Emissions Workshop! warning

Hi Guys, the emissions workshop warning just came up on my 2.5 tdi V6 today and the little warning light on the dash "the small engine" is lit up. Car is driving perfectly with absolutely no emissions or any sign of smoke. Stopped and started a few times today but warning still there. Bosch 44 fuel injection pump and ECU have been replaced 11000 miles ago and absolutely no problems there. Any ideas? As I say the car is running perfectly with no smokiness at all.

A scan is the best approach but if your car has the original (black) temperature sender I would replace it on spec. for a green one. Avoid Chinese, GSF sell good European made replacements for less than VAG charge. The VAG part no. is 059 919 501A. Change the "O" ring and don't break the clip. Top up with specified coolant only.

Mine failed at a time when I could not interrogate the fault memory so I changed it as it was a black one (thanks, VAG - the modified ones were available when my engine was built) and after a couple of engine runs to operating temperature the light went out and has not reappeared. I must clear the code sometime. The car will run correctly with a faulty coolant temperature sender as the ECU uses a substitute temperature value derived from the fuel return temperature.

The black temperature senders are back filled with rock-hard white epoxy which stresses and breaks the brittle thermistor elements after a few heat cycles. Really poor detailing - the Japanese know far better than to do this.

How many miles did you get out of your first VP44 pump? Horrible design.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

I got 62k miles out of the original VP44 pump. Strangely I thought the emissions warning was something to do with exhaust smoke? I had some before the original fuel pump failed but absolutely none since. I had no emissions warnings with the smokey engine back then!

Where exactly under the bonnet is the sensor which you speak about located?

Edited by Frank 24

The "engine symbol" warning lamp is a general fault indicator which comes on when there is a problem with the engine management such as a sensor giving a reading outside the predicted value. There are about 100 things which could cause it to come on - hence the general need to read the fault code log.

I'm not a V6 owner so I can't tell you precisely where the CTS is located on your engine but it will be somewhere in the water jacket towards the top of the engine. On the PD, it's at the back of the cylinder head.

VAG only got 1/3 diesel engines right for the Superb - the 1.9 PD. The 2.0 PD self-destructs and the V6 eats VP44s. Not cheap motoring.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

Thanks Rotodiesel, I think you're spot on re the VP44 pump being a bad design, I've read your opinions of it on other posts when I had that problem and you were correct. I'm hoping that the management light is connected to the sensor fault, I can't see anything else wrong with the car, it is driving perfectly apart from an odd niggly squeak from the brakes occasionly. Having said that I intend to change the car early this year as we only need to be a one car family now and the wife is a little bit afraid of the Superb due to the big power and the fact that it's an automatic. I'll miss it even though it has cost me a few quid last year for a VP44 replacement. I'll take it to my local garage on Monday see if they can scan it and confirm the fault. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your opinion and reply.

I had a look for the sensor this morning, it is mounted to the left of the VP44 pump and is very accessible. It is also the green type as mentioned by Rotodiesel and not the black type. I played around checking connections etc and checking the loom from the sensor. I started the engine, the management light went out and there is no "emmissions workshop!" message. Went for a short test run with no problems although I have a 150 mile trek this afternoon which might be a better test. I wonder did the connection come loose although I dont think so but maybe a wire on the connecton block could be loose? I don't know but here's hoping it was as simple as that. I'll keep you posted of any developments.

My superb had a green sensor on it my light came on stayed on a day or so then dissapeared and came on a week or so later I scanned car and it came up with relevant code so decided I would change it and all been good since

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Can somebody tell me where the Temperate Sender sits exactly in the engine bay?

I would like to change mine as my emmissions light came on yesterday and after reading the posts it seems like mine needs changing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

It's easy on the 1.9 but awkward. The sender is on the RHS of the engine towards the rear. Remove covers, disconnect cable and pull out horseshoe plastic clip - carefully. Prepare for loss of coolant or catch. Pull out the sender and make sure you recover the "O" ring seal - you may need to hook it out with a right angled small screwdriver. Reassembly is the reverse of... (use a new "O" ring and clip if you broke it). Top up with G12++ and distilled water 50/50 and check level after a drive with the heater on.

rotodiesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Managed to get it on the Snap on Diagnostics and its coming up with the EGR System fault.

Will it still be the Temperature sensor? as mine is the green type so think its been changed by the previous owner.

• 10 months later...

hi guys lately my car has been giving long start ups and white smoke when turned on for the past 3 weeks and recently there is a EMISSION WORKSHOP ALERT AND CHECK ENGINE sign for the past 1 week guys help me out ....am worried 

• Like 1

Posting in 3 different threads don't get your problem fixed faster. Also it's pretty annoying. Seeing a professional workshop would be my first thought as to what you should do or get it scanned via VCDs to see if any errors come up. 

• Like 1