ECU remap and insurance

Do you include swopping out the standard stereo for a better Alpine one when you talk about declaring and modifications to the insurer? I'd hardly say it's a performance modification (although my ears would beg to differ! :D )

As far as ICE goes if you're going to go all out, it's best to get seperate insurance for it as said above you'll only be covered up to a certain amount. I've seen several cases on a different forum that people that weren't insured for all the gear had to start from scratch after spending thousands of pounds then it all getting nicked. If it's just a HU then you're fine. My ICE has always been worth more than the car it's been in until I got my Furby so now it's only about 15%. I'm one of those people who haven't insured my kit but that's because it's in my bedroom at the moment not my car as I'm too lazy to fit it all.

Drive safe and be insured ;)

if you hav acess to another vehicle will that make my insurance cheaper or more expensive? elephant ask this on there website, i drive the works car alot so should i mention this?

Should be cheaper as you'll be driving it less, just the same as adding a named driver as they think you'll drive the car less. Just don't quote me on that I may be wrong.

Should be cheaper as you'll be driving it less, just the same as adding a named driver as they think you'll drive the car less. Just don't quote me on that I may be wrong.

can anyone else conferm this?

if you hav acess to another vehicle will that make my insurance cheaper or more expensive? elephant ask this on there website, i drive the works car alot so should i mention this?

Ummm - why would that affect your insurance? Surely your estimated annual mileage will reflect how much or little you drive the car your policy is for? :confused:

Chris

what millage will be low enough to warrent a discount?

Some insurers do it in bands of 3k miles...so anywhere between 0-3000miles a year will cost the same, 3000-6000, 6000-9000, etc.

Your insurer may be different though.

Rob.

All insurance companies I have used have always based the premium on the highest risk person on the policy. Would be a pretty obvious con otherwise for younger drivers !

It varies from company to company...for example, I have two policies. On one, the fact I have my wife on it means that they assume she will be driving the car half the time, therefore the premium is weighted accordingly, and I save about

All insurance companies I have used have always based the premium on the highest risk person on the policy. Would be a pretty obvious con otherwise for younger drivers !

I got 30 quid off for adding my other half. Ironically, she's a year younger and hasn't driven in years ;)

The way they calculate risk is they figure that if a lower risk person is on the policy, the car will be driven slightly less by the high-risk people on the policy so the overall risk is reduced and the premium can be lower.

Chris

On '2' - let's say the Furby is 130 bhp official - a lot of them seem to be coming out more around 150 bhp, which is already 15% over 'stock' bhp. So if a box would take it up to say 160 bhp, that would be 23% if you had to declare it for insurance purposes.. IMHO it should in that case be 7% as it's not that much increase..

Thats a very simplistic view though. What you will actually find is that tuning box manufacturers quote in increases of bhp & nm / lb ft, for example, Mr Hoot digital tuning box is +30 bhp and +50 nm.

If you are going to quote a percentage, then its possibly safer to quote the increase from stock value. So if a tuning box manufacturer says it gives 160 bhp, they mean it gives +30 bhp (23.07% increase).

So if this Fabia produces 150 bhp on a given roller, you can expect it to give 180 bhp after adding such a tuning box.

I have to say though, I have noticed that mostly everyone, regardless of which kind of car they own, will ALWAYS say that their car is more powerful than the factory figure. I dont really believe it to be honest, but even if it was, what difference does it make if everyone else's car is always more powerful than claimed anyway? ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I would not speculate on what power I may think it has, if anyone asks, mine is 130 bhp, no more...

• 2 months later...

I'm sure that there are small differences between engines so that some do produce more than 130bhp , but it does seem like a coincidence that all the 140+ ones are rolling roaded at one place.

I'd say most will be 130bhp +/- a few bhp. If it's below 125, it would look bad. If it's too high, it would too. First one would be customer not happy, second would be insurers not happy.

Not sure what the rules are, but no doubt there are some rules :D