140 manual v 140 DSG v 170 v Qashqai 1.6 dci

Sweens

After a long decision making process, I have finally made it!

I pondered over various competitors before narrowing it down to either a Yeti or (boo, hiss) a qashqai. I had heard good things about the new 1.6 dci in the Nissan so that was my first test of the weekend. Followed swiftly by a 170 Yeti, then a 140 DSG and, finally, a 140 manual. All 4x4's.

The qashqai felt like a good engine. Pulled nicely on the motorway without having to change down and was much more refined than I expected. But I wasn't sure about the interior. The gear box had quite a long throw and was a bit clunky. The handbrake was on the wrong side, next to the passenger seat, which drives me mad. And the quality of fit didn't feel up to yeti standards.

So, it was straight on to the yeti's. The 170 diesel was first. By comparison, the engine felt so smooth and quiet,mwith much more effortless performance. The gear change felt infinitely better. The look and feel of the interior felt a class above. The only aspect which I felt the Nissan bettered the Skoda was the seat comfort. Not that the Yeti sets are uncomfortable- far from it- but the Nissan had the squishiness factor just right. I know, it's a technical term. But that comfort was compromised on the move. The suspension felt too soft and I much preferred the slightly firmer ride of the yeti.

I was keen to try and find an ex-demo if possible, rather than sit out the huge waiting times. So I went to another dealer who had a 140 DSG available. I loved the drive, was very impressed by the DSG box which was very smooth-changing. But it didn't have satnav, which I really prefer built in. I inquired as to how much it would cost to retro fit a Columbus and was told £2800!!!! :wonder:

I thought I was going to have to reconsider the qashqai.. :o .

Then I found another ex-demo which did have the Amundsen satnav and was a 140 4x4. I liked that car too. I had the same engine previously in a golf estate and I already know how good the vag diesels have become. Having driven the 3 different cars, I can honestly say that all the engines and transmissions felt excellent. I was about to do the deal on that one, when one of the other dealers rang me and told me he had a 170 elegance 4x4 with sunroof and satnav. it seems it was worthwhile hassling various dealerships after all!

And that was it. Deal done and collecting it next Wednesday. Delighted to be joining the ranks of Yeti owners at last, and I'm looking forward to discovering it's hidden delights as I go on.

All credit to the contributors in here, that helped make my mind up. Even when the Nissan dealer offered me a lot more for my car in part exchange! :rofl:

When you drive other, perfectly good intheir own way, cars you realise what a super engine the 170 diesel is, and what a refined car overall the Yetis is, especially with the Elegance spec. I've never regretted my choice for a moment (except that I should have been brave and gone for a white one: my wife has a white car now and yes, it does get dirty but it doesn't look too bad and I love washing it and seeing it gleam again!).

You are very lucky that now you can test drive all these different engine combinations to help make your mind up. A year or 18 months ago you simply could not get many versions of the Yeti to test drive and had to buy in faith! (I test drove a manual 140 and never drove a DSG 140 until the day I picked mine up!) To have driven them all so close to each other must be very handy these days to help you decide. You got a lovely car indeed. Steel Grey and sunroof! Very good. If only once could get a 170 DSG... This is my first automatic car and TBH I will never ever be without that. The Yeti is already and effortless car to drive but the DSG just makes it a piece of cake going anywhere - closeby or far. :giggle:

Enjoy the car once it arrives.

Thanks guys. I agree 100%, Johann. A 170 DSG would be perfect. If I could have found a 140 DSG with sunroof and satnav I would have gone for that. And if I'd had a DSG previously, I can imagine I would be equally reluctant to go back to a manual. Luckily, my left foot doesn't know what a quiet life it could have!

Now to add all the other bits and pieces. Roof bars, tow bar...

Think I'd better get reading through all the old threads... :D

Thanks guys. I agree 100%, Johann. A 170 DSG would be perfect. If I could have found a 140 DSG with sunroof and satnav I would have gone for that. And if I'd had a DSG previously, I can imagine I would be equally reluctant to go back to a manual. Luckily, my left foot doesn't know what a quiet life it could have!

Now to add all the other bits and pieces. Roof bars, tow bar...

Think I'd better get reading through all the old threads... :D

But then whilst they are at it maybe I'd prefer a 314 DSG five cylinder in my Yeti? Oh YES!

As to the old threads don't use the useless search function on the forum. Just use Google itself by typing this in the search window:

site: briskoda.net YOUR SEARCH

Then click on the blue link under the first hit that says something like "show only results from Briskoda.net" and voila you have ONLY the threads from here. Obvisously include the word Yeti if you only want say Yeti towbar results and not the whole forum's towbar results. :giggle:

After a long decision making process, I have finally made it!

I was about to do the deal on that one, when one of the other dealers rang me and told me he had a 170 elegance 4x4 with sunroof and satnav. it seems it was worthwhile hassling various dealerships after all!

And that was it. Deal done and collecting it next Wednesday. Delighted to be joining the ranks of Yeti owners at last, and I'm looking forward to discovering it's hidden delights as I go on.

I'm only just back on the forum after a long time away doing more boring things (!), but couldn't help noticing your post as I've had my 170TDi Yeti for 5000 hard-driven miles and everything I have to say is complimentary:-

- It got us to the Alps in *ahem* record time and that's even compared with some of the fast Subarus and Audis I've owned before. Even though I can now confirm its offical top speed, it still did 36mpg out, and 42mpg back when I was being a lot more sensible!

- Very comfortable on all roads

- Great visibility and practicality given its modest size.

- Hill descent works really well through the off-road button.

- Phone bluetooths well to the Columbus Sat Nav (which is sometime a bit slow starting up but pretty good)

- Short geared in 1st & 2nd for obvious off road reasons - this is good if you are quick with the gearbox.

- Really good clutch, brakes, steering, limited roll.

- Easy going to drive. My other half is an automatic addict and even she enjoys driving it.

Great car and I think the extra 30ish bhp and torque does make a good car that little bit better

Enjoy !

Fabpreza, that's just what I wanted to hear. I'm glad you're enjoying your yeti.

Dr Zoidberg, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the qashqai from your short list if it fits your requirements. The 1.6 engine is great on paper and surprisingly powerful on the road for its size. Fact is I just preferred the drive, ride and feel of the yeti. Driven back to back, the yeti was much nicer to drive and was far more responsive. The superior 4x4 capability was another factor which helped to make my mind up.

I would say, though, that the all round monitors on the qashqai were brilliant. But, for me, it had to be the yeti!

Only 5 days to go and it's a bit snowy up here in Derbyshire! Gulp...

It would be a company car for me and it has to be a 2wd diesel.

That means a choice between a yeti greenline with the 1.6 and limited toys or an expensive to run 110bhp 2.0, or the Nissan with a much better 1.6 and all the toys.

It would be a company car for me and it has to be a 2wd diesel.

That means a choice between a yeti greenline with the 1.6 and limited toys or an expensive to run 110bhp 2.0, or the Nissan with a much better 1.6 and all the toys.

That 1.6 Renault diesel seems to be getting good reviews. Wonder if VAG will respond with a higher-tuned 1.6 diesel?

A 6sp (or 7sp DSG) box might be beneficial too...

That 1.6 Renault diesel seems to be getting good reviews. Wonder if VAG will respond with a higher-tuned 1.6 diesel?

A 6sp (or 7sp DSG) box might be beneficial too...

Things are moving pretty quickly in terms of engine design and efficiency at the mo, and VW's 105bhp 1.6 is already lagging behind the competition.

I'd say it's quite likely there will be an improved version soon. Scaling down the output from the cr170 would give you about 135 BHP from a 1.6.

When i bought my bravo two and a half years ago it was pretty much the biggest and quickest car that qualified for £35 road tax and now Hyundai do a 1.7 with 135 BHP that's only producing 119 carbons in an Octavia sized car.

It would be a company car for me and it has to be a 2wd diesel. That means a choice between a yeti greenline with the 1.6 and limited toys or an expensive to run 110bhp 2.0, or the Nissan with a much better 1.6 and all the toys.

Not sure I'd agree with the limited Toys. The Yeti Greenline in Elegance spec is well loaded! Infact it's better loaded than my 09 Ford Titanuim Mondeo.

As for the engine, it's a cracking little unit.

For the Price you might struggle to get the same spec from the Nissan.

I've just priced up a similar spec'd Nissan and it's more expensive than the same spec'd Yeti Greenline in Elegance, admittently you do get some extra tech such as parking cameras, sat nav.

1.6dCi 2wd + Start/Stop system 5dr hatchback Tekna Spec £24,345.00

Met Paint £495.00

Interior Matts £41.00

removable Towbar £535.00

The end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice

I've just priced up a similar spec'd Nissan and it's more expensive than the same spec'd Yeti Greenline in Elegance, admittently you do get some extra tech such as parking cameras, sat nav.

The end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice

I've seen videos on these parking cameras on Nissans and BMWs and they look impressive but to be honest you still need to park the car yourself. If I had the choice between a fancy camera (that only works whilst you are looking at a low down screen on your dash!) and the Park Assist on my Yeti I'd chose the latter 100 times over. The car parks itself into a spot that only needs be 500mm bigger than the car (in the Yeti's case - not sure about the Superb). All this happens as you are looking around as normal and you can hear the beeps and if you want you can look at the PDS display on the radio but you don't have to. Try doing that with the fancy camera system on a Nissan!