New guy, Travelling the length of UK to Buy an Octy vRS

So I have found one at the other side of the country from me with all the options ticked.

Its an 07 2.0 TFSi in Black with Sat nav, bluetooth, reverse sensors, Xenon headlights, cruise control, climate control so im pretty happy with it,

However it has done just over 60,000 miles and still needs its cambelt changed so there is negotiation in the price.

I have a few questions other than the obvious what should I look for.

From the photo's one of the headlights looks like it has steamed up, is this a common fault and is it easy to fix, the guy said it was just down to the flash making it look like that but until I see it I have to arm myself with the cost of replacing or fixing it.

Also he said he has owned it for 2 years and only covered 5000 miles (weekend car) the last service was done when he bought it at 55,000 miles, does this mean that I will need to carry out another service?

Also any tests, things to check, listen for to make sure the car is sound.

Oh one more thing is 60,000 high for this car? It has three stamps in the book 2 from Skoda and one from Subaru where he bought it.

I hope my questions are OK

Mine's currently on 113k and doing well, 60k is not a worry at all. Servicing should ideally be yearly on a high performance engine like this IMO. Can't help with the headlight, sorry!

I am sure there is a buyers guide on the forum somewhere, I'll have a quick search now and edit my post if I can find it...

Unfortunately with a vRS around this age it is usually a matter of when rather than if you get the dreaded ESP light stays on issue. This is down to a fault ABS sensor. It's a known issue however you will end up fighting tooth and nail with Skoda/VW to get any kind of acknowledgement and/or a goodwill payment. The cost of repair on this particular item is around the £200 ark for the "fix kit". So not a cheap repair.

You might be lucky, it might never happen, but it could and you'll never convince a seller to drop the price by £200 in case it does.

Check that the Xenon's are factory fitted. There were certainly fewer Mk2 vRS with them fitted at the factory. If they are after-market, well my opinion is don't, but if they are it's not a major selling point and you shouldn't be paying a premium for them.

Should aslo have 18" Zenith's, Jumbo Storage Box and rear electric windows at around this time - might be worth cheacking they are all installed.

Hi, how do I check the Xenons are factory fitted, it has the washer jets, am I right in assuming that they are self leveling and dont have a height selection inside the cabin so if there is no height selection dial I can safely say they are factory fitted?

It has the jumbo box, rear electric windows and 18" Zeniths so all good there.

£200 fix aint nearly anywhere near as bad as my previous car, Honda Civic 2.2 EX, windscreen wipers faulty stop switch £240 for whole new motor, £140 for new wing mirror which will fail at folding in, both mine did it within the 18 months I had it, beyond a joke.

I have got him down to a great price without even seeing it yet so I may end up down there this weekend, just doing some back ground checks on it.

Thanks for the help guys

Not only are aftermarket xenons not a huge selling point, but technically they are not legal, and from April the car won't pass an MOT with them in.

The other side of the country is a long way to go back if anything goes wrong. Personally I'd wait for a lower mileage example closer to home.

Mike

Why wouldn't they pass?

It only needs self levelling and headlight washers tested iif fitted. If they aren't fitted there's nothing to test.

The way Xenon bulbs work is by a high intensity discharge, the light spread out from them in a different pattern and if the reflectors/optics arent designed for this the light would reflect in all the wrong directions dazzling oncoming drivers.

Your right about the leveling and washers but it also needs the correct relflector/optics I dont know if the halogen optics are they same as the Xenon ones

Hi, how do I check the Xenons are factory fitted, it has the washer jets, am I right in assuming that they are self leveling and dont have a height selection inside the cabin so if there is no height selection dial I can safely say they are factory fitted?

Yes, washer jets on a vRS = factory fit xenon's (the lack of the manual levelling knob will confirm).

If the headlight is full of condensation then this could be an expensive fix. At 60,000 miles then it is likely a stone chip / crack will be letting in moisture.

There are breather pipes on each headlight designed to allow moisture out, if the guy has steam cleaned the engine bay there is a good chance he's filled the headlight up with water (and most of the electrics). Luckily the headlights are easily removed so an overnight stay in the airing cupboard will dry it out.

I think if the car had the ESP problem it would of shown by now,had this happen to my 08 last year,so it was just over 3 yrs old,and was told its only on certain chassis.Mine was the £800.00 quid job but after a bit of persistance skoda covered the cost.BTW i did go to an independent vw garage also to get a quote on the repair kit the first time skoda said they were not gonna cover the cost,and was told that the repair kit don't always work.Whether they were just saying that to get the more costly ABS unit replaced i don't know,as i decided to back to Skoda and luckily it all worked out.

Have xenon lights and the manufactured fitted have wash wipes and are auto self level,so no manual adjustment.Never had any problem with steaming inside the lights either.

OK so all very usefull replies, this forum is great and not even got myself an Octy

I have a funny feeling this first deal may fall though but I have another lined up closer to me, also less spec but Xenon and Sat nav, no maxidot.

Question, can I link my iphone to play my music through the car, what option do I need checked?

Also does the Bluetooth handsfree work with the iphone 4S and copy the contacts into memory?

Is there something im missing here, I keep reading you can change all these interesting settings like daylight running bulbs that are already installed in the foglights and cornering foglights, is there more to Skoda than meets the eye?

Edited by abarth_1200

At present, all that is required is for the lights to both work, and be aligned properly, but things are changing.

New MOT requirements from April will be checking for aftermarket fitted HID's. Remember they will not be e-marked for legal road use. The vast majority of after market kit (including the kits on both my own Octavias) are direct substitutions for the standard halogens, and so will not have any form of self levelling. You only need to look for the interior levelling switch to rule out auto levelling. Simply put, if there are aftermarket HIDs in a car presented for MOT after April, they tester will not be able to pass them.

Loads of threads and comments about the changes to the MOT on here.

Mike

you don't need washers or auto levelling. They've amended the new rules. Washers and auto levelling only need to work if fitted. Presumably this was changed because they realised some oem models don't have these, atom, xbow etc.

E marking isn't for the Mot tester to check either. Just that they are aligned and not blue basically.

Edited by jrw

I think you will find the washerjets and the auto leveling is a EU requirement rather than a UK MOT thing. However I am pretty sure both have to be used with Xenon lights or the car would fail the MOT.

I think you will find the washerjets and the auto leveling is a EU requirement rather than a UK MOT thing. However I am pretty sure both have to be used with Xenon lights or the car would fail the MOT.

This has been done to death more than once:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge

(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may (not "must") be fitted

with headlamp washers and a suspension or

headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work;

however, it is accepted that it may not be possible

to readily determine the functioning of self levelling

systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt

must be given.

One thing struck me from your original post:

- last service was "when he bought it". A dealer service of a used car before selling would normally just be oil and filter change. I'd check what should have been done on the schedule at that mileage 'cos you can bet that it wasn't done.

- the mileage also sounds slightly fishy to me. might just be me being paranoid, but it would be pretty easy for someone to have bought at 55k, done 30k a year for two years, then wind the clock back to show 60k before moving it on. I just don't buy "weekend car" or a mileage of only 2.5k per year. hope i'm wrong but buyer beware and all that.

yes, i'm a cynical ******.

:)

I just don't buy "weekend car" or a mileage of only 2.5k per year. hope i'm wrong but buyer beware and all that.

Not sure I'd buy the car even if this was true. This suggests the car has not been used properly and could be hiding all sorts of things that only appear when used it "normally". It hasn't been serviced for 2 years which shows the owner has neglected to care for it as well as drive it - it will require a full service + cambelt straight away regardless of the few miles it has done since its last service. I'd much prefer a car with a slightly higher than average mileage to demonstrate the car is capable of actually doing it! I wouldn't go to the next town to buy this car, I can't imagine why the original poster is considering travelling the length of the country to buy any fairly common car, let alone this one.

Edited by keith3289

WRT the mileage comments above by rob_e & keith3289.

I'm currently only doing about 3,000 miles a year in my car which is maintained to a higher than average standard. I also have all the servce stamps, invoices for work carried out on the car (showing mileage) and old MOT's which support the low mileage. The car also gets a regulr run (at least once or twice a week) and a long drive every 4-6 weeks. I suppose you could call my car weekend car.

It is of course your opinion and your entitled to it but IMO your concerns are not valid.

Regardless of milage per year if the car looks right and drives right it's highly doubtful it wont be right. Follow the logical thought process when buying any used car and even with a professional inspection you still take a risk.

The name of the game is to take a calculated and as low a risk as possible.

It wouldnt put me off buying a car that hadnt done much mileage as long as everything supported this and it was fine on inspection and test drive.

If you follow your logic than a low mileage car is not worth a premium and is not sought after which I think you will find is the complete opposite of what happens in the real world.

Your concerns over servicing are spot on and I would look into that. If the car hasnt donr much mileage I would still be looking for regular service intervals which will also pull up any other issues as part of the overall inspection. E.G. The main dealer always give my car a full health check at the time of service so anything thats not right is highlighted for attention/fixing.

WRT the mileage comments above by rob_e & keith3289.

I'm currently only doing about 3,000 miles a year in my car which is maintained to a higher than average standard. I also have all the servce stamps, invoices for work carried out on the car (showing mileage) and old MOT's which support the low mileage.

Mark - that's exactly my point. I have no issue with cars doing a low mileage, and yes it can be a positive thing in many cases, but yours has a bunch of invoices and service stamps to verify its history, where the OP's car has none. That's why, for me, alarm bells would ring.

I bought a 2008 VRS 2.0 TFSI back in June with 65000kilometres on the clock and have just done a very expensive service...so perhaps consider the following:

1. spent circa 600EUR replacing the front shocks and various other suspension components. My mechanic also has the same model VRS and says it was an issue on his 2008 car also...apparently due to poor parts fitted at the factory. If yours has this problem it would present itself with knocking at the front.

2. though 65000km was not much, it is plenty of time for the clutch and/or brakes to get nackered. This of course depends on the driving style of the previous owners, but probably worth checking. Mine became clear with squeaking/squeeling when accelerating from 1st gear. Had my clutch changed for 500EUR

In short, I would consider getting the Octavia III (facelift) if I had been a bit wiser last summer...Skoda seem to have 'solved' many of the problems that were present with the pre-facelift model.

Though, saying that, I love my car and certainly don't be put off from a VRS. Plus the seats you will get are incredibly comfortable, the 200BHP power is amazing and in my opinion it is a wonderful car to drive!

All in all...any second hand car is a risk to some extent...but if it feels good, do it! :)

OK so I am hoping this other guy online doesnt get his sold as his looks better than my first one I was looking at. (I have an arrangement ofter his listing ends)

It has Sat nav but no maxidot, also no cruise control but has jumbo box, 18 zeniths Xenons and rear electric windows along with rear park sensors, I wont say what colour just yet but it wont match my blue suede shoes.

So Maxidot... worth it, easy to fit, how much.

I dont know what model sat nav he has but its the one with buttons down either side and a row of buttons along bottom saying info, radio, cd, tele, aux, navi and map if that helps anyone tell me what I need to fit maxidot.

Also seen a post on retrofitting cruise control, looks too complicated for me when I dont think I will use it enough.

Edited by abarth_1200

Both maxidot and CC can be retrofitted easy enough.

CC will cost around £150-£200. I dont use mine much for cruising as such but I find it fantastic for the long miles of average speed cameras/roadworks. It just set it to 50 and no worries about speeding by accident.

Maxidot is a bit more expensive but the experts in that are Shark Performance who are site sponsors. Some dealers have also retrofitted maxidot but it seems to be very hit and miss which dealers will try it and most seem to give a straight NO it cant be done.

Depending in which satnav system has been fitted it might not be compatible with the maxidot display. Ask which sat nav it is and post back on here for more info.

Question, can I link my iphone to play my music through the car, what option do I need checked?

Also does the Bluetooth handsfree work with the iphone 4S and copy the contacts into memory?

yes you can link your iphone, I have a 3GS you can plug in via an optional cable fitted into the glovebox which fits on to the apple connector at the base of the phone. Down side to this is it stops being a phone at that point. You then use the radio to navigate the music content on the iphone.

You also have an audio jack socket in the jumbo box so a standard 3.5mm? audio jack cable and you can play through the radio - control is via via the IPod thou.

Havent tried via bluetooth but I notice when my phone pairs with the bluetooth the maxidot shows an ipod symbol so Im guessing it knows there is music content, no idea how or indeed if this will work thou.

I have the 3GS which definately works with my facelift VRS factory bluetooth, not certain about older modles compatability - suspect its a case of a software update but others far more knowledgeable than I should be able to tell you. You could also search on some of the posts on the forum on this subject as there are a few..

Best of luck sourcing a car, they realy are great - so good infact we have two.

You can play music from your 3GS via Bluetooth which means it can be a phone aswel... Press play on iPod when connected, press media on stereo then press bt-audio

Edit - not sure if it's the same on the sat nav