Why do so many people knock Halfords?

Brimma

Good read this!!

Minimum staff numbers on basic wage, quite high prices on most items, open long hours, non training given which saves costs & they're surviving the recession just fine.

You also cannot expect the workers to know everything in their stores, they stock a hell of a lot of items.

Halfords will be here till end of day..... :)

Bless you brimma! I'll tell the bf, I'm sure he wanted some hammerite?.... Lol :)

Apologies if it caused any grief, Loz, some people seemed to not quite follow the intentions of it :S

Plus if you have access to a trade card, its pretty cheap too. :D

I keep meaning to knock up some semi-pro looking business cards, it seems that for mobile/self-employed mechanics their level of entry for the trade card system is pretty low...although bizarrely they don't seem to offer anything for detailers/valeters, even though I'm sure the bigger stores have quite a range of cleaning gear including Meguiars and "named" brands.

I wouldn't go there for detailing stuff or even semi-serious car cleaning/valeting products. Plus the Trade discount on those items is low/non-existant.

I do pick up some AG kit when the 3-for-2 or similar offers are on though.

I'll always have a look in Halfords but rarely buy unless it's an offer on detailing stuff. Too expensive for most things and consumables are normally cheaper at the dealer. Most Halfords differ from place to place. I have two within 10 miles. One is just a shop and will fit bulbs and wipers, the other is bigger and will fit wheels and even repair dings. Most of retail is staffed by part time workers or workers earning money to move on to bigger things. They will have some knowledge, things they've picked up on as they've gone along but don't expect dealer levels of knowledge. If you want that they go to the dealer! I'm guessing the ones who offer more tend to employ people who can do the jobs or at least show them quickly how it's done. Stuff like changing bulbs and wipers are easy jobs to do so are things you can learn on the job to do. I'd never use the service but I know plenty who aren't mechanically minded and can't do this or just don't have time.