Oil and filter service for vRS every 5000 miles

As topic really

I've noticed a few on here state they do this every 5k or even less, mostly on modified vRS's. Is it really needed?

Yes, I have been doing it too, but just thought to myself why? (actually I've left it 5138 miles now)

Please discuss...

Joe

Any engine likes nice fresh oil, but even more so one with a turbo. Add to that tuning it for more power thus running more boost through the turbo seems like a no brainer to me for the sake of £40-£50 every 6 months. I`m sure you could run it on yearly or 10k oil changes, but if it prolongs the life of the turbo i`m happy to spend the extra.

i do mine every 10,000 or 1 year

Correct! Anything more often is just wasting good oil.

People do it as a piece of mind thing but really your just wasting money.

Just use the best oil you can afford. I'm using Fuchs pro s ester based oil which is as good as it gets.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=oil%20change%20intervals%20for%20the%20most%20popular%20vehicles&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edmunds.com%2Fcar-care%2Fstop-changing-your-oil.html&ei=Su9PT-WtEsyk8gPVtM3vBQ&usg=AFQjCNHpXvu9kof-SKMjAtuTm9xoSBHmsA&sig2=PqeJ4ZmkvLnHU-RV78Ho1w

Edited by mr rooney

Any engine likes nice fresh oil, but even more so one with a turbo. Add to that tuning it for more power thus running more boost through the turbo seems like a no brainer to me for the sake of £40-£50 every 6 months. I`m sure you could run it on yearly or 10k oil changes, but if it prolongs the life of the turbo i`m happy to spend the extra.

+1

Oil is basically the heart beat of a turbo so its very important, not just for the turbo but the engine too obviously :)

I can't see any point in doing it more often than recommended by Skoda

depends on state of tune but more importantly how you drive it.

if you always drive like you stole it then it may be beneficial and likewise if highly tuned but i would agree that for most people then the service interval will be more than enough.

i wouldnt just trust the book blindly though - i would cetainly change gearbox oil ahead of skoda recomendations (they dont think it ever needs changing! :giggle: )

^^^ no through the top using a anti gravitational device :lol:

Yeah through the bottom. A spline tool is needed but before you drain it make sure you can get the refill plug out first.

Thanks lol I changed my oil on Wednesday and noticed something that possibly would drain it lol how does the refill plug come out? And where do I access it from? Down below? Or from the top?

Have changed the oil on all my cars, sporty and otherwise, every 3k miles or thereabouts.

The repsected Vauxhall tuner Bill Blydenstein wrote a 'paper' on the benefits of this, it's like having a blood transfusion!

Have changed the oil on all my cars, sporty and otherwise, every 3k miles or thereabouts.

The repsected Vauxhall tuner Bill Blydenstein wrote a 'paper' on the benefits of this, it's like having a blood transfusion!

he did but it was the best part of 40 years ago and oil technology has moved on a long way since then.

while oils do break down the service life of modern oils ald the quality of modern engines means that oils do not get the same level of contamination that they did back then.

there are companies that will anylise used oils and many reports of people who have had oil checked after 3k, 5k 7.5k and 10k miles that show very little degradation of the oil. but driving style and tune will change this to a degree.

at the end of the day changing oil wont do any harm and if it makes "YOU" feel better then thats your choice but its unlikely to be of any benefit for the vast majority of people

its quite tempting to send a sample of my 10k + oil out for testing - would be interesting to know just how worn out it is. if anything i personally would be tempted to extend the life of the oil not reduce it - many modern cars are now heading to the 18-20K oil change intervals!

Always found the below interesting.

http://www.carbibles...eoil_bible.html

I have a highly modified Impreza type R which has an oil change every 3K miles (once a year due to little use). I now own a highly modified Fabia VRS and will be changing the oil every 6 months.

good information :thumbup:

I do about 28k a year so 10k changes are under 6 months and why I could probably get away with longer.

how the engine is used will have a more dramatic shift on oil change frequency than the simplicity of the books time/distance recomendation but its a good safe starting point if you are not sure.

But you need to remember Skoda are only interested in selling new cars. They've no interest in what happens to it once it's out of warranty. If they told potential customers that their new Skoda requires serviced every 5K miles most would walk out the showroom.

My previous cars have all had 5-6K mile oil changes and I will continue to do so with my Skoda.

But you need to remember Skoda are only interested in selling new cars. They've no interest in what happens to it once it's out of warranty. If they told potential customers that their new Skoda requires serviced every 5K miles most would walk out the showroom.

My previous cars have all had 5-6K mile oil changes and I will continue to do so with my Skoda.

Does anyone have any proof that not changing the oil more frequently than Skoda recommends is doing any harm? No...

Can't argue with that. I personally do notice improvement on 10k changes, and I don't leave it a moment before too. However if the potential benefit is unclear for doing it more frequently then I won't be.

Always the Quantum stuff for me as that seems to be as good as you need, sadly it has seen a price hike so seems to be about twice what I had it for last year so will probably looking for something suitable to replace.

They now have it around the price of Castrol Turbo Diesel which I presume has similar (or better?) properties.

Regarding 505.01 oils, I;m not sure if cheaper oils like MIllers, Fuchs or Gulf are anything like the Quantum spec stuff ? e.g. they have a lower viscosity index

I've never dropped into quik fit or anything like that, so wouldn't let any spanner monkeys change the oil for any own brand crap they chuck in which might turn out to not be 505.01 - no matter how lazy I feel I'm catious that the oil is as important as the change itself. Although there seems to be as much of a debate regarding the VW spec oils and cam wear, I looked at this recently and came close to a scanners moment and just decided not to overthink it as Im prone to doing.

Edited by dominorising

Not sure that this helps, but,..

There is wear and tear on the undershield fixers and sump bolt - although a vacuum emptier overcomes this problem.

My old Corsa (Isuzu engine) had oil changes at 4,500m. I did it religiously and it was running like a bird when I sold it at over 250K miles.

Current 1.4TDI at 156K I use a vacuum emptier at 10K (check proper amount removed) and Comma oil. No problems, max half litre beween services used. Pikey mod to breather. Always let engine tick-over to cool for a few moments before turning off to help turbo.

Conclusion - you're all right!