mk 2 vrs very ill. could be new engine.

I have had two spark plug issues over 11,500 miles.

Emission light came on briefly both times; Skoda said stop driving it and we will send engineer out.

Fixed by a new spark plug.

I bought a set of NGK plugs, much cheaper than Skoda and emission light came on again.

Was able to drive 3 miles to the dealer, who found no fault, so I told him to fit the new set of plugs.

No messing about to find which cylinder.

Problem cured, engine runs as smooth as ever.

So will order another set of plugs; cheaper than a new engine, when warranty runs out.

So this engine eats spark plugs and will benefit from a change at about 9000 miles intervals.

Tony

Iv got one of the very first ones made and iv had no spark plug issuses, i have had the eml light on but that was under high revs stuck in the snow and booting it after a long journey at a constant speed and my previous polo had the light flash in both those circumstances aswell. But then again im sure if i took my sparkers out they would look horrendus due to all the early on track abuse

Early engined ones seem to be the issue, although not all as Sharkrider has a 2010 car with no issues.

indeed... mine is the engine code that has suspect piston rings too, but mine doesn't use oil! you never can tell.......

Guest BigJase88

partner has an 06 golf gt, same engine 1.4tsi, 170bhp however...

coil pack 4 failed and needed a new 2nd gear synchro but other than that its running sweet, on 45k

rather lot of issues with this engine though, personally i'd avoid in the future

Edited by BigJase88

My Polo has only done 4k miles and is a lete 2011 build car. No issues and currently running about the maximum power you can get from it without doing internals anyway.

I'll keep you posted though :think:

good news lads shes back the car has a new engine i have to sort the v5 out. so in the process of sorting paperwork. regards the plugs skoda have confirmed there is a issues with spark plugs "skodas words unable to cope with the power and performance off car " and if you go in and mention it to the dealer they should replace with upgraded sparks. for me that was to late, they have done top work all round only niggle is she has 5miles less on the clock than when i took her in lol so its time to start loving the car again. getting back in her from a 1.2 3 cylinder that rattles and sounds like a tractor to the vrs was such a nice feeling...

good news lads shes back the car has a new engine i have to sort the v5 out. so in the process of sorting paperwork. regards the plugs skoda have confirmed there is a issues with spark plugs "skodas words unable to cope with the power and performance off car " and if you go in and mention it to the dealer they should replace with upgraded sparks. for me that was to late, they have done top work all round only niggle is she has 5miles less on the clock than when i took her in lol so its time to start loving the car again. getting back in her from a 1.2 3 cylinder that rattles and sounds like a tractor to the vrs was such a nice feeling...

really? *calls dealer...

(glad your car is better ;) )

Happy days, glad you're sorted.

Any idea what plugs that they put in as a replacement ? I've already changed mine to the 'recommended' ones, with no difference in the rough idle.

Girls no time like the presence IMO, don't wait until it goes bang you'll kick yourselfs if anything happens, mystic meg you ain't so ?

Still trolling well I see lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sharkrider's engine was the one that they reckon needed new rings but yet his burns no oil and no misfires. My engine is running well and is loosening up nicely. If it were to go bang then Skoda will change it no questions asked. It's called warranty

Still trolling well I see lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sharkrider's engine was the one that they reckon needed new rings but yet his burns no oil and no misfires. My engine is running well and is loosening up nicely. If it were to go bang then Skoda will change it no questions asked. It's called warranty

Martyn hope you where touching wood when you where typing lol, thing is tho when you know there's a issue with some cars in regards the plugs, they should recall them and replace the plugs especially when the dealer has said the standard plugs are not up to the job, and it's apparent hey broke the engine

The desk I'm typing on is made of wood :)

I can always ask them to see what they say. My local dealer has never fobbed me off before. But will they change plugs for free if they are consumables? I don't like to fiddle as it's fine

The desk I'm typing on is made of wood :)

I can always ask them to see what they say. My local dealer has never fobbed me off before. But will they change plugs for free if they are consumables? I don't like to fiddle as it's fine

Yes why change them if they're combustables! Bloody dealers if drivers of the polo are not having as much issues, they may have the answer regarding which plugs are best ?

Polos arnt fairing much better my dads work has one going in for new piston rings, much to my joy because he now belives me about the engine drinking oil and VW have now changed the problem to a TPI, so if the customer reports and oil problem they have to change them.

Polos arnt fairing much better my dads work has one going in for new piston rings, much to my joy because he now belives me about the engine drinking oil and VW have now changed the problem to a TPI, so if the customer reports and oil problem they have to change them.

TPI ? So will skoda do the same ?

Cant remember of the exact meaning off the top of my head but its a step below a recall, its on the earlier engines not sure what the engine code was though.

And i should think so, it will be a whole VAG thing if they have any common sense.......

Also, what does these "it's made official" quotes mean? Shouldn't Skoda inform its dealerships worldwide at almost the same time If they acknowledge something definite regarding any model's reliability/safety issues?

For example, when I asked my dealership which happens to be the one and only Skoda importer for the entire France, he said that no DSG software updates have been sent from Skoda regarding the 7-speed DSG (in contrast with what has been said here) and I haven't asked yet, but I doubt they would have any update regarding the plugs either.

What I mean is, some decisions may be actually taken from national branches of Skoda like Skoda UK, considering whats best for their customers but that may not necessarily mean it is such a major problem, otherwise it would have been adressed from Skoda Czech in the first place.

I think later cars came with the updated plugs, certainly a lot of early cars having problems.

I hear more about Seat Ibiza problems then vRS and GTI ones. Maybe the Germans and Czechs make them better than the Spanish!