How are we all watching F1 this year?

MartynVRS

How do you do this and what do I need?

Also seen this site that has live race streams but I need an invite code

racingfor.me

Basically you need a Satellite Dish, minimum size 60cm or a "zone two" type dish i.e. slightly bigger than usual to stop break up in bad weather conditions The dish needs to be rotated to 19.2E (Astra 1) Fresat is at 28E (Astra 2)

A universal LNB how many ways is up to you, you need one connection per reciever depending on how you wire the DiSEqC switch, which is covered next.

A DiSEqC switch which senses the need to switch from one dish to another when you change channel on the reciever I'm going for a two way switch, I was going to install the switch at the receiver end as I have a spare feed I can use for the second dish. You can install at the dish end if you want.

Here's a bit of info on this link Linkage

Here is another option with one dish and multiple LNB's. note the DiSEqC switch wired at the dish end

Linkage

The reciever needs to be familiar with the DiSEqC protocol The Humax is not set up from the factory for this though has a secret menu which can be accessed.

Full set up destructions are here linkage

All the best with this let me know how you get on. Hopefully I'll be sorting mine over the next few weeks or so.

Usual disclaimers apply electrocution,fire,radiation all down to you :giggle:

I'm watching F1 in HD. Moto GP on Eurosport and BTTC on ITV4. Some Sundays I don't know what to watch first......

Boring? No all the property/cookery/reality shows. That's boring.

Basically you need a Satellite Dish, minimum size 60cm or a "zone two" type dish i.e. slightly bigger than usual to stop break up in bad weather conditions The dish needs to be rotated to 19.2E (Astra 1) Fresat is at 28E (Astra 2)

A universal LNB how many ways is up to you, you need one connection per reciever depending on how you wire the DiSEqC switch, which is covered next.

A DiSEqC switch which senses the need to switch from one dish to another when you change channel on the reciever I'm going for a two way switch, I was going to install the switch at the receiver end as I have a spare feed I can use for the second dish. You can install at the dish end if you want.

Here's a bit of info on this link Linkage

Here is another option with one dish and multiple LNB's. note the DiSEqC switch wired at the dish end

Linkage

The reciever needs to be familiar with the DiSEqC protocol The Humax is not set up from the factory for this though has a secret menu which can be accessed.

Full set up destructions are here linkage

All the best with this let me know how you get on. Hopefully I'll be sorting mine over the next few weeks or so.

Usual disclaimers apply electrocution,fire,radiation all down to you :giggle:

You can buy this as a kit can't you? Pretty sure I've seen these in Maplin or even Lidl. This is just one option but would I definitely get a channel with F1 on? Also I sort of understand the switching but do you have to have two dishes too? How much does all this cost as well as the Humax box?

Going to tune into RTL using a second dish a DiSEqC switch and retuning my freesat box. Its the same video feed from the track across the world and in the commentary boxes, so the R5 commentary should sync ok with the picture. A lot cheaper than being tied into sky for some ridiculous monthly payment. I can always watch it again with the BBC in HD.

Similar here. Old FortecStar HD Sat box with 1 meter dish on rotator. Using Usals. Can get almost anything that's FTA. Watched WRC Rally 2011 on Sport 1 (german commentary)

Sky and virgin can stuff off with the rates they charge.

And remember you are effectively paying your licence fee twice!

I will be watching it on the BBC. For Free. Well, the part they get.

I used to watch the world rally championship for free too, but that's gone now and honestly I don't miss it.

The BEST car racing championship I know of is the BTCC. Fortunately we've still got that on free TV. :thumbup:

You can buy this as a kit can't you? Pretty sure I've seen these in Maplin or even Lidl. This is just one option but would I definitely get a channel with F1 on? Also I sort of understand the switching but do you have to have two dishes too? How much does all this cost as well as the Humax box?

Shop around and you'll find the deals, here's one at screwfx which doen't seem too bad at £60 complete with receiver. linkage though read the reviews. a DiSEqC switch is about £10. If you currently have no satellite setup you can buy the screwfix kit and tune into Astra 1 to get RTL and F1. If you just do this you don't need the switch. This will mean you won't be able to get the freesat channels as they are on a different satellite unless you go for one of the other options I posted earlier. A basic dish setup is angled and fixed to one satellite at a time on installation. Satellites stay in the same place in the sky as they rotate at the same speed as the earth. (geostationary orbit)

Another option is as Goonybird's and motorising a dish. All options come at varying incremental levels of expensiveness from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds, depending what you are starting out with and what you want. the screwfix deal seems a good starting point if you haven't currently got a satellite system.

I'm modifying my system based on RTL broadcastng F1, other than that I'm not sure how to reassure you.

A bit cheesed off with the whole F1 scene at the minute. Going to try and avoid it if possible (probably end up watching the beeb).

On one hand Bernie sells the viewing to Sky to (allegedly)ensure long term survival then we are subjected to his tabloid fodder offspring telling the planet how many bazzillions she's worth. Nah, no thanks.

It's getting harder to justify to myself that F1 does have a soul and is not just some corporate circus.

A bit cheesed off with the whole F1 scene at the minute. Going to try and avoid it if possible (probably end up watching the beeb).

On one hand Bernie sells the viewing to Sky to (allegedly)ensure long term survival then we are subjected to his tabloid fodder offspring telling the planet how many bazzillions she's worth. Nah, no thanks.

It's getting harder to justify to myself that F1 does have a soul and is not just some corporate circus.

Bernie didn't sell to sky, the BBC did.

I will certainly not be going to Sky after finding what ****ards they were when trying to convince them my father had died and would no longer need his sky package, they just stopped short of actually demanding to see the body! I will have to watch what I'm offered on the beeb I suppose.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I've looked into the dish option and the direction I need to point the dish at I can't because there's a house in the way. Streaming is an option but most sites have been closing lately in fear of what's happened to MegaUpload. I have had someone I know be all smug to say they've got the F1 channel "for free" but they pay nearly £60 a month all in. My last option is to phone Virgin and ask if I can have the one channel on it's own but I doubt it as it's packaged with the sports and for me it wouldn't be HD either unless I bought the other box. I'll ring them in a few days to see.

I'm into F1 this year more than ever so I've got to do something. I'm still living at home so even if I wanted to sell my soul to Sky I couldn't. I don't have any room for the box let alone know if a Sky dish would be fine. Looks like it will be a combination of streaming and BBC coverage for me this year.

I don't have Sky or cable and i love F1, so looks like i will only be watching the BBC races and the high lights which i am not happy about. I could go out and Sky installed but i have never like Ruppert Murdock and as he owns Sky i shan't be giving him my hard earn cash.

Right with you. :thumbup:

I simply will be boycotting it this year also.

Likewise - can't get $ky where we are (too many trees in the way of the satellite - I kid you not) and I'd resent having to pay Murdoch for the privilege even if I could receive the signal.

Ecclestone's avarice is legendary but I reckon the Beeb could've hung onto F1 - they were bringing in huge audiences - but the general feeling around the industry is that it was sacrificed at the altar of the Olympics and as a gesture to HMG that they can't eke out the frozen licence fee to cover both. :dull:

Touring cars & WRC (if they can manage to sort THAT mess out) for me this year I think..