Waited 10 months for my Scout. Sold it after just 5 months.

Not on facelift models they aren't ;)

really? I adjusted it on my pre FL Octay and the very same settings on my Yeti (which is really a FL Octay on stilts after all) have cut the headlamp washing. Can't see why it wouldn't work on a FL Octy.

Just my thoughts...

Bad points:

Far too much engine noise - compared to what?

Clunky gearchange - I'd call it precise. I get the occasional grumble going from 1st to 2nd when cold but other than that the gear change is great.

Pulsating feeling through clutch pedal (dealer said its completely normal) - mine doesn't do this.

Headlamp washers waste gallons of expensive screenwash - pull the fuse.

Poor fuel consumption 42mpg overall average over 5000 miles - it's not even run in yet, mpg will improve but remember it's a 4x4.

High loading lip in boot - you should have ordered the variable boot floor.

Ridge in middle of loading bay with back seats folded - as above.

Front seats feel too narrow - mine feel fine, perhaps I'm narrower than you?

Nowhere comfortable to rest my right elbow when driving - there is a ledge behind the window switches or a higher up there is the window sill.

225/50/17 tyres are expensive. Ride was better on my 205/55/16 winter steel wheels - run with the 16's all year. I paid £120 a corner for Dunlop Sport SP 01's which I thought was quite good.

No suitable jacking points for a trolley jack - use the jacking points on the sills. They are strong enough I have used them before with no issues.

Let us know what you replace it with :thumbup:

I'm lost for words! Even with the rarety of Scouts that's gonna have been a big hit on the pocket to change a car for those issues. Most of them were either resolveable or should have been known/researched prior to purchase! I can't get my head around taking thousands of pounds worth of depreciation because 17" tires are expensive and the engine hasn't been run in. But then after 5 months if you feel it's just not for you.. what do you do

I'm sure the next owner will be delighted to get a nearly new Scout without a wait! Keen to know what you have replaced it with!

I suppose my post was always going to stimulate a lot of responses. To answer some of your questions:

Test drive? Yes, but 15 minutes with the dealer nattering away in your left ear obviously isn't enough. Also the test drive car was a PD engine and I convinced myself the CR that I was getting would be quieter. In reality I think they are exactly the same.

Depreciation? No, I didn't lose any money due to list price increase and the VAT free campaign coming to and end

Other: I should have ordered the variable boot floor.

Next car: I haven't really given that a lot of thought. Any ideas?

Good luck to the new owner, wherever they may be.

Audi A4 Allroad

Audi A6 Allroad

Volvo XC70

Subaru Forester

My choice would be to wait for the new 4x4 VW Passat called the Alltrack that is due in April, it looks fab!

VWPassatAlltrack.jpg

wow you are saying that the CR is no quieter than the PD?! You must have had a dodgy engine if that was the case.....Mine sounds like a petrol.....in fact a few people have said 'I thought you said it was a diesel'.

If its not right for you then sell it so fair enough really. Ive got 13k on my vrs and am getting rid as well (hopefully). You need a car that's right for you. Everyone has their own opinion on their car. Hope the next car is better.

I've been looking at swapping my MPI estate, but can't afford the depreciation hit...if I could swap and not lose much then I would, so I can understand if someone wants to switch car so soon and can afford to, they would!

If you've found the Scout disappointing then I wouldn't bother with the A4, A6 or Passat all-road options, as they're all pretty much the same just with a bigger engine and sometimes posher parts, oh and a significantly higher price! If you want more mpg, and better handling then perhaps a non-4x4 is for you. We've just changed our old Scout for a newer Scout so I can only agree with previous posts, but yeah you do need a good test drive, and a car does need to be right for you.

• 1 month later...

Update: I ended up getting a Mondeo Estate TDCi 140 Tit X and after 2 months I have to say that I'm delighted with it. Obviously it's not the same class of car as the Scout (not 4x4 etc.) but here is my comparison anyway:

Things I like better on the Skoda (or miss on the Ford):

• 4x4 / ground clearance (obviously)
  • Overall build quality / feeling of solidity
  • Bolero radio (especially SD card reader)
  • Turning circle
  • Hill hold control
  • Conventional keyed ignition
  • Lots of cubby holes / storage pockets

Things I like better on the Ford:

• Quiet (engine, road noise and wind noise all significantly better than the Skoda)
  • Silky smooth clutch
  • Pleasant gear selector
  • Handling and ride
  • Tailgate wider, no loading lip, easier to open and close
  • Seats, cabin space and driving position / ergonomics
  • Heated windscreen (not needed it yet but had a Ford with this before and it is a great feature)
  • Glovebox bigger

Pointless features on the Ford:

• Heated and cooled front seats
  • Keyless (button start) ignition
  • Cornering headlights

Fuel consumption is slightly better on the Ford but its done 15K so is fully run in. I haven't tried towing yet but one of the reasons for choosing the Mondeo was the higher towball noseweight limit and higher towing capacity / kerbweight.

I assume the Mondeo is a few years old as the latest generation 2.0 TDCi is 163bhp?

If so then you should have a good chunk of extra cash in your pocket too after selling the Scout.

Glad you found a car that better suits your needs/expectations.

Correct, it's a 2010 model. I chose it specifically because it doesn't have silly 18" (or even bigger) alloys and the torque curve on the 140 suits my driving style better than the 163 (which is much peakier). I had half of the price of the Scout on Skoda finance so I haven't got any cash burning a hole in my pocket. Now I must get round to selling my steel winter wheels off the Scout (I'll keep the tyres for the Mondeo though)

You sound like you're from the same camp as Honest John. He's got a bee in his bonnet about large wheels and low profile tyres. It seems that the majority of cars he's asked about also need to accommodate one or two sets of golf clubs. Guess that's the target demographic...

• Like 1

You sound like you're from the same camp as Honest John. He's got a bee in his bonnet about large wheels and low profile tyres. It seems that the majority of cars he's asked about also need to accommodate one or two sets of golf clubs. Guess that's the target demographic...

I was thinking the same.......I love my silly wheels on mine!

Test drive? Yes, but 15 minutes with the dealer nattering away in your left ear obviously isn't enough.

Blimey!! When I test drove 2 Octys last year the (main) dealer just gave me the keys and left me to it. She was also quite surprised that I came back "so soon"..................an hour later!!! :o :o :o Apparently I could have had the car for the day. but I had other things on the go sadly.