Anyone want BLACK springs for the auto boot opener?

Just getting interest in case my springs don't fail quite quickly cos this place might be able to make a group buy or summat. I got the for a fiver for the pair, but it's because they live close to me so they didn't do any paperwork. (and they let me test out different pairs until I cracked it with this one. Nice and cheap way of doing it! :thumbup: )

)

BTW, how are people getting on with their mods after 6+ months: have they given up the ghost??

Obviously, this is for an estate (not sure anyone's got a hatchback to work yet, but the company I got them from does ultra heavy duty ones which are orange, so if they would work for a hatchback, then at least they'd be kind of inkeeping with quite a few other small plastic parts in the engine of an octy which are the same colour.)

I'd be interested in possibly trying the orange ones on my hatch, depending on price of course.

The orange ones are available all over the place in yellow (http://www.cromwell.co.uk/IND4603220X) and unless you live anywhere near the Reading/Farnborough/Wokingham area they'd probably be a bit cheaper than where I got the black ones from. It's mainly cos the black obviously fits in with the colour of eveything else that's the main draw, but they're only realistic for estates.

The generic yellow ones from Cromwell (and loads of other places) are slightly stronger than the orange ones I can get hold of too.

Your choice, and obviously you need to find out if anyone's had any success with doing this mod to a hatch.

The orange ones are available all over the place in yellow (http://www.cromwell.co.uk/IND4603220X) and unless you live anywhere near the Reading/Farnborough/Wokingham area they'd probably be a bit cheaper than where I got the black ones from. It's mainly cos the black obviously fits in with the colour of eveything else that's the main draw, but they're only realistic for estates.

The generic yellow ones from Cromwell (and loads of other places) are slightly stronger than the orange ones I can get hold of too.

Your choice, and obviously you need to find out if anyone's had any success with doing this mod to a hatch.

I had a look at Cromwell's. Good prices.

Does anyone know what size is needed for the hatch? I'll give it a go and post pics if it works. :)

Less than £2 at Cromwell, bargain. I take it you need 2 and the link is for the specific springs? Like someone else said if the boot popped up the button would make sense

Also I take it, it doesn't damage the struts?

At the mo, Cromwell are the best option if you want them cheap, but they'll be red or yellow depending on whether which strength you want. I'm not aware of anyone fitting springs to a hatch and have it working, but i'm guessing it'd need to be the ultra heavy duty ones since everyone who HAS tried has apparently failed so far.

I got mine from source for a fiver for the pair, but I asked them about selling pairs and they said they'd be likely to be close to a tenner + postage to make it worth their while (they usually have a £25 minimum order, it's just cos I was local... they weren't THAT keen otherwise), but as I said, if enough people are interested and someone wants to sort out a group buy, then i'm sure they'd happily sell them at not much more than the Cromwell prices.

Seems a fair bit of interest; if someone wants to take it on, i'll mail them the company's contact details... I don't think they'd appreciate everyone calling them about individual pairs unless you're willing to pay over the odds, and it might f*ck it up for everyone. :S

Oh, seeing as no-one could be @rsed to comment when I asked what sizes I needed recently, i'll let you know that from MY experience and trials, estate owners need 16x51 heavy duty (cromwell red) die springs to make the boot open... although I stress I have NO idea if they'll permanantly last as i've only just fitted my springs (if these fail, i'm giving the 16x44 extra heavy duty ones a shot as the heavy duty in that size only juuuuust failed to work all the time, but I soooo wanted the springs in black!). Sorry, I have no idea if the extra heavy duty springs would make the hatchbacks pop open successfully, or the size, but they'd definitely be 16xsomething-similar, as that's the correct size to fit over the piston rod.

Edited by blackspaven

Yea I'm up for a set for the estate. I have the red ones fitted at the mo and it's a little difficult to close the boot with them on. What are these black ones like when closing?

They're not much stiffer than closing the boot normally. The only difference seems to be that the boot wants to naturally spring open again a little, but that's understandable.

They're not much stiffer than closing the boot normally. The only difference seems to be that the boot wants to naturally spring open again a little, but that's understandable.

ok cheers for the reply

Am interested, but would need to be less than £10 delivered to me as I suspect that it might only last 6 months or so.

For those asking about hatchbacks - I don't know if this is of any interest to you, but it might be an alternative solution.

vRS hatchback owners will need some pretty strong springs as there is the weight of the spoiler to lift too...

That's why I said the ultra heavy duty springs are more likely to be the puppies to use.

Having said that, if the black ones DO give up after 6 months, i can just use the shorter, 44mm heavy duty ones cos the reduced spring compression rate would mean that they'd last a hell of a lot longer... they're just not in black and if the 51mm black ones carry on working, i'd rather have those simply for the looks. :thumbup:

I installed red ones from the orignal thread (bearing boys) last weekend.

Today the boot didnt open fully so class them as failed.

Im in for a set of the ultra strong ones then.....is this thread a group buy or a helpfull thread linking to the cromwell ones?

Mines and Estate by the way.....

I installed red ones from the orignal thread (bearing boys) last weekend.

Today the boot didnt open fully so class them as failed.

Im in for a set of the ultra strong ones then.....is this thread a group buy or a helpfull thread linking to the cromwell ones?

Mines and Estate by the way.....

Next logical step is... http://www.cromwell.co.uk/IND4603219W

Forget it. Tried heavy AND extra heavy duty springs, in both 44mm & 51mm sizes, from this company, and although I don't doubt their legitimacy, I don't think die springs were ever meant to be used in this way. Brand new dampers would help to increase the strength, but not willing to pay that much for something that may or nay not work: this only cost me a fiver to find out! :smirk:

I think in the long term the only realistic reliable way is uprated dampers... but no-one knows which model cars you'd need to accomplish this.