Heater problems

My 58 plate Superb 170 elegance, has developed a problem with the heating, I have raised this before but no one had anything to offer so trying again.

When you set of it warms up normally if you were to drive on a straight road once warm then fine but the moment you turn a corner the heating goes and a cold draught blows around the lower part of the car.

Now this is winter it is becoming a problem.

Can any one help as the car is not drivable in this weather, the heat does not return to the heating, but does warm up slightly after going round an opposite way bend.

SNOBemoticon-0183-swear.gifemoticon-0120-doh.gif

This has been a problem with all the skodas I've had, my 06 Fabia vrs heater goes cold when I hit a roundabout or corner and my 11 plate superb estate 170 4x4 elegance also blaster. When you turn you get a blast of cold air from the centre consel. Just thought it was a VAG issue as it also happened with my Octavia estate and golf gti.

A cold draft when cornering in colder weather is something I have noticed in most of the cars I have owned over the years that have had air conditioning. It usually only happens for a very short while and then settles down again. Right or wrong, I put it down to the fact that cold air is heavier than hot air and the movement of the car when cornering displaces some cold air down into the foot well.

Neither my current Superb or previous Octy (both Elegance trim and bought new) have ever done this. Have you had any work done - if so, what? Sounds like an air lock in the heater matrix could be a possibility, although you might get a little associated noise too. What happens in the rear at the time - does that go cold as well?

Ray

Hello,

As far as I am aware the back does not suffer it is very hard to actually tell where it is coming from although I agree it feels like he centre console.

I have suggested the airlock thing but not had it checked out yet.

The heating does not recover from the cold event.

I will mention it to the garage I have heard it that two other cars have the same problem.

Keep up the good work.

SNOB

Neither my current Superb or previous Octy (both Elegance trim and bought new) have ever done this. Have you had any work done - if so, what? Sounds like an air lock in the heater matrix could be a possibility, although you might get a little associated noise too. What happens in the rear at the time - does that go cold as well?

Ray

I have a similar problem with my Superb but it did not happen on my VRS

You start off and set the temp to say 23oC, it gets nice and warm then the heat output drops. If you turn the temp up heat comes out of the vents straight away but then goes cool again.

It seems to me that the temp sensor in the car is reading too low i.e. it thinks the temp is higher than it actually is and so turns the heat output down on the climate control.

I have not got the 'Auto' function turned on and I have not taken it to my dealer yet.

Can not comment on going round corner as my trips are all on motorway

• 1 month later...

Simple answer: when the warm air is being blown to the screen and window/face vents, the air in the footwells stays cold.

Look at air as a fluid sitting in the footwells. When cornering, the colder dense air will 'slosh' over the center console and can be felt as a cold draught. Putting hot air on just the footwells for a minute or two will sort it out quickly.

If you had a FLIR camera, you'd see the top half of the car is warm and the footwells would be a cold blue colour.

• Like 1