Estate ride quality!

fenderman

Hello all,

I am a bit mystified by the appalling ride quality of my recently purchased 2006 Fabia Ambiente 1.9 diesel estate.

About five years ago I bought a high mileage (127,000) 2001 1.4 Mpi Fabia Classic estate. This car was bought as a cheap runaround as we had a nearly new VW Fox that my wife used for work etc. Apart from me having to fit a new timing chain and a couple of front discs the car ran beautifully. I was very impressed with the feeling of driving a much newer and expensive car. In 20,000 miles the car caused me no problems and sailed through the yearly MOT's.

Having now retired my wife and I decided that running two cars was a bit of an extravagance and as the old Fabia was getting on a bit and the Fox was a bit on the small side we sold them both and bought the aforementioned Fabia Ambiente from a local Skoda dealer. Buying another Skoda seemed a sensible idea as the old Fabia had been such a good car. The newer Skoda has a full main dealer service history and is in immaculate condition and I know that this car has obviously been well cared for. Although I took the car on a short test drive I have to admit I didn't notice the difference between the older Fabia and this one. Unfortunately, this newer car feels nothing like the other car as far as every day driving is concerned. Whereas the old car had a generally more sophisticated feel, this one seems to have extremely stiff suspension and on particularly poor road surfaces skips and bounces around where the old Fabia just took these situations in her stride.

I don't know if Skoda have had to stiffen up the suspension in order to cope with the extra weight of the diesel engine or what, but whatever they've done they have ruined a good car. What a shame. I would be interested if anyone out there have experienced similar problems?

Cheers.

Frank.

A couple of points I think explain some of the difference.

The classic had a fair few miles on and I would suspect that the springs were, therefore, a bit softer than the newer car. The classic should have had 165/70-14 tyres on, the ambiente probably has 185/60-14, which have stiffer sidewalls.

Funnily enough I've just had a loan Roomster from my local Skoda place ,and getting back into old betsy 2004 with 66k ,felt like going from a rock solid bed to one of those pillow matresses . I did like the height advantage ,but even Mrs V felt the seats and ride too harsh .Maybe it's just me getting old .

My Diesel Classic has 185-60/14's on .

Thanks for the replies everyone

I note with interest your comments about tyres, shocks and springs. The tyres are indeed 185/60-14 and are fairly new Conti Eco Contact 3's. I will check out the shocks etc. I won't give up on the old girl. Aside from the suspension I am finding the fuel consumption nothing short of amazing, and the engine pulls like a train with a bit of wellie!

I run a 1.9SDI estate with heavy duty springs at the back and VRS struts and springs at the front. It's hard but goes round corners like it's on rails. I think you will get used to the set up in a while.

Were the heavy duty springs an option on the estates?

Not that I'm aware, I bought them to raise the ride height at the back to match the VRS springs at the front as they, for some strange reason, lifted the front. This stiffened up everything and reduced roll considerably.

The 1.9TDI engne alone weighs 200KG according to a wikipedia page. I'd imagine a 1.4MPI weighs more in the region of 100KG (educated guess).

So yes, there's a large amount more weight in the front and it's over/in front of the axle line. Both of which can affect handling/ride.

You mention "particularly poor road surfaces". IMO that's exactly the conditions you'll find the ride/comfort lacking.

Unless there's some other factor such as lowered suspension or tired shock absorbers, I don't think you're going to be able to improve it.

J.

Edited by vindaloo

Hi, my 2004 1.9tdi estate rides really well no problems at all most people who have been in it say what a comfortable ride.

I have 2 1.9TDi Ambiente estates on my fleet at work and agree - they ride really nicely.

Funnily enough I have read on a couple of other websites that the owners report generally good ride quality on their 1.9TDi's.......very odd. Went out to the car this morning, put the bonnet up and applied the full force of my 14 stone bulk to the latch panel and the car barely moves......I am wondering if at just 60,000 miles the shocks are getting stiff....is that possible?

Funnily enough I have read on a couple of other websites that the owners report generally good ride quality on their 1.9TDi's.......very odd. Went out to the car this morning, put the bonnet up and applied the full force of my 14 stone bulk to the latch panel and the car barely moves......I am wondering if at just 60,000 miles the shocks are getting stiff....is that possible?

Most definitely it is possible - I had this a while back on my mazda - the shockers were just starting to leak and instead of going soft as you would expect went rock hard... nearly shook the car to bits!