Need more coats of wax, but...

nockmeister

Bit of a dumbass question, now they have started to salt the roads around my way in ernest, I would like to get more layers of wax on the car. Is it just a case of washing then applying the wax...or do I have to strip off what is already on, claybar and build it up??

the wax is last stage protection so there to protect your paint work, how long ago did you wax your car?

if only recently then i would use a non stripping shampoo when washing your car, then dry and apply wax

no need to strip current wax off unless you want polish?

Because of the solvents in a lot of waxes, layering is pretty pointless, when applying the a new layer, the layer underneath is almost destroyed by these solvents that remain. Try rubbing collinite 476s over a tar spot. It will remove it due to the solvents in it. So really there is only so much of these particular waxes you can get onto your paintwork. Sealants are different, Like the zaino Z2 which you can buy the ZFX for. But a wax like 476s won't layer very well at all. I double coat it to make sure I have an even layer over the whole car, but layering over the top of that would hold no more benefit protection wise.

Like everything though, put 3 or 4 laters on one side of your bonet and just a couple of coats on the other and see if the more layers offer longer beading. It didn't when I did it to test the theory with my FK 1000p. But if it does for you, let us know, always interesting to read these tests.

Depending on how long ago you waxed, if a few weeks then just pop another layer on top, if a couple of months, clense it first

HTH

Neil

To be honest mate, I wouldn't put anything over Z2, a few layers of Z2 flash cured with zfx and z6 layered in between is extremely durable and gives an great glossy finish on correctly prepped paintwork! Collinite won't add anything to the finish or durability. Personally for me (and car products are very personal, so disregard if you don't agree) Cleanse and re-apply the Z2 with ZFX if possible, 2 or 3 layers will see you through a good few months! It's upto you buddy, with what you've done, if you just wanted to pop a layer of 476s on it then that would do a job, depends how much time you want to spend on it

Yeah I was ****ed when I found out about curing Z2, the shop I bought it from never mentioned it would be beneficial to cure..only found out after I'd applied the Colli..I think ur right Hunty, I'll just apply another coat of Colli, then in spring strip it all off and reapply Z2+ZFX.. Thanks for the replies

If you have Z2 on your paintwork then layering this with the additional Z6, as stated by Hunty278, will give you plenty of durability.

If you feel the need for something else then your missing the best Zaino product in their range in my opinion and that is Zaino Z8, this acts as a quick wipedown top up sealant and is marketed in the USA as 'Bling in a bottle', great smell, nice beading and a personal favourite of mine........ :thumbup:

If you have Z2 on your paintwork then layering this with the additional Z6, as stated by Hunty278, will give you plenty of durability.

If you feel the need for something else then your missing the best Zaino product in their range in my opinion and that is Zaino Z8, this acts as a quick wipedown top up sealant and is marketed in the USA as 'Bling in a bottle', great smell, nice beading and a personal favourite of mine........ :thumbup:

Amen to that. You converted me to it, most fantastic product of ever!

The solvents in collinite are there to keep the protection wet and allow it to be applied to the paint. It has been disscussed all over the internet, and I'm sure it doesn't need discussing again. Those solvents will undoubtedly re-disolve the wax, therefore that is why not many people bother and collinite also state that there is no need to layer on their FAQ's.

Each to their own though, I'm not a scientist. But that is how it was described to me by Mr Megane off the cyc forum and he is one.

I've really got to get some Z8, never heard a bad word said about it, but heard plenty of recommendations for it! Must use my FK 425 polywipe first though.

regards,

Neil

Edited by Hunty278