How To: Front Bumper Mod (wide mouth)

Bowders1

• 4 months later...

Just a thought.  Is cutting the rest of the bumper out and increasing the gap height really made a difference to the air temp, admittedly it looks sweet but is it a necessary mod for performance?  Just wondering if its possible whether the standard hole flows plenty enough air at speed for even the welly intercoolers anyway,  without any further modifications??

I might just try running my welly without modifying the bumper first and run some torqueapp tests.  The reason being the radiator sits up high also, so the air flowing all around the front of the bumper must be sufficient for that?  So is it also sufficient for an intercooler as it's only carrying air, not liquid??

Sam

Edited by sammyhale30

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought. Is cutting the rest of the bumper out and increasing the gap height really made a difference to the air temp, admittedly it looks sweet but is it a necessary mod for performance? Just wondering if its possible whether the standard hole flows plenty enough air at speed for even the welly intercoolers anyway, without any further modifications??

I might just try running my welly without modifying the bumper first and run some torqueapp tests. The reason being the radiator sits up high also, so the air flowing all around the front of the bumper must be sufficient for that? So is it also sufficient for an intercooler as it's only carrying air, not liquid??

Sam

It serves two purposes. One to get Max air in which was my goal. Two it looks better.

You can decide to do what you want buddy.

Also if your cutting the crash bar in half, why not just remove it altogether? Surely cutting it in half has compromised the structure of it anyway??

Sam

Are you serious. Removing the crash bar is nowhere near the same. That is just ludicrus. Yes I cut mine but what is left is a main bar . if I took a head on it would hit the two sides of the crash bar which are firmly bolted and secure.

Ok if I took a car hitting the centre of the bumper diagonally then yeah maybe compromised but the chances of a happening is low and my choice. These cars are designed to crumple not stay intact.

As I said your choice but put some thought behind your statement.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...