Fitting a vrs front bumper on a standard FL Octy?

Hi,

I have a standard FL Octavia, i really like the FL VRS front bumper as i have fallen in love with those drl leds & front air dam, is it easy to fit a VRS front bumper on my FL Octy?

is it easy to get the front drl leds to work on my car without getting the light bulb error? has anyone here done this?

Thanks..

when had the acident I asked about the VRS bumper

Price is about the same + grills

The fog light is cheaper but the DRL led is expensive

Their is a proper kit for instalation

The diference in price in total was about 250€

• 1 month later...

It's been done (on the pre-FL)!

03_-970532506.jpg

More pics:

http://www.finn.no/f...nnkode=30568003

Does your FL Octavia already have the front fog lights and DRL's (Elegance & L&K)?

If so then wiring up the DRL's and getting them to work as they should won't be an issue.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

03_-970532506.jpg

More pics:

Does your FL Octavia already have the front fog lights and DRL's (Elegance & L&K)?

If so then wiring up the DRL's and getting them to work as they should won't be an issue.

That looks sweet even better than a facelift but how did he do it or shape it to fit!

There will have been some modding between the wheel arch and headlight (the FL has a 'lift' to meet the curved headlight compared to the pre-FL's straight line) but other than that I think it's pretty much a straight swap.

The FL bonnet is the same as the pre-FL it just has a different grill...

2009-skoda-octavia-rs-4.jpg

Edited by silver1011

I like the FL vRS, the LED DRL's look brill, however I still see a somewhat femine face with it's swoopy headlights.

The pre-FL is certainly showing it's age now in terms of design but it still looks great!

Take money out of the equation and I'd have the facelift :rock:

I like the FL vRS, the LED DRL's look brill, however I still see a somewhat femine face with it's swoopy headlights.

The pre-FL is certainly showing it's age now in terms of design but it still looks great!

Take money out of the equation and I'd have the facelift :rock:

Ye I like the bumper just not the headlights, it's good tho from the headlights back there both the same.

get the giant amount of bling off the grill surround helps man up the front on most colours I like the chrome on the red ones though

• 2 weeks later...

03_-970532506.jpg

More pics:

Thats great! I have an elegance with fogs and the drl bulbs and ive been desperately looking for some inspiration to go ahead with this mod.

But isnt the wiring completely for the led drls?

I also heard something about some BCM compatibility issues?

You also lose the eyebrow parking lights once you have led drls right?

• 1 month later...

With the LEDS you can simply use a DRL Relay that onced ignition on it will give full power to them.

Once you turn on the sidelights , the relay will reduce to 50% the LEDS intensity. Exactly the same as original.

Thanks.

Im talking about a complete vrs bumper retrofit here.. Are there any compatibility issues with the electronic control module/ BCM??

I want it function like the OE vrs bumper.

From what i've heard the fogs aren't the problem but no one seems to be sure about the led drl's . Apparently the wiring unit is completely different.

This is going to be one expensive endeavor so i just want to be sure..

to get the drls to work you have to change the wiring loom, i m saying again to much cost & headache for it to work oem, not worth it..

But i can get the drls with the wiring kit and the wiring diagram if i decide to go for it. With all that is still going to be difficult to get the drls to function properly?

I can deal with the cost issue. But i dont want to delve into this if there's a chance that i may not get all the original drl functions...

But i can get the drls with the wiring kit and the wiring diagram if i decide to go for it. With all that is still going to be difficult to get the drls to function properly?

I can deal with the cost issue. But i dont want to delve into this if there's a chance that i may not get all the original drl functions...

well if you can source the wiring loom for the drls then they should work, worth a try.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for lifting up this rather old topic, but i have a question related to it.

Could someone tell me how the Wiring works for the OEM VRS FL DRLs? There are three wires, one positive, one ground and what´s the third one for? And what is the order of those wires?

I'd assume that the wiring loom for the DRL's is the same on both the non-vRS and vRS Octavia.

You need to ensure that your non-vRS Octavia has DRL's to start with. Here in the UK only the Elegance and L&K (option on the Scout) get the front fog / halogen DRL light unit in the front bumper. These models therefore have the wiring to feed the DRL's.

The LED DRL's on the vRS have their own power regulating module built into the back of the unit so the 12V supply will be the same as on the non-vRS models.

So in theory fitting a vRS bumper to a non-vRS Octavia should be straight forward as the wiring for the fogs and DRL's will be already present. Getting them to work in the same way as the vRS will be a different challenge!

If your facelift Octavia doesn't have front fogs / DRL's fitted from the factory then the wiring won't be there and it will be more complicated,

What you also need to consider is that the LED DRL's on the vRS are dual function, they dim to perform the function of sidelights/parking lights.

The non-vRS OCtavia operates differently, the side/parking light function is performed by the traditional 5W bulb in the main headlight cluster. The DRL doesn't dim, it is turned off completely when the lights are on (side or dipped headlights).

The propblem is that the car's CANBUS system is programmed to tell it that it is a vRS and therefore the way it operates the DRL's (dimming) is different to the CANBUS on a non-vRS Octavia where the DRL is programmed to turn off completely.

The standard 5W sidelights are still present on the vRS in the headlight but they aren't wired up.

Whether the CANBUS on a non-vRS can be re-programmed so that it thinks it is a vRS is the 64 million dollar question!

SkodaOctaviaDRL.jpg

Edited by silver1011