Dithering over Yeti

frigiliana

I had 100 percent decided to buy a Polo 1.2 TSI this coming June , then today a Yeti parked up alongside me and knocked my thinking right off , to keep it simple can't justify a diesel don't do enough miles, most of the year it's only me and the wife going from home to supermarket now and again runs up the coast , thing is we live up the side of a mountain and when i compared the weight of the Yeti to the Polo if I'm reading it right from whatcar there is 257 kg difference and I'm thinking same engine pulling that extra weight week in week out, Polo makes more sense ?

I had 100 percent decided to buy a Polo 1.2 TSI this coming June , then today a Yeti parked up alongside me and knocked my thinking right off , to keep it simple can't justify a diesel don't do enough miles, most of the year it's only me and the wife going from home to supermarket now and again runs up the coast , thing is we live up the side of a mountain and when i compared the weight of the Yeti to the Polo if I'm reading it right from whatcar there is 257 kg difference and I'm thinking same engine pulling that extra weight week in week out, Polo makes more sense ?

Depends on what you mean by sense. Yeti is just so much more fun to drive overall. Both are good and make sense. I coninue to be amazed by my 1.2 Tsi Yeti. Did a 700 mile return trip in it last week and it was a joy to drive.

I'll just say one thing: how many Polos will you see in a week?

How many Yetis will you see in the same week?

I'd rather have a distinctive, FAR more spacious Yeti over a tiny 2 segments smaller Polo any day!

I have owned 4 Volkswagens and 2 Skodas. Have had small issues with both, but I would say on the whole the Skodas are actually better built now and the dealers are more accommodating, even though all dealers can be a nightmare at times. I don't know why a Polo would be in any better shape 5 years down the line than a Yeti. I find the Yeti rides a bit harder than your run-of-the-mill hatchback, but the trade-off is you get way more space and decent ground clearance. I also think the Yeti has a more upmarket feel to the dash and interior. Had a 1.2 Yeti as a courtesy car for a few days and was very impressed. You makes your choice, you pays your money. Good luck deciding, they're both cracking little cars. I think you may find people on this forum will tell you to go for the Yeti, and it will be the other way around on the Polo/VW forum. We all feel the need to justify our hard-earned purchase at some point. :rofl:

I'll just say one thing: how many Polos will you see in a week?How many Yetis will you see in the same week?

I do about 2000 miles a month and in the last 5 months I've seen a total of 4 Yeti's in my travels, which take me as far south as Hatfield and as far north as Edinburgh.

Rare as Hen's teeth IMHO

Thanks for all your advice , i was hoping the technical experts would be able to throw some light on how the extra weight over a longterm would impact on the engine given it's the same 1.2 TSI ? don't get me wrong i love the look of the Yeti inside and out

If your user name is an indication of where you live I would say go for the Yeti. We visited frigliana a couple of years ago and I wished I had been in something with a bit more roomy (but then we do have kids).

The other thing to consider is the better driving position on the Yeti (more visibilty etc).

The Yeti is by far the better vehicle in terms of strength both structurally and mechanically, plus you have that extra ground clearance, which can always come in handy if you frequent tracks rather than roads.

Oh the 1.2TSI should also be OK it's a Skoda rather than VW engine ;)

Plus this link might be of interest

My link

Regards,

TP

Thanks 'The Plumber' i didn't realise i'ts a different engine just assumed i'ts the same, looked at Honest Johns video review of the Polo and he says something like "this 1.2 Tsi can be found in the Yeti and a few other cars", did notice on the Whatcar compare tool that the yeti 1.2 is 8v and the polo is 16v not being in anyway

a technical person regarding cars

Yes Barts i do live in Frigiliana so you will appreciate the hike up and down it's got to do

Edited by frigiliana

Thanks 'The Plumber' i didn't realise i'ts a different engine just assumed i'ts the same, looked at Honest Johns video review of the Polo and he says something like "this 1.2 Tsi can be found in the Yeti and a few other cars", did notice on the Whatcar compare tool that the yeti 1.2 is 8v and the polo is 16v not being in anyway

a technical person regarding cars

Yes Barts i do live in Frigiliana so you will appreciate the hike up and down it's got to do

It is the same engine but as I say it's a Skoda product built in their factories, VW, Audi etc. 'import' the engine from Skoda :giggle: same with the 1.2HTP

Should be a robust motor mechanically, less complex 8 valve arrangement and chain driven; that's for all 1.2TSI's there's no 16v version.

Ignore them calling it a VW engine :rofl:

Regards,

TP

The 1.2 TSI has surprising amounts of torque and from very low down in the rev range so handles the weight a lot better than you would expect.

If you can get a test drive of the Yeti with that engine, do so - you might be surprised ( I was)

Edited by rog737

The Yeti is by far the better vehicle in terms of strength both structurally and mechanically, plus you have that extra ground clearance, which can always come in handy if you frequent tracks rather than roads.

Oh the 1.2TSI should also be OK it's a Skoda rather than VW engine ;)

Plus this link might be of interest

My link

Regards,

TP

Tim

The first thing I noticed on my 1.2 was a very prominent volswagen label on the engine so where do you get this idea about skoda having a different 1.2? I I know skoda now make most of the vag diesels so had assumed that the petrol was made somewhere else, like a vw plant.

Sent from my motorola xoom using tapatalk

Tim

The first thing I noticed on my 1.2 was a very prominent volswagen label on the engine so where do you get this idea about skoda having a different 1.2? I I know skoda now make most of the vag diesels so had assumed that the petrol was made somewhere else, like a vw plant.

Skoda is VW's primary producer of small capacity engines and gearboxes from raw material; both the 1.2HTP and 1.2TSI are Skoda motors despite the VW badge on top.

My link

My link

My link

My link

Have a feeling from distant recollection that aluminium engine manufacturing techniques were a primary interest in VW acquiring a foothold in Skoda.

Regards,

TP

I don't know about the UK but I'm looking at a Polo brochure from my local dealer and it says '105 CV (77 KW ) TSI'

There are two output for the 1.2 TSI, 85 PS and 105PS.

Those engines are also fitted to Fabia, Golf, Octavia, Touran, A3 and Yeti (+Ibiza and Leon)

I guess if VW decided to put it in the 7 seater Touran then it must be good enough for the Yeti.

Edited by My_Yeti

And ignore the badge on top of the engine. The same engine gets a different cover badge that reflects the make of car it's going to end up in. Quite literally "badge engineering".

And ignore the badge on top of the engine. The same engine gets a different cover badge that reflects the make of car it's going to end up in. Quite literally "badge engineering".

There's no badge on top of the tsi unlike the diesels but there is a very prominent volkswagen label showing through the radiator grill.

Skoda is VW's primary producer of small capacity engines and gearboxes from raw material; both the 1.2HTP and 1.2TSI are Skoda motors despite the VW badge on top.

My link

My link

My link

My link

Have a feeling from distant recollection that aluminium engine manufacturing techniques were a primary interest in VW acquiring a foothold in Skoda.

Regards,

TP

Jings well there you go. So skoda make the wee petrol and most of the diesels, so what do vw and audi make? :lol:

There's no badge on top of the tsi unlike the diesels but there is a very prominent volkswagen label showing through the radiator grill.

Dunno about the 1.2TSi, but my 1.8TSi has an extremely prominent plastic Skoda badge on the engine cover!

Don't worry, modern petrol engine design is moving ahead in leaps and bounds and with modern high spec materials they are a world away from the engines of just a few years ago. The latest Ford petrol engine is a 3 cylinder unit of less than 1 litre and that provides 123 BHP (peak 148 BHP) and Ford claims it is good for >150,000 miles. The 1.2 TSI unit is a lot less complex than modern diesels with their increasing complexity to meet EU emission targets, it is likely to be longer lived as well as quieter and more suited to your mileages. You say that most of the time there is just two of you on board for light trips and you are not loading it to the gunwales so go with your heart, enjoy the extra space and better view from the higher seating!! Good luck.

Dunno about the 1.2TSi, but my 1.8TSi has an extremely prominent plastic Skoda badge on the engine cover!

no cover at all on the 1.2

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Don't worry, modern petrol engine design is moving ahead in leaps and bounds and with modern high spec materials they are a world away from the engines of just a few years ago. The latest Ford petrol engine is a 3 cylinder unit of less than 1 litre and that provides 123 BHP (peak 148 BHP) and Ford claims it is good for >150,000 miles. The 1.2 TSI unit is a lot less complex than modern diesels with their increasing complexity to meet EU emission targets, it is likely to be longer lived as well as quieter and more suited to your mileages. You say that most of the time there is just two of you on board for light trips and you are not loading it to the gunwales so go with your heart, enjoy the extra space and better view from the higher seating!! Good luck.

Thanks Expatman you make good points, i may not be in a position to buy a new car again so you'll appreciate my thought process as far as the engine longevity