What Oil

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using 5/40 platinum (silver bottle) oil for my Mk1 Octy VRS for years. I went to the skoda dealer last week and he did not have it what i wanted. He only had a bottle of 5/30 (silver bottle again) and as thet is not quite enough he sold me his last 1 litre bottle of 5/40 platinum (silver bottle) oil. Is it ok to mix the two as they are both synthetic and also is it ok to mix oil with different viscosities (if i spelled that right i will eat my own shoe).

Any advice on this oil dilema would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by leedavenport

I have been using 5/40 platinum (silver bottle) oil for my Mk1 Octy VRS for years. I went to the skoda dealer last week and he did not have it what i wanted. He only had a bottle of 5/30 (silver bottle again) and as thet is not quite enough he sold me his last 1 litre bottle of 5/40 platinum (silver bottle) oil. Is it ok to mix the two as they are both synthetic and also is it ok to mix oil with different viscosities (if i spelled that right i will eat my own shoe).

Any advice on this oil dilema would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

can synthetic 5/30 and 5/40 be mixed? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yep, those will mix OK. Like people have said, the oil you end up with will be a blend in the ratio of the different oils. You'd probably be the only octy with 5w35 oil lol.

cheers guys. i have more 5/30 than 5/40 so would probably end up with 5/32 he he!

just wanted to be sure that the dealer had not sold me something that was not able to be mixed. i will be interested to see whether having anything less than a 5/40 makes any difference to the car as i have run her on 5/40 for 50k+ miles now

I'm doing gearbox oil change this fri and engine oil aswel and i'm gonna put motul 3000v in bit costly at £28 for two litres but dam good oil. No doubt some one will have a negative comment to make but the car gets driven hard and it tuned to its full potential by awesome ( standard internals and turbo but all the intercooler work and other bits are done)

I'm doing gearbox oil change this fri and engine oil aswel and i'm gonna put motul 3000v in bit costly at £28 for two litres but dam good oil. No doubt some one will have a negative comment to make but the car gets driven hard and it tuned to its full potential by awesome ( standard internals and turbo but all the intercooler work and other bits are done)

I was mentioning to my friend the otherday that I should really do this soon. When I told him, he said the person who serviced his gearbox said that if you put good quality oil in, then you should never need to change it? That can't be right, can it?

I'm only doing gearing oil coz I've had the car since it was 11months old ( 05reg) & never changed box oil. I do engine every year and plugs and fuel filter aswel. Box oil doesn't need changed as often.

What oil are people using in there VRs? Mine is due a service and just wondered what everyone is using. Oh its a 2003 model

If your car is standard ie 180bhp, then as others have allready said std VAG spec oil is fine.

However, for modified cars with higher than std power outputs the VAG oil specifications become inappropriate.

And for that reason I use Mobil 1 SHC 0w40, with OEM filters.....and change both the engine oil and filter every year even though the cars annual mileage is <450 miles.

Bill.

• Like 1

If your car is standard ie 180bhp, then as others have allready said std VAG spec oil is fine.

However, for modified cars with higher than std power outputs the VAG oil specifications become inappropriate.

And for that reason I use Mobil 1 SHC 0w40, with OEM filters.....and change both the engine oil and filter every year even though the cars annual mileage is <450 miles.

Bill.

Thanks bill the car is running 220bhp. I have found all the documentation i got with the car and star performance have done all the work on it and they have been using 5w/40 at services