DAB?

I know this sounds really stupid.

I have owned my new Elegance Fabia with Bluetooth.

I was wondering if the radio is DAB. I have looked everywhere and confused lol!!

I can see what music is playing and everything so I presume that it is ;)

Analogue radio is going nowhere until at least 2019, the date has already slipped from 2015.

UK DAB is rubbish and incompatible with whats being rolled out through the rest of Europe. Our DAB system is based on 1980's MP2 encoding technology, whereas the rest of the EU are deploying DAB+ which us based on 21st century AAC encoding which offers much better sound quality than our system.

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/analogue-radio-switch-off-not-until-2019-511322

Sales of DAB radios are falling, whereas sales of analogue radios are still increasing.

Currently in the UK Skoda do not have any DAB compatible radios, partly due to the differing EU standard as its more expensive to make a headunit for here due to supply / demand. VW have one, but its available in the top range models only. Audi UK don't fit any either currently, neither do Seat UK I believe. All VAG marques have DAB options for european sold cars.

I wonder in the future, when the DAB start date gets a-lot closer, there will be a gadget to attach to existing radio / aerial (abit like 'Freeview in essence) to overcome changing the radio??emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

I wonder in the future, when the DAB start date gets a-lot closer, there will be a gadget to attach to existing radio / aerial (abit like 'Freeview in essence) to overcome changing the radio??emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

What you mean like the Pure Highway? :)

Only been out about 4 years or so emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

When I went to the US in 2009, we hired a Chrysler 300C and it had Satellite radio.

It's big in the States and it is absolutely fantastic ! Hundreds of stations but put into categories for navigation. Spot on emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Got a couple of Pures at home and the last one we bought is DAB+ but I guess if UK dont broadcast that signal its pointless. At least it will work i europe if I take it on holiay i suppose...

Would love to see working DAB or DAB+ in UK cars in general as on my fixed radios its a lot better than standard FM.

I think internet radio is the way forward. It might be possible to recieve if you have a mobile phone signal with internet connection.

I've done this before. A couple of stations I like but not in my current area. Connect the phone up via bluetooth, set it to the station and off you go. Limitations though are your signal strength and the data package you have on your phone.

Not looked into it but are they really still looking at killing off analogue radio? How many cars are currently fitted as standard with DAB. And how many even have it as an option? Just read some of the earlier posts which pretty much answer this, doh!

I foolishly brought my British DAB radio to Germany when I moved here 4 years ago.

At first I could only get a handful of crap stations on it. Now things have improved - I can't get any now!

Thats because Germany have switched to DAB+, so as you have found out UK DAB does not work. The same will happen in the future if we continue with DAB, take your car abroad into the EU and you will not be able to listen to the radio as ours will not be able to decode what the rest of the EU is using.

Educate me here please.

What's the difference in FM radio signals my car radio receives to that of a DAB radio signal.??

Thanks.

DAB and FM/AM compared

Traditionally radio programmes were broadcast on different frequencies via FM and AM, and the radio had to be tuned into each frequency, as needed. This used up a comparatively large amount of spectrum for a relatively small number of stations, limiting listening choice. DAB is a digital radio broadcasting system that through the application of multiplexing and compression combines multiple audio streams onto a relatively narrow band centred on a single broadcast frequency called a DAB ensemble.

Within an overall target bit rate for the DAB ensemble, individual stations can be allocated different bit rates. The number of channels within a DAB ensemble can be increased by lowering average bit rates, but at the expense of the quality of streams. Error correction under the DAB standard makes the signal more robust but reduces the total bit rate available for streams.

Thanks for that info '32KOFDATA' (I got a little lost with the jargon) but none the less was very informative.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I'll have a word with my grandson to elaborate further what you have stated, - in 60+ years language. LOLemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Thanks for that info '32KOFDATA' (I got a little lost with the jargon) but none the less was very informative.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I'll have a word with my grandson to elaborate further what you have stated in 60+ years language. LOLemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Wiki my friend - don't think that I know what the hell that means BUT from what I understand is that based on the quality/compression (same thing like mp3s for example) you can have more stations than the analogue FM system thus more stations plus it allows further info (data) to be transmitted than the typical RDS text.

Whats weird is if you have the touchscreen sat-nav installed when you hear a song played on the radio you like if you press the little "i" button the name of the song and artist come up on the screen, is this not DAB?

Whats weird is if you have the touchscreen sat-nav installed when you hear a song played on the radio you like if you press the little "i" button the name of the song and artist come up on the screen, is this not DAB?

nah mate totaly different

No, that's RDS (Radio Data Service). Small amounts of data are embedded in the FM signal.