Opinions On Diesel Units

Hello All - long time no speak

I'm going to swap out my old Superb PD130 for a used Superb 2, but have a dilemma over the diesel units fitted to them

Am I right in thinking that there are old PD units in the range as well as common rail variants? I presume that the CR units are more favourable, and that the 140PD unit is effectively the same as in my current car, previous Golf etc

I'm after Elegance spec, am toying with the DSG route (must be getting old) and would appreciate any opinions

If anyone's looking to sell then I'm in the market

Sam

Edited by SamsterXX

The old 1.9 PD saw a couple of years service in the superb before they moved to the CR engines. 105bhp 1.6 and a 140 and 170 version of the 2.0, all fitted with DPF.

I'm looking around too as I'm not sure if I should go Hatchback or estate, and new or used....

Get the most powerful unit you can afford.

The CR170 does over 55mpg on a gentle motorway run with no problems at all. And it'll really surprise you when you poke it with a sharp stick.

I went for the estate and saved about £5k getting an ex demo. 50,000 miles on the clock and it has been fantastic.

I had a drive of a manual boxed CR 170 Elegance with 33K miles. Not sure if the CR unit has wildly different characteristics - but it felt nowhere near as eager as my old remapped PD130 that's got 130K miles on it. In fact it felt like my current Superb would leave it standing, any gear, any revs?

Beautiful car though - returned 50.1mpg on a varied 10 mile test drive. Very tempted

The CR units can rev nicely up to the redline. The characteristics of CR units are different to those of the PDs. Probably to do with the DPF and the dual mass flywheels. There isn't that slab of torque down at 1800rpm any more. That's the easiest way to goose a DMF so the CRs are tuned to be a little sympathetic.

When I drove the CR after a hybrid equipped PD engine it felt really slow. Once you get used to the way of a CR unit you can make alarmingly quick progress. And they don't feel up to much until run in. Mine has done 50k and is great fun when pressing on.

Just today I traded in 1.9PD Roomster for a 2.0CR 140 Superb. Certainly the power delivery is smoother, but it pulls from 1250 rpm better than I expected. But I wonder if there's a noise issue; we think the PD is pulling more strongly because it makes so much more noise?

Stuart

Just today I traded in 1.9PD Roomster for a 2.0CR 140 Superb. Certainly the power delivery is smoother, but it pulls from 1250 rpm better than I expected. But I wonder if there's a noise issue; we think the PD is pulling more strongly because it makes so much more noise?

Stuart

1.9 quieter and smoother than the 2.0PD. The 2.0CR feels like the best of both worlds.

Cheers - bought used with 30K on the clock

Am now completely au fait with how to keep it on song up through the manual box - very deceptive the way it hauls through the ton :-)

That's the 'run in' bit sorted then.

Yeah, the way it hits 100 (or 62mph) is great ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a 130PS PD Golf a few years ago. Pull away in 2nd gear and it would crawl away until 1800RPM, then just spin the tyres. Great fun if you're a boy racer, but I love the "steam train" effect of the new CR engines that have no turbo lag feeling. It's just consistent pull throughout the rev range. And I agree, it's very easy to be going too fast without noticing it!