Strange fault on PD170 vRS

It's happened twice now, both at the exact same point of my daily commute.

After being sat at between 65-75mph for up to 45 minutes on my way to work, when I leave the dual carriageway and dip the clutch in preparation to give way at a junction the engine stalls.

The first time it did it I happened to be lifting up the clutch after changing from sixth to fourth, this must have bumped the car back into life, however this morning when I dipped the clutch and noticed the battery light come on I left the clutch dipped and sure enough the engine died.

Started up again no problem.

Add this to the cold starting issues I'm having (all since the injectors were replaced) and I get the feeling something is a miss...

Edited by silver1011

I had this issue about 2 weeks ago and true enough a few days later the DPF light came on so i think there linked.

Same situation aswell once clutch goes down approaching roundabout/junction it would cut out but not a normal diesel stall as they these can be quite harsh, at first i didt even relise it had cut out until i saw the battery light

Thanks all, it's back at the dealers later this week, I'll quiz them on it.

I've just had a new turbo fitted as the original had a loose impeller and was leaking oil.

Could the oil leaking out of the turbo have made it into the DPF?

No, not sure, if it was leaking only as long as it was whistling then just a few weeks, if the leak contributed to the whistling then it could have been for a while.

I hope the leaky turbo hasn't damaged the DPF, my commute is a 70 mile each way cruise at 50-70mph so it gets plenty of opportunities to regen.

May be I've just been unlucky and interrupted two regens which has resulted in the engine cutting out...

Hmmm interesting, my Leon FR is the exact same and it's really worrying me now.

As you say you don't know it's happened until battery light has come on. My DPF I presume should be okay as I do 40 miles a day but maybe it isn't? The cost frightens me!

No, not sure, if it was leaking only as long as it was whistling then just a few weeks, if the leak contributed to the whistling then it could have been for a while.

I hope the leaky turbo hasn't damaged the DPF, my commute is a 70 mile each way cruise at 50-70mph so it gets plenty of opportunities to regen.

May be I've just been unlucky and interrupted two regens which has resulted in the engine cutting out...

Its not so much the speed as it is the rev's when my light came up i just drove for 10 mins in 5th at 60 just to get it above 2000 revs.

This is what i found odd as i dont do town driving, im constantly running back and forth to boyfriends in guisborough over the moor roads so it gets a good run near enough every night.

It is quiet unnerving as mine cut out at 40mph (freewheeling down to a roundabout down a hill) nothing major happens in the way of breaking or steering but obviously you dont have the assistance there

Good point, I've only had the car since October. It's been Skoda serviced every 10K and just had it's major 4 year service/cambelt before I bought it.

I wonder when the recommended interval for a fuel filter change is?

If it's not before 4 years / 33,000 miles then I don't think it has been changed.

Good tip though, thanks :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

The stalling was the result of the injector change which I had done under warranty.

They weren't fitted correctly.

In the end the stalling was the least of my worries but that is another thread!

They fiddled a bit more (took out and re-seated the injectors) and its been fine since (touches wood!)...

I was one more 'regen' away from phoning Shark to book it in.

The DPF must have heard me cursing it from inside the car as (touches wood!) I haven't felt the effects of a regen since.

Long may it continue :happy:

Now I've posted this I'll be ring Shark after my drive home! :rofl: