reversing camera help.

After seeing a post about reversing cameras I went out and bought one for the license plate light.

I can see one power option is for the light which you would power off the old light

But the power for the camera needs 12v? I think.

Since I have the amp In the boot, can i use that to power the camera? Red in the live and black in the earth?

Regards,

Damian.

Carn't you just get power from reverse lights as you don't need it any other time or just run a wire under carpet from cig lighter under centre console

not sure about the MK1 but you cannot use the reverse light in the MK2 as the Can-Bus monitoring will cause lines all over the picture.

John

I wouldn't use brake light circuit just for safety reasons, look at camera specs I carn't see if pulling as much current or not enough to pop fuse for reverse lights anyway

just jump it off off your reversing light. you only need it when your reversing and your revering lights already switched so the cam will only come on when you need it. if you jump it off your brake light it will only come on when you brake so its pointless.

im waiting for mine to arrive as the one off my old car will not fit the octy.. thats how im going to wire it.

Power off reversing light for camera power. Light is powered from existing plate bulb wire. My wire goes up the inside of tailgate through to the side panel via rubber grommets and down to the n/s light cluster. I have a small 3" screen (cheap off ebay) mounted in the glovebox for viewing reversing image. works well. Camera has graduated markings so you know when to stop.

Would like to integrate it with MFD1 Satnav but is too complicated needing a video adaptor box at about £80

should do. as long as your head unit has a cam inout and a switch wire it will work. (i would think alpine does) im lost without a reverse cam, heres my old 1, this was a ebay spesh as well..

SDC12397-1.jpg

• Like 3

That's my head unit Haha! When you go into reverse does it switch on automatically? With attaching it to reversing light.. if I go across both ends of the bulb, will it work? Because if i did that ideally the bulb would work as a fuse.

That's my head unit Haha! When you go into reverse does it switch on automatically? With attaching it to reversing light.. if I go across both ends of the bulb, will it work? Because if i did that ideally the bulb would work as a fuse.

Mines all in now. What a palvour! Had to cut the tailgate trim to make it fit.

@ geeman. Is there a way to make it come on automatically?

there is a purple wire on the head unit that says cam switch. on the yellow cam phono there should be a wire (head unit end) that is what you plug it into. that will enable it to switch over automaticly. On the head unit settings you will see camera polarity. If it dont auto change when you put it in gear then change the polarity.

you need to attach the live wire of the camera to the reversing light. then earth the black wire of the cam. job done. :)

Edited by Gee-man

there is a purple wire on the head unit that says cam switch. on the yellow cam phono there should be a wire (head unit end) that is what you plug it into. that will enable it to switch over automaticly. On the head unit settings you will see camera polarity. If it dont auto change when you put it in gear then change the polarity.

job done. :)

Little lost there...

So are you saying I should plug the yellow phono to the purple wire... does that have a phono end?

Or are you saying that there is a wire that comes of the phono which need to attach to the purple line? Because my phono lead didn't come with another wire on it.

you need to attach the live wire of the camera to the reversing light. then earth the black wire of the cam.

I have already done that. It's all plugged in and wired up.

I think he is saying the yellow cable (on the HU harness) is the video feed from the camera, and the purple wire (again on the HU harness) is the switch-cable, which probably injects +12v as a "switch" command to the HU to start displaying the video feed from the camera.

The purple wire could be connected up to the switch side of the reversing light switch on the gearbox to save running a wire to the rear of the car/reversing lights.

At the camera end, you will probably have connections for:

---> ground

---> +12v (supply to camera)

---> +12v (switch/trigger supply to HU to enable display switch over)

---> video out (yellow phono plug, maybe)

I think he is saying the yellow cable (on the HU harness) is the video feed from the camera, and the purple wire (again on the HU harness) is the switch-cable, which probably injects +12v as a "switch" command to the HU to start displaying the video feed from the camera.

The purple wire could be connected up to the switch side of the reversing light switch on the gearbox to save running a wire to the rear of the car/reversing lights.

At the camera end, you will probably have connections for:

---> ground

---> +12v (supply to camera)

---> +12v (switch/trigger supply to HU to enable display switch over)

---> video out (yellow phono plug, maybe)

Off the camera I have.

Camera Power

-12v+ running to the reverse light

-ground

Light Power

-running off the license plate bulb supply.

Phono

-going to the head unit.

With connecting it to the gearbox... where do I connect it to?

what is this light power?

head unit you have.. 1x yellowy brown female phono input.

your cam will prob have a yellow male phono which plugs into the above female input. That is your video feed

Power you have sorted

now this light power, i dont understand what this is, but you need another wire to create a switchable signal. I would suspect this is the wire you need to join to the Purple wire on the back of the head unit loom. it is labeled Cam Switch if your head units the same as mine.

Dont forget in your menu, you have a camera polarity fucntion. if after connecting all these wires it does not switch by its self, switch the polarity over.

hope thats more clear for you fella. :thumbup:

what is this light power?

head unit you have.. 1x yellowy brown female phono input.

your cam will prob have a yellow male phono which plugs into the above female input. That is your video feed

Power you have sorted

now this light power, i dont understand what this is, but you need another wire to create a switchable signal. I would suspect this is the wire you need to join to the Purple wire on the back of the head unit loom. it is labeled Cam Switch if your head units the same as mine.

Dont forget in your menu, you have a camera polarity fucntion. if after connecting all these wires it does not switch by its self, switch the polarity over.

hope thats more clear for you fella. :thumbup:

The light power is for its inbuilt LED light.

How would I route a 12v from the gearbox like mbames said?

Right then, lets have another go at this.

Camera inputs:

---> +12v (possibly from the reversing lights)

---> ground

Numberplate LED:

---> +12v from existing numberplate bulb harness (I guess this shares the common ground connection for the camera)

Camera outputs:

---> video feed (to connect to the HU)

HU inputs:

---> video feed (from camera - see camera outputs) [yellow phono socket on Gee-man's HU harness]

---> cam switch trigger (either from the gearbox switch, or the reversing lights) [purple on Gee-man's HU harness]

The HU needs to know when to switch to the reversing camera image on the screen, so it needs a trigger. Either this might be supplied with an additional cable running beside the video feed from the rear of the car, or you can source something yourself - using the reversing light switch from the gearbox is probably the easiest (and the same as the feed to the bulbs at the back of the car - just the other end of the loom).

I haven't installed one of these, but I understand the concept. Obviously gee-man has some practical experience here, but we are basically saying the same thing.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused matters too much :sweat:

Edited by mbames

the LEDS are they infer red? if so they should be powered from the power of the cam its self. mine was, my bros was, my dads was...as are the 8 CCTV cams i have on my house! lol unless of corse your cam is totally different!! lol (could be an option)

the camera will just send the signal under power. In other words it will send a picture when you put the car in reverse. The Head unit then needs to know when to receive the signal. You can manually switch the cam on with the buttom on the middle top of the touch screen but... the head unit has a auto switch function. There should be a wire that comes off the camera (or in with the cam loom) that will work with his inbuilt switch. (the purple wire)

you got some pics? link to you cam?