I'm back and with proof life is stranger than fiction!

Avalon

Well I figured my Skoda owning days were behind me when a Polish guy 3x the drink drive limit and no insurance wrote off my parked Octavia II DSG 1.9 in October but i'm back!

Since then we've replaced the Octy with an PD130 A4 with multitronic gearbox (right engine, wrong gearbox), that lasted 36 hours and 100 miles before giving up in DVLA's car park with gearbox failure so it was rejected under the SOGA much to the dealers displeasure. Vorsprung durch technik my arse. The same morning that happened some kind person stole the hard top from my roadster so that went off to an insurance approved repair place for safe storage.

We replaced the A4 with an 06 Seat Leon Sport DSG 2.0 PD140 (BKD lump so no dodgy oil pump) that suffered the usual Teves MK60 ABS failure within 24 hours, oh how I laughed when the dealer tried to tell me it was unusual. Eventually just before Christmas I get my roadster back (insurance approved repairer hadn't paid the bill so Merc sat with the parts in MK for 6 weeks) and the Leon sorted (dealer hadn't paid it's bill to the Seat franchised dealer in the same group!). January passed without major car trauma, I had police issue window films fitted for security to reduce the chances of my hard top being nicked again and I figured the worst was behind me. Sadly it quite literally was, last week when my roadster's engine let go coming down the A1. I have DTC reading kit for my phone and C2/3 were reading misfires and it'd clearly lost compression, it was terminal.

So as funds are tight (we're getting married on the 29th of Feb so at least i'll save a few quid on anniversary presents for 3 years :D ) I find myself the soon to be proud owner of a red Y reg 1.4 8v furby who with only looking at one photo my 3 year old daughter named 'Simples', it's a Classic so she's not far off. It's one elderly owner had it serviced annually as he did the grand total of 2k a year in it, it's obviously far from exciting but it's hopefully going to be cheap to run, undesirable to scum and should put a stop to the haemorrhaging of money on cars/insurance excess' etc.

So there you have it, life is stranger than fiction, now you've all had a good laugh at my tale of car woes who wants to place a bet on how this one will go and when... I've not been hit by space debris... yet :D

Joking aside it's nice to be back, I just couldn't find a Seat forum I liked.

Hello Avalon, I don't think we've spoken but with your luck I have to say if ever we should meet don't touch me :D

Welcome back seems to be appropriate at this time and I'll start with an earth tremor opening up a crack right where your car is parked, the crack is just the right size to swallow your car and, this will happen in 9 weeks.

Robshaw you might be right, the first car I got stuck with was equally 'fun' to work on, I sent the ex's dad out to buy a 1.6 Civic and he came back with a 1.6 Meganne with HGF, needed a clutch, timing belt, drive shafts, wheel bearings, disks & pads etc. etc... I should have realised the relationship was doomed the moment I saw it!

Fabdavrav I must have had a hell of a lot of fun :rofl:

DGW the first thing that goes wrong you kind of can't believe but put down to being unlucky, by the time the A4/roadster stuff happened I stopped complaining and just got on with it. The stuff above is just the short version, for example our insurance company (highway) was taken over the Monday after the Octavia was totalled, LV refused to pay out for the child seats/buggy despite our policy clearly stating we had personal belongings cover up to £500. We had to instruct a solicitor before they bothered to listen, or me having to ferry 3 people 35 miles home one by one over the weekend (175 mile round trip), the disc's on the Leon somehow passing an MOT (brake judder test should have failed), I was fobbed off with 'surface rust' so I took them for a spirited drive, still unhappy I stripped them the next day to discover they were totally FUBAR on the inner face, I stripped them down and dumped them on the sales managers desk offering to take them to VOSA for inspection (it'd just been MOT'd and it was still the old test criteria) or they could raise a payment for the pads and disc's i'd by then fitted. They paid up but when doing the ABS repair didn't actuate the pump after replacing it using the fix kit i'd told them to use, result is the air in the ABS pump was never pushed through when they bled the fluid so the o/h had bugger all brake pressure. I can go on but you've probably stopped reading by now :D

Anyway I picked the car up yesterday morning and it managed a whole 15 mins before throwing up the usual PAS fault. In fairness it didn't do it on the test drive and i'd read up on this prior to purchase so i'll start working through the fluid/loom/sensor/fuses/battery today. I suspect it'll be fluid or moisture in the connector/sensor as it reset as soon as the engine was restarted (i'd just pulled into a petrol station).

No space debris or earthquakes so far though but the day is young and I confess i've not looked out of the window just yet :D

Edited by Avalon