Anyone want BLACK springs for the auto boot opener?

Personally I don't think it would ever work on the Octy hatch (forget the vRS with spoiler). The tailgate is so heavy (lots of glass), the space in which to compress the spring is so small, coupled with the dampers only taking over when it's beyond horizontal, I don't think there's anything that would do that job.....

....unless you put some uber-springs in places they're not, but then you probably wouldn't be able to close the tailgate at all.

Personally I don't think it would ever work on the Octy hatch (forget the vRS with spoiler). The tailgate is so heavy (lots of glass), the space in which to compress the spring is so small, coupled with the dampers only taking over when it's beyond horizontal, I don't think there's anything that would do that job.....

....unless you put some uber-springs in places they're not, but then you probably wouldn't be able to close the tailgate at all.

Yeah, but mine was on an estate!

Yeah, but mine was on an estate!

I know, but if you'd got a reliable solution for the estate, it would have been a good starting point for the hatch ;) ;)

• 1 month later...
I'll have some hatch ones?

Tim, I don't think us hatch owners will get this mod. The gap left when the tailgate is closed is not very big and the tailgate is quite heavy (all that glass). If you do it manually, you'll find just how far you'd have to launch the tailgate before the struts take over. Don't think there's a spring that'll fit in the gap that would get the tailgate that far up.

If you could find some more powerful, smaller struts, that might do the trick, but I don't think it'll come in on the happy side of financially viable :( :(