lowering springs

seagull

i lowering the ride height of my Fabia Estate,its not for looks even though it is high like most new cars.The reason i want to lower the car is i tow a 500kg trailer which has an old fashioned hitch height which is not ideal with modern tow ball heights.If i can lower car 30-40mm then this will help to level out trailer and it wont tow particularly nose high.

My query is if i buy some Eibach springs for £140 that lower F 30MM R 20MM will i need new Dampers?I can get springs and dampers for £410 but this is obviously an expensive option.

I don't need a hard uncomfortable ride as my estate is no sports car i just don't know if the ride will be compromised by leaving OE dampers.My last car had 30mm lower springs fitted with OE dampers and it seemed ok until i hit a pot hole.

The reason i want to lower the car is i tow a 500kg trailer which has an old fashioned hitch height which is not ideal with modern tow ball heights.

emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif Sorry, I just had to ...... Brilliant emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Just going to state the obvious here.

Why not just buy a new trailer if its that old that the hight of tow bars/car's in general has changed, its got to be realy old.

Just going to state the obvious here.

Why not just buy a new trailer if its that old that the hight of tow bars/car's in general has changed, its got to be realy old.

Its a 2005 Riva Designer folding camper but the chassis design remained unchanged since the 80s the trailer is worth about £4k and even the later ones made in 2008 before company went bust also had same hitch height.

I could raise the trailer suspension but its a lot of work and would all be experimental.

Is there is a height adjustable coupling that is suitable for your towbar. Ones i,ve seen cost approx 70 gbp. Its got to be cheaper this way than to replace springs etc

Tow bar is a removable tow bar so as not to constantly upset the reversing sensors.I think its illegal to lower a hitch on anything other than land rovers transit vans etc where they have drop plates plates fitted.

Nothing is ever easy,i might just have to tow nose up.My old car was lowered and it was just very slightly nose up.Its just more likely to snake about if nose up although i know people who have towed 20ft caravans all over europe nose up without disaster.

i am lucky as i don't have to pay anything to get springs fitted so it will cost either £140 for just springs or £410 for springs and dampers.My main point is can i get away with lowering car 20-30mm without changing OE dampers or will it ride horrible on OE dampers?

I'd recommend getting uprated dampers... just because when I lowered my old estate MK1, it was rubbish when I loaded the boot with bigger wheels and spacers of course!!! :p

I'd recommend getting uprated dampers... just because when I lowered my old estate MK1, it was rubbish when I loaded the boot with bigger wheels and spacers of course!!! :p

cheers Leon well i can afford it,i am just being tight you know if i can get away with saving £250 on dampers that's money for a remap or i could look at it another way 4 x dampers equals just 4 tanks of diesel,now that selling it to me. :D

uhm yes you will need to do the dampers unless you like a very firmy, bouncy, crashy ride.

I had -30 Eibachs on my old Fab and whilst it looked nice, it hated any sort of bump and it let you know it!

uhm yes you will need to do the dampers unless you like a very firmy, bouncy, crashy ride.

I had -30 Eibachs on my old Fab and whilst it looked nice, it hated any sort of bump and it let you know it!

Cheers,

i had lowering springs on my last car but it was a hard ride before so it didn't seem any worse afterwards but i like the comfy feel of the Fabia.

I will just bite the bullet and buy a complete suspension kit i can get Weitec -35mm for £400 jobs a good'un.

i don't want a low rider,i have read somewhere about needing camber kits if its too low.The problem is most kits seem to be -35mm or 40mm i don't to go much lower than 30mm to be honest,i will just keep my options open.

I am not lowering my car to be a track car and i like my back as it is so wouldn't want coil overs.

The lowering is for towing and also if i gain a little more stability in the process then its all good,i just don't want hard crashy ride.

Edited by seagull