I should probably be dead...

xa0sx

Er, driving around hard tonight, leaving braking to the last possible second on a lot of corners, generally driving like a ****. I then thought I'd let the car cool down a bit, parked up and had my foot resting on the brake pedal then POP, pedal hits the floor instantly, pumped a few times but it's as if a cable had snapped, there was no resistance what-so-ever, instantly hitting the floor every time...

401177_2242173194126_1841990307_1398807_46247676_n.jpg

Gotta jack her up tomorrow and see what's happened, I'm guessing a hose rubbing against the wheel, I've had my suspicions it had been happening before but could never find a way of making a hose reach the wheel. Maybe only when the suspension is compressed or something...

But yeah, I'm feeling pretty lucky, it's mad how it didn't go when anchored up proper from high speeds, but decides to go when resting my foot on the pedal... Any explanation for that?

Makes ya think though. I have had dreams about this kind of **** but always assumed it was one in a million etc.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Er, driving around hard tonight, leaving braking to the last possible second on a lot of corners, generally driving like a ****.. I then thought I'd let the car cool down a bit, parked up and had my foot resting on the brake pedal then POP, pedal hits the floor instantly, pumped a few times but it's as if a cable had snapped, there was no resistance what-so-ever, instantly hitting the floor every time...

401177_2242173194126_1841990307_1398807_46247676_n.jpg

Gotta jack her up tomorrow and see what's happened, I'm guessing a hose rubbing against the wheel, I've had my suspicions it had been happening before but could never find a way of making a hose reach the wheel. Maybe only when the suspension is compressed or something...

But yeah, I'm feeling pretty lucky, it's mad how it didn't go when anchored up proper from high speeds, but decides to go when resting my foot on the pedal... Any explanation for that?

Makes ya think though. I have had dreams about this kind of **** but always assumed it was one in a million etc.

Call it a wake up call.

That was lucky, did the lowered suspension play a part in it? I've had a couple of cars where, when MOTing them a brake pipe split and another developed a leak at a front caliper. At least the car has a dual circuit hydraulic system so there would have been some braking ability.

That was lucky, did the lowered suspension play a part in it? I've had a couple of cars where, when MOTing them a brake pipe split and another developed a leak at a front caliper. At least the car has a dual circuit hydraulic system so there would have been some braking ability.

I think so mate, gunna have to investigate, had various mechanics look over the car and not seen the problem before so yeh

gunna drop it into unit 18 next week as its having a batch of things done

I think what Brimma is alluding to is the fact that you had been less lucky & got a floppy pedal in the middle of some of your last minute high speed braking. Even if the car had done it's job & saved you from injury. You could well have wiped out some poor innocent who happened to be in the way? If you're at a Motorsport event, you take that risk either as a competitor or a bystander.

I think what Brimma is alluding to is the fact that you had been less lucky & got a floppy pedal in the middle of some of your last minute high speed braking. Even if the car had done it's job & saved you from injury. You could well have wiped out some poor innocent who happened to be in the way? If you're at a Motorsport event, you take that risk either as a competitor or a bystander.

I know its Sunday but I didn't realise Brisky had sunk this far. Talk about a sanctimonious Pious self righteous misogynist!!

If your fecking brakes fail driving down a 60 limit going in to a corner then you are stuffed wether you brake early or late (unless you are crawling at 10mph or an expert with the HB) With ABS, servo and other modern systems it doesn't matter how hard or fast you jump on the pedal the pressure at the wheel end is still limited to a max. If a hose/ coupling is going to fail it will do so at any speed.

Besides which (and no offence to him) what the OP calls late and hard into a corner is probably nowhere near the design capabilities of the car which has to be (and is) capable of braking consistantly from 60+ to 10 every few hundred meters for miles and miles.

Glad it happened when it did fella.

+1

At the end of the day, he's come in openly admitting that he had been enjoying himself, have you NEVER had the urge to drive quickly through your favourite roads? Give him a break!

Glad you were stationary at the time fella, to be honest I reckon the pipe must have already been fractured and with the extra pressure and heat just let go, but I'm no expert...

True, but at some point everyone gets a wake-up call to calm down.

Be it mechanical failure, family or friends tragedy or whatever. I'd agree with others above to treat this a sign if what could have been driving as the OP says they do.

As to why its failed, are the hoses still full length or shortened? Again as above if left too long will rub or kink and start to wear through. Even braded hoses won't help stop this in the end. Who lowered it, and did they mention the hoses?

There's a time and place for 100% driving, and the roads are not one.

I think most people are taking the following as being the problem:

Er, driving around hard tonight, leaving braking to the last possible second on a lot of corners, generally driving like a ****.

If you "suspected" a problem, why not look for one?

+1

At the end of the day, he's come in openly admitting that he had been enjoying himself, have you NEVER had the urge to drive quickly through your favourite roads? Give him a break!

Unless I'm hallucinating, I'm pretty sure the original post referred to racing a Clio, and regularly stamping on his brakes from 120mph

That was where any sympathy ended as far as I was concerned

Unless I'm hallucinating, I'm pretty sure the original post referred to racing a Clio, and regularly stamping on his brakes from 120mph

That was where any sympathy ended as far as I was concerned

It did at 3am this morning and I felt the same so couldn't be arsed posting .

Wake up call to what? Even on a track with long run off area you'd be pretty mangled bro

At least on a track you would have less chance of killing someone else. I work for the emergency services and have to deal with the conesquences all the time. The track is the place for this sort of driving and even there discipline is required.

Edited by Photoemt

Can we put the flame suits away!

It's not really a question of flame suits, Mike, and maybe I'm being Mr Sanctimonius and/or Mr Pious, but we've all seen the 'which car is better' thread, or 'my car's got more power than your car' thread

I think in legal terms it would be classed as 'previous bad character' or 'antecedents'

As the saying goes 'leopards don't change their spots', but after this incident, they may need a change of underpants

It's Ironic that you fitted the biggest brakes possible for your car and they pop when stationary. Scary.

Even though he admits driving like a madman, at least he has spent a fortune on big brakes, front and back to stop him.

Shrug, anyone with a fast car sometimes has a crazy moment and that's all it takes for mechanical failure. If it's a worn pipe then it could also have failed while he was doing 10mph in stop-start traffic. If you want to get really annoyed at something, get annoyed at the corresponding Facebook photo posted at 4am (i.e. after this thread) where he "couldn't miss a party" so drove there with no brakes...

Shrug, anyone with a fast car sometimes has a crazy moment and that's all it takes for mechanical failure. If it's a worn pipe then it could also have failed while he was doing 10mph in stop-start traffic. If you want to get really annoyed at something, get annoyed at the corresponding Facebook photo posted at 4am (i.e. after this thread) where he "couldn't miss a party" so drove there with no brakes...

Oh dear.........

So after driving like that and having a lucky escape, he drives a car he knows is unsafe anyway risking his, road users and any passengers lives most likely on the limit as well?

I've suffered brake failure on the m25 after hitting a tyre carcass and being unable to avoid it. The moment of the pedal hitting the floor and the brake warning lights and sounds in rush hour is a chilling one i'll never forget. I certainly didn't contemplate driving once I managed to get stopped. A cut hose, smashed caliper and shattered disc was the damage in the end.

It seems that way, although it's possible that the photo was taken earlier (i.e. at the point they failed) and then just posted on Facebook to get people talking and seek a reaction (the only point of reference for time is when the Facebook post appeared, IIRC Facebook removes things like EXIF data). Some of Luke's posts on there can be taken that way, and hopefully even he's not daft enough to drive after spewing all his brake fluid over the floor.