banging noise over speed ramps

graham2225

i have had my lovely car now for 5 weeks and started to notice when i go over speed bumps (not more than 5-10mph) a thud from the front but nothing on back shocks.

so was just wondering if other peoples car do the same or if you have any ideas.surely shocks could not be damaged within 5 weeks

graham2225, do you hear that thud on compression or on rebound?

I've heard about these flaps before. What are they and where are they?

As far as I understand, those flaps are inside the vents that are behind the rear bumper:

vent.png

Those vents are designed to allow air to flow freely out of the car preventing dust from being sucked back in if the pressure outside is higher than inside.

But I doubt they can make sounds that seem to come from the front...

Edited by briskycat

Well, I am not sure how strong are the sounds your Yeti makes, but mine makes rather weak thuds on rebound on some narrow speed bumps too. Those thuds become really distinguishable and get accompanied by (sort of) weak squeaking and grinding in the cold. All in all I think it is normal :)

You can spray them in grease and it should silence them for a month or two. It's a common issue with mk5 Golfs, B6 Passats etc. and is to due to the design of the front suspension (sway bar) (I think). My B6 Passat and MY10 Octavia did it too.

The "proper" way is to remove the bushes, grease them properly and put them back but that's OTT. Dousing them in grease while fitted and going for a drive usually does the trick for a good while. :)

I had to tell the dealer to grease them and it did the trick on my Yeti...silence. For now.....

The "proper" way is to remove the bushes, grease them properly and put them back but that's OTT. Dousing them in grease while fitted and going for a drive usually does the trick for a good while. :)

Just one thing to note. I suppose the proper grease should be not just any grease but a silicon-based one. Using oil-based greases could cause the bushes to swell or even to wear out quickly (unless they are made of polyurithane).

yes i had it for a drive today a noticed it was only making a thud noise going up a speed ramp.as above its only been on the road now for 6 weeks and only covered 1026miles. might take it to the dealer on monday.going northen lights hunting now

I wouldn't use grease but rubber lubricant IIRC it's silicone based and in spray form. We used to spray it on rubber door seals in winter to stop them freezing up.

WD40 may have the same effect

so should i take it to the dealer or should i put some grease on the bushes?

Take it to the dealer. My MINI had a front shock absorber and mount replaced (under warranty) at 4500 miles.

Take it to the dealer. My MINI had a front shock absorber and mount replaced (under warranty) at 4500 miles.

yep shall take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say .shall put an update tomorrow

I've had this thudding noise as well and I think it was mainly from the rear area. It really took me by surprise as for the speed we were doing you shouldn't be bottoming out the suspension which is what it sounded like.

I've been more focused on getting my condensation issues sorted and have just driven over speed bumps very slowly since :hi: