How To: Front Bumper Mod (wide mouth)

Bowders1

DIY FMIC Bumper Mod Part 1 - Removing Bumper

This is a mod i did some time back but just fix the links to the pics so reposted it. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Car on axle stands ready to go

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod002-1.jpg

Remove the 6 torx screws on either side of the Bumper arches

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod007.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod008.jpg

Remove 3 torxs screws on the top of bumper

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod011.jpg

Remove the bumper grills to expose 2 torxs screws and remove them

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod012.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod013.jpg

Some VRS's have 2 screws underneath also remove these.

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod014.jpg

Remove the Bumper side bolts(10mm) 2 per side.

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod016.jpg

Get a helping hand to support each side and pull bumper forward and away from the car. Job done
This will expose the crash bar and the FMIC if you have one already fitted

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod018.jpg

I modded my Crash bar to expose more of the FMIC. That was my choice

Next part will cover the Bumper modding to expose the full FMIC.

• Like 1

DIY FMIC Bumper Mod Part 2

Ok this covers the remaing part of the modification to the bumper and final fitting. I can actually say I am very pleased with end result. It took longer to do it than probably most people would but this was due to me cleaning and re painting any part in site that I could not get to with bumper and crash bar fitted. Hope you like the result.

With Bumper removed mark up the area where you will be cutting. This will be the reg plate area and the sides and bottom of the bumper to remove the remants of where the reg plate was and the centre grill fitments. I used a jig saw to first roughly cut out the area.

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod029.jpg

Then used a rasp to get closer to the marker lines

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod035.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod042.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod091.jpg

Then finnally used sharp knife to gradually work the the line and finnish off with sand paper to make a good edge for the mesh to fit up to.

View from back

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod097.jpg

View from front. Note I left slight lip at the top to allow the black trim to fit into the oem holes and the mesh to overlap the top(can't see this when trim fitted)

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod100.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod124.jpg

Use cardboard template for mesh, marking it out through bumper opening (you could just offer mesh up to the bumper opening and mark it, but i found it awkward so preferred this method)

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod089.jpg

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod131.jpg

I then sat template over mesh and marked mesh with masking tape. I then left an extra approx 10 to 15mm(shorter at the top of the mesh) to allow for folding it around the rear of the bumper lip. I cut it and offered it up to the rear of the bumper and then trimmed back any access.

Then I offered up the mesh and taped it in place to hold it. I then carefully folded back the extra part of the mesh around the bumper lip and pressed it in place.

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod134.jpg

Pic of mesh sealed in place (tiger seal) left over night with some heavy object pressing down on the sealed areas to keep it tight against the bumper lip.

VRSFMICBumpermod010.jpg

Finnshed Mesh in place. Note the top of the mesh sits over the front of the bumper. This will be sandwiched between the black trim and bumper to give it extra support.

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod132.jpg

Refit bumper (side grills not yet fitted)

VRSFMICBumpermod018.jpg

Closer shot with side grills(milotec) now fitted. I got a nice match with the honeycomb grill effect as the milotec ones.

VRSFMICBumpermod013.jpg

Pic of the finnish to the bumper with mesh sitting nicely. Paid off using some weight to press the mesh to the bumper overnight.

VRSFMICBumpermod015.jpg

VRSFMICBumpermod016.jpg

Front end shot

VRSFMICBumpermod006.jpg

Showing the lowered stance of the weitecs

VRSFMICBumpermod005.jpg

Pic of the reg plate cut down to size. Left around 5mm around the lettering

VRSFMICBumpermod003.jpg

Could not resist a shot of the engine bay showing shiney bits and FMIC top

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod052.jpg

Thats it folks, hope you like it.

• Like 1

where did you get the side grills from mate? i so wanna do this mod to mine now i seen it!

Yep Milotec ones

can get them for here:

http://www.superskoda.com/octavia-i/sportgrills/skoda-octavia-00-07-rs-facelift-3pc-grill-v2-for-oem-bumper-milotec

that is where I got mine. :thumbup:

Where did you get a big enough bit of mesh from to fit the cut out because i carn't find anywhere that sells mesh sheets big enough

Will try and dig out the original pack that I kept the leftovers in the shed and let you l know.

It was purchased on ebay though.

In the second post about pic 14 or 15, why have you got a number plate on top of another number plate? Is that so you can do over filling stations and not be traced? Lol :)

In the second post about pic 14 or 15, why have you got a number plate on top of another number plate? Is that so you can do over filling stations and not be traced? Lol :)

Dam been rumbled...... :giggle:

Actually that is only one plate. The angle and light reflecting on it looks light 2 plates but you can see the black lettering running through the plastic edge.

That's my excuse and i am sticking to it...

• 3 weeks later...

strange question.

Does the insurance company class this as a modification for insurance purposes as it is technically an original bumper? :think:

IMO , yes. Think if you had a knock and the insurance company had to pay for the repair to the bumper. If you declared it, no questions, you'd probably get a new bumper / crash bar reverting you to standard look at worst. At best the labour to modify the new bumper would be included in the work the repairer carried out. If you didn't declare it, they could say it made the car more attractive for theft / infringed the safety of the car (ie cutting the crash bar) so giving them a good excuse to repudiate a claim. Best to ask them , pre-mod and prob won't make alot of difference to your premium.

I asked a similar question when I put the vRS bumper on my 4x4 and cut some of the back out to clear the FMIC pipe.

Edited by modra_vrs

IMO , yes. Think if you had a knock and the insurance company had to pay for the repair to the bumper. If you declared it, no questions, you'd probably get a new bumper / crash bar reverting you to standard look at worst. At best the labour to modify the new bumper would be included in the work the repairer carried out. If you didn't declare it, they could say it made the car more attractive for theft / infringed the safety of the car (ie cutting the crash bar) so giving them a good excuse to repudiate a claim. Best to ask them , pre-mod and prob won't make alot of difference to your premium.

I asked a similar question when I put the vRS bumper on my 4x4 and cut some of the back out to clear the FMIC pipe.

that's what i was thinking, just was looking for other peoples thoughts.

Cheers :thumbup:

i told my insurance company i have done mine and they are fine with it. replaced the center part of the bumper with mesh to allow for a bigger better intercooler.

they didnt charge me any more for my remap either. Happy days

i will also be interested in where you got the mesh for the big mouth...  i cant find none other than halfrauds stuff that is to small

I got mine on ebay from a company called Direct Automotive

size was 100 x 30 cm

but found this on ebay which is perfect

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-BLACK-MESH-GRILL-KAMEI-HONEYCOMB-A2-A3-A4-A5-40X100cm-/140653665091?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20bf9c9b43

good size holes

or this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-BLACK-MESH-KAMEI-GRILL-SUBARU-TOYOTA-30x100-/120745491571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1cfdfc73

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great guide mate,

Will be doing this when i get round to the FMIC.

Is there any chance you can sort the links out in your N249 removal thread mate?

I have tried many times buddy to get deleted pics from PC and not getting much luck, will try again soon but may bite bullet and re create some when i get time.,

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...