Octavia vRS - just a boring sensible family car...

I have to say, the one thing i dont like is the brakes in the wet, if been driving for a while say down motorway and its raining hard, first time go to use the brakes takes a second or two to kick in, its a fright the first time it happens... maybe need to upgrade to grooved disks or something?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be the only one slightly underwhelmed by the whole vrs things so then. There's a lot to like for sure but it's a bit short on fun to be fair.

I guess it depends on the driving you get to do most days. I have to admit that there isn't a mad thrill of excitement on my daily run, the car basically does its thing and driving is easy. It isn't the same experience as something like the MINI I ran for 6 years. Even driving normally I loved the feel of that thing, mainly the quick steering and instant direction changes. I think maybe playing around with the suspension setup and maybe a little exhaust work will add a little character to the car perhaps. I have driven the CR vRS and it is quick, but don't know if it is the same drive as the TFSI which can rev a little higher.

One thing I keep getting unclean thoughts every time I see a Golf GTI, too small a boot for our main car though :(

I have to say, the one thing i dont like is the brakes in the wet, if been driving for a while say down motorway and its raining hard, first time go to use the brakes takes a second or two to kick in, its a fright the first time it happens... maybe need to upgrade to grooved disks or something?

I think this may be just due to the discs being wet after a while. It takes a second or so to clear them fully in most cars. Not sure if running grooves will improve it as water will still sit on most of the disc surface until you use them, but maybe worth a shot if it gives the water an easy escape route. Common advice is to apply the brakes gently every now and then to clear them, but I don't know anyone who follows that advice.

I have used the EBC Ultimax discs before, and was pretty happy with them, but loads of choice out there and plenty of experienced heads to ask too.

I must be the only one slightly underwhelmed by the whole vrs things so then. There's a lot to like for sure but it's a bit short on fun to be fair.

Yes but you are an OLD fart that toodles up and down the motorway emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Where are these twisty lanes :giggle:

Yeah Diesel is good on juice 50 odd mpg :thumbup:

Well this was only on the Roundwood road out of Kilmacanogue, but I need to take a run to Wicklow/Sally Gap for a real test ;)

50mpg...not a hope for me! 50gpm would be closer :)

Yes but you are an OLD fart that toodles up and down the motorway emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Er...guessing you lads might know each other right? :)

HAHA OLD?? whats the saying, kettle... pot ... :rofl:

Er...guessing you lads might know each other right? :)

Yeah unfortunately :giggle: we have our own little Skoda Club :rofl:

Good stuff Thanks for that,

Do you find it stiffend up the ride or make it a bit more uncomfortable in any way?

The ride is far more comfortable IMHO. However please near in mind I drove a Leon FR for 108,000 miles with no issues even when most drivers report losing their rectum on the road after 20 miles.

I'll ban you in that other place for that. Plus youve got at least 60 years on me:p

Hi Dallan!

But being serious, it's a competent car but that doesn't quite cut it. Although I don't think it was ever meant to be as driver focused as a GTI/ST/RS Megane. I just find it leaves me a bit cold.

The ride is far more comfortable IMHO. However please near in mind I drove a Leon FR for 108,000 miles with no issues even when most drivers report losing their rectum on the road after 20 miles.

So there's a health and safety hint boys and girls...if you like a good stiff ride take the correct precautions to avoid losing valuable portions of your anatomy.

But being serious, it's a competent car but that doesn't quite cut it. Although I don't think it was ever meant to be as driver focused as a GTI/ST/RS Megane. I just find it leaves me a bit cold.

Erm...actually I noticed that as well, more so now than when I first got it. However a mate showed me how to adjust the air-con, and now it's much better!

Loving my black 2010 DSG TSI VRS Hatch. Had it 2 months now and it puts a smile on my face everytime I hit the loud pedal, which is at least once a day !!!

Loving my black 2010 DSG TSI VRS Hatch. Had it 2 months now and it puts a smile on my face everytime I hit the loud pedal, which is at least once a day !!!

Get it remapped and then see how big your smile is. It's like night and day.

diesel thats why

I felt the same about the petrol! Even moreso after trying other cars with that engine. Diesel is a necessary evil for me now I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, on the whole I love my car, but a vrs is not the choice for real fun. And like I said, I dont think it was aimed as a direct competitor to true hot hatches. But things can be improved on easily...Even if it still looks like a bus!

Try a petrol one!

Try a petrol one!

You should of probably read the previous post.

I agee the vRS is never going to give the same driving thrill as a Mini Cooper S or possibly a Golf GTI but both of these are compromised in other ways. The vRS is the best all rounder within hot hatch category IMO.

I would however say that a standard diesel compared to a remapped petrol are worlds apart so actually, for me, there is still actually quite a thrill with my vRS.

I guess everyone on this forum and outside have their own reasons for buying whatever version of Skoda, vRS or not. Same as every other forum where what you have is the best of course and in many cases other cars all suck...until you change car of course!

I doubt anyone bought their vRS because it was the ultimate hot hatch...or because it could outrun a GT-R...or because it was "dead sexy like"...

It may well be about the most practical family car out there that still has some grunt and driving thrills included. I wanted a GTI or an ST, or to upgrade to a Cooper S, but huge boot space is useful occasionally and when family is involved you have to go for the best all-round compromise. Plus I don't have the cash for an S6 Estate or similar.

Some of the Skoda promotional blurb is a bit cringeworthy, with dads wearing race helmets etc etc, but I think hey have nailed a very good niche with the Octavia vRS, more so than with the Fabia I think.

I reckon my Top 10 Unlimited Budget garage would probably not contain my Octavia, but until I win the Euromillions it is staying :)

I felt the same about the petrol! Even moreso after trying other cars with that engine. Diesel is a necessary evil for me now I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, on the whole I love my car, but a vrs is not the choice for real fun. And like I said, I dont think it was aimed as a direct competitor to true hot hatches. But things can be improved on easily...Even if it still looks like a bus!

so true,my petrol vrs is running 238bhp and in a straight line its very good but show it some good b roads and its far from good on the limit in standard form, like you say it is not a real hot hatch but with 2 teenage kids,space is more important to me now.Dont get me wrong I also like my car a lot even if it looks and at times handles like a bus LOL.I think the whole car is set up to be a family car with a bit of proformance and not a hot hatch when they leave the factory.

/\ Agree with the above. It's great for a pretty quick family car (once it has had a few subtle mods!) that performs all it's duties well. Not so sure I would buy one if I didn't have young kids though. Thing is there isn't much out there that does what the VRS does without spending quite a bit more money and compromising on the practicality of a hatchback. It looks sporty but isn't in your face and most people didmiss it because of the badge. This means insurance is reasonable and i'm not worried where I park it.

mine makes me smile every time i drive it..:D.. i think it also depends what you have owned or driven before. for me my vrs us the most powerful and quickest car i have driven or owned... so can't compare to any others:D

Sent from my phone....

Edited by rustyGT