North West Car Fest 25th March

P6bJOHN

This is not a meeting, and I have no connection with Myerscough College, but I noticed this show on the Old Classic Car site, and it is being organised by the Motorsport guys at Myerscough College north of Preston, and they race a Fabia VRS which will be there (amongst other vehicles of theirs.) Various motor clubs inc. the Preston Supercar Meet seem to be going. So I thought it might be of interest. Here's the link.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11719&highlight=

I emailed the link, and the reply was for display cars to be on site between 9 and 10 am, so I would read that as from 10am. I'll be at the head of the queue for the breakfast bacon butties, but I only live 5 miles north.

Edited by P6bJOHN

• 2 weeks later...

It was a bit of a wierd show, very slow start but then a wide variety of cars slowly appeared and then slowly left. But, I did see this:

mrerscough250312015-1.jpg

and then this

mrerscough250312013-1.jpg

Some of this

mrerscough250312006-1.jpg

This, with a rear engined Rover 3.9 V8

mrerscough250312017-1.jpg

A Ford pickup using this

mrerscough250312008-1.jpg

Then I had a little nod in my chair beside this, which is mine

mrerscough250312011-1.jpg

Until some noisy Porsches woke me then I had my sandwiches. :happy:

hi ,i went to this ,,how good did the college fabia look ,i want one .it was a good event ,a few more cars would have been nice

there was nobody taking money on entry .which is a pity coz it was a charity event ...better planning needed next year

There is an article in our local paper stating it might become an annual event. I think they didn't realise the need for greater publicity, add the clocks going forward, the big 2 day classic show at Trafford park, Garstang auto jumble and the Weeton Stages rally all on the same day would not have helped. The charity collection was just a few people rattling tins late on. I hope the post show debrief will highlight these problems. If they have it next year they should allow a longer lead in on the publicity, look at what is also on in the area when they pick the date, and organise better exhibit display information/parking. It has the makings of a good event.

• Like 1

I'll be there, but in my Rover, the VRS of 1971 :rofl:

rover24-3-11002-2.jpg

Had a red one of those when I was a student. Great car and pretty modern at the time - the BMW of its day.

Regularly ran out of fuel in it and for some reason, mine hadn't got the reserve lever on the dashboard and it took me a while to realise that it required 2 gallons of fuel before it would restart!

It was pretty thirsty too. I remember a spirited drive up the A1 in the company of a Porsche 924 and a 5 series BMW and I could visibly see the fuel gauge needle moving anti-clockwise :o I reckon it did about 15 to 17 mpg, still petrol was only about £1.50 a gallon at the time.

Ended up getting £100 for it from a scrap yard after it'd been off the road for 12 months as parents refused to give it any more garage space!

I'm in denial about the fuel consumption!, I'm the idiot that buys a V8 auto as we hit a recession and rampant fuel prices. I have seen 24mpg at a steady 65 on the M6, but its somewhere around 18 normally, and if I'm out with some naughty boys of my aquaintance in their TR6's, well I try not to think about it.......

It does seem to attract well preserved ladies of a certain vintage when I park up, the old Rovers must have seen some posh totty action back in the day. :giggle: