Advice needed - am I being ungrateful?

Zmithy

No idea what else the problem could be. Anything to do with the gasket or the vacuum control box?

Will do some more forum searching

Also, how much would this be affecting my mpg? As much as getting an average of 48ish?

Had a few friends and a local garage look at the EGR and in their opinion it doesn't look new

Attempted to book it in at a local(er) skoda garage and they want £35 just to look at it!

even tried a local motor factor to look at a brand new one to see what one would look like but non currently available.

Booked it back at Rainworth for Wednesday much to my dismay.. Let's hope they get it right and give me a map to the best of their abilities.

So much for my day off wednesday cleaning the car!

DELETED - unfortunately this website isn't working for me in either Firefox 10.0.1 or Chrome so I've had to resort to Internet Explorer - refer next posting

Edited by DRJ

Trying again - since Edit isn't working either

"Quote" doesn't seem to be working - I'm replying to Zmithy's comment:

"Had a few friends and a local garage look at the EGR and in their opinion it doesn't look new"

One "trick" I've used in the past, partly out of interest and partly to check what's going on, is to ask for the removed part to be put in a box in the boot. Then you can see what condition it's in. Of course that still wouldn't (i) prevent a second-hand part being put on or (ii) a second-hand part being put straight in the boot - but it's a potential check that they're doing it correctly.

Edited by DRJ

That's potentially worth trying, but as you say they could just throw summit in there.

Asked about the map and he said he'd write it on the card for the mechanics to look at, that's a no then.

Been told that when it's ready they'll send someone to pick me up on thurs/fri.

Zmithy

Re the EGR warning light.....have you checked to see if the modified 9mm gasket has been fitted by the previous owner ???

The reason why I ask is my son's 2006 vRS ran fine with the modified 9mm gasket (ie no more BLT stutter), but the wifes 2007 vRS SE kept putting on the EGR warning light.

Since refitting the old gasket to the SE (5 months ago) the EGR light has remained off.

Bill.

Would have a look myself, but I don't want to invalidate my warranty in any way. I'd of thougt a skoda garage would have checked the gasket!

Its easy to check and you dont need to undo/unbolt anything at all.

When the engine is COLD, If you remove the plastic engine cover then follow the exhaust gas feed pipe down from the EGR valve towards the exhaust manifold you will come accross a flange held together by two allen bolts. If you run your finger around the joint between the two flages and cannot feel two half round lugs sticking out of the joint (one lug at each side of the flange but at opposite ends of the flange, next to the allen bolts), then you have an original gasket fitted, if you can feel the lugs then you have a modified 9mm gasket fitted.

HTH

Bill.

Its easy to check and you dont need to undo/unbolt anything at all.

When the engine is COLD, If you remove the plastic engine cover then follow the exhaust gas feed pipe down from the EGR valve towards the exhaust manifold you will come accross a flange held together by two allen bolts. If you run your finger around the joint between the two flages and cannot feel two half round lugs sticking out of the joint (one lug at each side of the flange but at oppoKsite ends of the flange, next to the allen bolts), then you have an original gasket fitted, if you can feel the lugs then you have a modified 9mm gasket fitted.

HTH

Bill.

Brilliant advice, I'll check after work tonight, as said before, thought a skoda garage would of checked this.

No it's possibly that new gasket, some needed drilling out to 12mm I think to prevent the egr logging a lack of air flow!

I'd do as joshh has suggested or simply replace the 9mm gasket with a std/original one, they are only a couple of quid from Skoda or you can get them via TPS if you dont want Skoda to know you have been changing parts. ( For info: Skoda wont sell the modified 9mm gasket anymore because of its effect on exhaust emissions).

But which ever of the above you decide do, afterwards you may find that without VAG COM to reset the warning light it takes between 50 - 100 miles and several key on off cycles before the warning light goes out.

One other thing I'd check is that the previous owner has'nt blocked off the vacuum feed pipe by inserting something inside the pipe to keep the EGR valve in the closed position ???

Bill.

If it was me I'd not be attempting to do anything myself.

They sold you a car.

That car has a fault.

They need to fix that fault.

They've tried.

They've failed.

They need to try again.

It's too far for you to keep popping in.

You can't be without a car.

I'd be preparing to dump the car on them and demand a courtesy car until they'd fixed the fault.

If it was me I'd not be attempting to do anything myself.

They sold you a car.

That car has a fault.

They need to fix that fault.

They've tried.

They've failed.

They need to try again.

It's too far for you to keep popping in.

You can't be without a car.

I'd be preparing to dump the car on them and demand a courtesy car until they'd fixed the fault.

Ive left it with them, told the guy who I booked it In with about the map. And he says the guy who deals with that is in Monday. But I'll be picking it up friday. Typical.

Would the EGR fault be why I'm getting an average of 45mpg with the engine temp on the dash taking a while to warm up?

Zmithy

In short, probably not. It's 200KG of iron and it's running on diesel (which is more efficient). IMO for journeys of less than 15 miles from a cold start, 45 is OK.

J.

Update

Apparantly last time they changed the control unit, when they had told me they changed the EGR.

The changed the EGR yesterday and a few other things Apparantly, service manager took it for a drive was fine for 15 miles, turned it off got out locked it got back in and the light was back upon turnover.

Leaving it with them even further for them to sort it,

Been told that I can have a FREE map 4 weeks after driving it without the light reappearing.

Looks like I'm walking to work!

Zmithy