections over and over to understand it.

I managed to reset the computer and am averaging just under 50mpg round town! My old Kia Carens used to do 24mpg! It was auto though but would barely scrape 40mpg on a run.

Had ours about 6 weeks now, the handbook is hard work as you say but most things seem to be intuitive. Hole in the wallet still hurts though.

Edited by bryanb

I made the transition from Schitroen to Roomy 2 1/2 years ago. I had the same issues as you with the plip and the handbook but as said, most things are intuitive. Unlike the Schitroen, nothing has fallen off my Roomy, nothing has gone wrong with it, and I am still on speaking terms with the dealer.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

Well the first day has been ok! I am impressed by the performance and although the engine can be heard inside its not unpleasant. The dipped headlights aren't quite as good as the Kia but they are ok. The seating is very comfy and there's good room inside. The boot is excellent and swallowed a weeks shopping with no problem. The sound from the radio could be from a much more expensive car. And the heating and ventilation are good. However the control knobs feel very cheap and second rate. For such a small item they could have done better than that. The knobs in the Kia felt solid and beautifully crafted and not like they'd been stuck on as an afterthought. I haven't sussed the radio tuning yet but did manage to get the "auto tune" to work which found Smooth Radio which will do for now.

Surprisingly there are two Continental tyres on the front and two Bridgestone on the back. Not sure whats gone on there it having done only 20k. Also the long wheelbase is noticeable when parking in tight spaces. The service spanner is flashing but I bought a "service and mot pack" from Evans Halshaw so they can look at that. I'm also struggling slightly with the throttle pick up as there is some travel on the pedal before anything happens when I'm letting the clutch out. Which incidentally is nice and light.

Not major problems with anything really. I just need a few days to adapt from driving an auto.

Its a great car, yes some of the switch gears a bit cheap but hey its not the end of the world. Dont forget, it was designed quiet a few years ago now and if you compared it to say an older Kia I bet youd find them much better. Things move on very quickly these days. At the end of the day, its how it drives and what it actually does that matter. Weve been brainwashed by the media about how switch gear is the be all and end all of a car, oh and how the doors sound when they shut :giggle:

Them OEM projector headlights are pretty poor on the Roomster. I have fitted uprated bulbs and they still aren't great

Yes I tried to uprate the headlight bulbs too. Managed the main beams ok, but the dips have so little access I chickened. Is there a secret? remove the lamps maybe? or do you just need small hands?

I'm also struggling slightly with the throttle pick up as there is some travel on the pedal before anything happens when I'm letting the clutch out.

I believe there was an issue with the throttle position sensor on some pre 2009 Roomsters/Fabias and faulty sensors were replaced under warranty. It's a quick and easy fix for your dealer. Try a search in the Fabia section for more information. HTH

On the whole yes very impressed. As I say the few things I picked up on are really just minor things I've noticed. I can easily live with them. The spanner is flashing and looking at the service history I don't think the air filter has ever been changed so I'll get it booked in. My youngest son had a drive today. He has a C4 coupe which is quite nippy and he commented how well it pulls. We sat in the back and had a play with the seats. :D The amount of adjustment is phenomenal. My son had the back reclined and his legs stretched out!

The spanner is flashing and looking at the service history I don't think the air filter has ever been changed so I'll get it booked in.

I'm very suprised that it wasn't serviced before being put up for sale, for a main dealer to sell a car with the service light on is pretty poor.

20,000 miles is about right for tyre wear on a front wheel drive car so the reason the front tyres don't match the rears is that it will have had the worn fronts replaced some time prior to sale.

Yes I tried to uprate the headlight bulbs too. Managed the main beams ok, but the dips have so little access I chickened. Is there a secret? remove the lamps maybe? or do you just need small hands?

Are the headlights different on the newer models? I understood that my 2009 model has single H7 bulbs with a mechanical dipping system and the reflector type headlights has an H4 bulb. The bulb replacement guide in the manual certainly only shows one bulb.

Are the headlights different on the newer models? I understood that my 2009 model has single H7 bulbs with a mechanical dipping system and the reflector type headlights has an H4 bulb. The bulb replacement guide in the manual certainly only shows one bulb.

Not sure about 2009 but 2010 definitely has 2 H7s in each headlight. You could check by looking at the rubber covers if there are 2, it's 2 bulbs..

Not sure yet but I believe both bulbs are on in the main beam position.

Edited by bryanb

Not sure about 2009 but 2010 definitely has 2 H7s in each headlight. You could check by looking at the rubber covers if there are 2, it's 2 bulbs..

Not sure yet but I believe both bulbs are on in the main beam position.

Skoda must have realised how poor the early headlights were. I wonder how easy it would be to fit the new ones, and at what cost.

MY2008 Roomster Scout with projector headlights has only one bulb for the dipped & main, with a mechanical device for switching between them. Access is tight, so tight infact I ended up breaking a connection on the vacuum control module in the process :thumbdown:

I changed sidelights, Main/Dipped beam and indicator bulbs.