Diesel Scout or Superb 4X4

I'm in a bit of a quandary, it's time to let my trusted Octy go and perhaps more grudgingly my Fab to fund a 4x4. I presumed I'd go for the Scout, the natural progression from my standard Octavia but checking nationally for used two to three year olds I keep finding Superb 4x4 CR's similar or cheaper than than even a PD Scout. Even on sites like Autobid a new standard Superb 140 4x4 is similar priced to the scout with just a couple of added options.

I've had the Octy over 5 years and would keep my next motor for at least that. I want 4x4 primarily for towing my van on small grassed caravan sites and rallies on farm fields so don't need a pucker 4x4 just the added traction especially on wet/sodden rough grass.

I know I should be looking at whole life costs but my head has been turned by the Superb and it's bells and whistles. There's a dealer sale Superb 170 Elegance 4x4, low miles 59 plate up for 16K, I can't find a Scout for that. I would be trading in the Octy and either trade or private sale the Fab. My wife would occasionally need to drive and would miss the ease of driving the Fab.

My question is, which would be the better choice from the towing generally perspective and on grass in particular. I've posted this on the Superb forum aswell.

I'd be going Scout, I love the looks and the feedback on them is good as is that on the Superb but the Scout is larger than I need and the Superb even more so.

In reference to your grip question, yes 4WD or AWD does help but most of it is down to the tyres and the driving.

I'd assume that with the Superb being a larger/heavier car it would be the better choice for towing?

Call me vain but the big attraction to the Scout for me was it's jacked-up, rugged, off-road looks. This is what is keeping prices of the Scout high - people like me :giggle:

Don't get me wrong, I too would be torn between the two in your situation, if the CR170 4x4 Superb returned similar MPG to a CR140 Scout then it would be the extra toys and rear seat space on the Superb that would win I think.

Are you looking at an estate Superb or a hatch as hatchs tend to be cheaper than estates and the scout is estate only.

Scout will probably have a slightly stiffer rear suspension than the Superb ( better for towing) but the superb may have a higher towing rating (but lower nose weight?).

Shouldn't think the running costs would be much different between them

Are you looking at an estate Superb or a hatch as hatchs tend to be cheaper than estates and the scout is estate only.

Scout will probably have a slightly stiffer rear suspension than the Superb ( better for towing) but the superb may have a higher towing rating (but lower nose weight?).

Shouldn't think the running costs would be much different between them

Thanks, I'd prefer estate, ive got the hatchback and would love the extra room of the Scout, when it comes to the Superb, again Id prefer the estate but if a good priced hatch came along I'd still jump for it. I just never thought the Superb 4x4 would ever had been an option for me.

The Scout has stiffer rear suspension than the basic Octavia 4x4 so won't sag as much when towing.

The Superb has a slightly higher noseweight limit so will give you a bit more flexibility in loading your caravan. I think you can get a self levelling option on the Superb but you'd probably have to buy brand new to be able to get this option.

My diesel Scout tows my 1275kg van OK but I wouldn't want to tow anything much bigger with it as it does get buffeted about by cross winds a bit.

To confuse the issue - the Superb Scout is looking more likely.

See http://www.caradvice.com.au/157948/skoda-superb-scout-winter-spy-shots/

If this is available with the CR170 engine would be very attractive. The Passat Alltrack is also due out in April, so perhaps Skoda will only get the CR140. Also the Superb is due a facelift, so perhaps it will look even better than this.

Scout holds it's money tighter than an Aberdonian banker.

Superb will probably be the better car to be in but the Scout will likely be worth more when you come to sell it.

Depends on your priorities I suppose. Best drive them both too. That might change your opinion.