Moving To Stage 2

You dont have to upgrade the fuel pump but I would.

I have been at stage 2 and the car ran ok but I did get a few little problems which although werent proven to be caused by only having a standard fuel pump as soon as I upgraded to a HPFP they problems were no more :think:

From personal experience I would say yes but speak to your intended mapping company and see what they say.

• Like 1

Ironically enough I am going to stage 2 tomorrow!! :happy: I have an Evoms intake (not required for stage 2) and a Milltek down pipe with 200 cell sport cat, you don't need an uprated fuel pump until stage 2+/3 although I have heard of cars actually running better with a HPFP fitted on stage 2, better in fact than on stage 2+......

I will need to show restraint tomorrow though, as the guy doing the map also has Autotech internals available for silly money! :devil:

I have fitted the Autotech HPFP and am on a very hot Stage 1 Shark map. Since fitting the internals I have noticed an increase in low end torque and pick up. Also no hesitation in the high revs as sometimes can happen around 5200 rpms. Skoda should have fitted theses as standard like the new TSi engine.

does that mean 2 & 1.8 have the better pump?

Basically the new TSi engine had a better pump fitted that could produce 150 bar easily where as on the TFSi it could make 130bar but only up in the top of the rev range. I am not sure whether the fuel pump in the 2.0 and 1.8 TSi are the same.

You don't need an uprated fuel pump until stage 2+/3 although I have heard of cars actually running better with a HPFP fitted on stage 2, better in fact than on stage 2+......

Based on my actual 1st hand experiences I agree with this 100%.

As per my previous post. you dont have to fit either a HPFP or uprated internals but it does make a difference and I would defo recommend you do it if budget allows even if you dont have any problems.

For example one problem I had was at motorway speeds and the car going in to limp mode when accelerating in 6th gear (cant remember if it was 5th as well). HPFP sorted that out straight away.

• Like 1

Based on my actual 1st hand experiences I agree with this 100%.

As per my previous post. you dont have to fit either a HPFP or uprated internals but it does make a difference and I would defo recommend you do it if budget allows even if you dont have any problems.

For example one problem I had was at motorway speeds and the car going in to limp mode when accelerating in 6th gear (cant remember if it was 5th as well). HPFP sorted that out straight away.

Surely then you do need the uprated HPFP if without it the car goes into limp mode at motorway speeds???

I think a lot is down to which map you have. Some maps request the full 130 bar and others request less. If the map requests the full 130 bar from the standard internals then it is going to struggle to make the demand. I have noticed a massive increase in pick up and low end torque after fitting the Autotech internals. Even a standard car would benefit from uprated internals.

I'm going to put it on hold for now in terms of fitting the items as ontop of the downpipe and stage 2 map i want to fit an S3 intercooler and an uprated fuelpump so its not over stressed.

Surely then you do need the uprated HPFP if without it the car goes into limp mode at motorway speeds???

That was the best way to descibe it but it doesnt throw up an EML and literally shut down theres just no response when pressing the accelerator. After about 20/30 seconds all was fine again.

It defo depends on which map you have and also how you are driving it.

E.G. When cruising on the motorway in 6th and you need a little extra overtaking power on one of the maps I had if you didnt change down to 5th but just accelerated in 6th you would occasionally get the issue I just described. Not every time and speeds werent excessive at all and all legal (maybe just over when overtaking). It wasnt dangerous but it wasnt right and it was annoying. There was no particular pattern to it so its hard to provide more information but hopefully it answers the question a little more.

I'm going to put it on hold for now in terms of fitting the items as ontop of the downpipe and stage 2 map i want to fit an S3 intercooler and an uprated fuelpump so its not over stressed.

Thats exactley how I look at it and IMO is the correct way to go about modding the car to stage 2 or above. Experience has proved this theory to be right many times for me.

• Like 1

But the point of stage 2 is you shouldn't need the pump. Say if someone did not want to fit the pump because they didn't like the thought of increased cam follower wear and the extra expense, should they be expected to put up with fuel cuts?

Maybe it's a problem with the car or maybe the map but I wouldn't like to have to fit the uprated pump when it's not a requirement.

Just my opinion. :)

But the point of stage 2 is you shouldn't need the pump. Say if someone did not want to fit the pump because they didn't like the thought of increased cam follower wear and the extra expense, should they be expected to put up with fuel cuts?

Maybe it's a problem with the car or maybe the map but I wouldn't like to have to fit the uprated pump when it's not a requirement.

Just my opinion. :)

Its a fair point and to my mind theres a direct link between the "mapper" asking if you have or are going to install a HPFP.

Maybe the map that is installed will cater for the equipment, standard or modified. Otherwise why ask the question?